Nine Burmese Job Seekers Killed In Thailand

churchill

Nine Burmese Job Seekers Killed In Thailand

MAE SOT: -- Nine Burmese job seekers were killed by unknown gunmen near the Thai-Burmese border town of Mae Sot, Thai police reported.

A Thai police official in Phop Phra, in western Thailand's Tak Province, told The Irrawaddy on Monday that the nine victims were among a party of 12 Burmese job seekers traveling from Mae Sot last Thursday.

Four of the dead were women. The remaining three Burmese escaped.

A Phop Phra police official said the killers were being sought.

The bodies of the dead were discarded in various locations, the official said.

According to media reports, the killers demanded 1,000 baht (US $33) from each of the job seekers.

The Thai news agency Manager online said local Thai militia were suspected of killing the job seekers.

Myo Zaw, officer in charge of the Mae Sot-based Yaung Chi Oo Workers Association, said job seekers were frequently targeted by local gunmen. It was one of the hazards they faced in seeking employment in Thailand, he said.

Of the 3 million Burmese migrant workers in Thailand, an estimated 200,000 live in and around Mae Sot.

Source: http://www.irrawaddy.org/article.php?art_id=17710

2010-02-01

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

A dispicable act by people who have absolutely no moral fibre to their being. These poor, poor people come to Thailand to work their guts out for very little money. I hope the offenders are bought to justice, but, sadly, I doubt it. It would also seem to appear as a warning sign to others, "Pay" - or suffer the same fate. Thailand - The Land of Smiles - is fast becoming Thailand - The Land of Shame.

These massacres (no other words fit) make it into the English language press. Run of the mill single murders might make it into the Thai language press if it's a quiet day for news and the body is found.

Such injustice. Makes you think how lucky we are.

Terrible news those poor people! I hope the scum responsible are brought to justice and rot in hel_l

I am not sure I have grasped the news cutting correctly, am I right in thinking that these unfortunate people were offered work and a free passage into Thailand by the military? then a demand for 1000 THB which they could not/would not pay was made, which resulted in them being executed?

Another nail in Thailands human rights coffin! What a F%&/* up country

What horrible, evil persons could do such a terrible deed? :)

Thai people!......... Every week in the north (mae sai,mae sot ,soppong, mae hong song), every week near phuket (ranong),(remember how many burmese died in the truck 2 years ago ), every week near Surat ,Chumpon on fishing boats, every week in the south (Sadao's flesh trade) and so on , oh and don't forget Yala Narathiwat Pattani rubber bizness murders......... cause here they don't die for 1000 baths but for free... Amazing country isn't it ?

You'll find it reported in thai local newspapers but in thai language.

Very sad; but it happens almost everywhere in the world.

When poor migrants try to enter another country fleeing from their country for either war, or seeking a better a living ; if they were not lucky enough they either will got caught up by fierce border-police ; or Mafia-like gangs who prey on those poor souls.

I'm so sick of the "it happens everywhere in the world" crowd. I see this crowd on too many threads. Is that supposed to be some sort of a defense for Thailand? Are you saying if it happens there, why not here? If they can do it, why can't I? It happens somewhere else so we should not be denouncing it here? Childish thinking, get a clue, wake up! Your missing the whole point. It's wrong and should not happen anywhere! Now you pissed me off.

Sad, very very Sad , How can anybody with a bit of humanity in them not care , My wife has a Burmese lady friend, who walked through the Jungles for three months to escape the Burmese authorities, She now lives in Samut Sakon Bangkok, Working in a factory for half the pay of the Thais employed there, But she says she is happy because she is alive , A real leveler makes me think how lucky I am. hope they find peace.

UPDATE

Police Investigate Mass Murder of Myanmar Workers in Tak Province

TAK: -- The commander of Region 6 Provincial Police traveled to Tak province to follow up on the investigation into the murder of Myanmar migrant workers.

The investigation team believes that government officials were involved in the crime.

Commander of Region 6 Provincial Police, Police Lieutenant General Surasee Suntornsaratul traveled to Mae Sot district in Tak province to meet with the investigation team looking into the Myanmar migrant workers murder case.

Earlier this month, authorities discovered seven Myanmar and ethnic Karen migrant worker's bullet-ridden bodies scattered around the province, while two others remain missing.

The police believe that government officials were involved in the crime and that the suspects will be apprehended within the next few days.

The regional police commander revealed that the victims had gathered in Myanmar on January 19 before crossing border into Thailand sometime between January 20 and 22.

The authorities believe that the murder was motivated by a financial dispute.

Also from the investigation, police are presuming that at least three government officials were involved in the crime.

One of them was a local police officer who committed suicide.

According to the latest report, the police have already requested a warrant to search another police officer's house.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-02-03

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• 2 weeks later...

I asume the killers are still free and are well protectet?

Things like this will not stop as long some (police/officials) stay over the law.

I hope somebody will look at the killings and also at the situation of the Burmeses migrant workers in there things like this are possible.