May 5, 200521 yr Hi I am a Canadian planning on spending 6 months in LOS.My provincial medical coverage covers me for emergency medical treatment for up to 6 months while I am away from home. They only pay Canadian rates for treatment which should be more than adequate in LOS. However the payment would be a reimbursement rather than a direct disbursement to a health care provider. I am looking for health insurance carrier to pay any costs inccured and then await reimbursement from my government plan. Any suggestions and any idea what costs may be. thanks prairieoyster
May 17, 200521 yr HiI am a Canadian planning on spending 6 months in LOS. <{POST_SNAPBACK}> I didn't bother getting additional insurance when I last went to LOS. I knew that my (Ontario) insurance would cover me for any emergencies, and that was good enough for me. I did, though, take extra care to have a complete physical before I left, and I made several trips to a travel clinic for booster shots and extra advice. Aside from that, though, unless you have a chronic illness of some kind, I'd think that your provincial plan might be just fine.
May 21, 200521 yr We use www.viator.ca. It's for Canadians who no longer have provincial health coverage. It was recommended to us by other Canadians who have had good experience with it. We also used TIC (Travel Insurance Co-ordinators) as excess medical coverage while we still had provincial coverage. I'd make sure to check your provincial plan. We're from Alberta and we lost our provincial coverage 3 months after being outside the province. Edited May 21, 200521 yr by earlofwindermere
Create an account or sign in to comment