Site Issue - Anoying Me Big Time

mrkojak

Hi All,

Not sure if someone has already made mention of this annoyance. But I need to mention it to the creators of this website. I notice that the Breaking News ticker at the top, is making the webpages shift up/down as I am reading the posts. This AFAIK never use to happen.

And not been one to usually complain about these things, but I am using Firefox and it is annoying the Sh*t out of me. My eyesight's already bad as it is. I'll check to see if it happens in IE as well.

Can the site administrator please rectify this..?

Cheers

i am much more annoyed by the fact that the breaking news has almost completely excluded all sources but the nation.

i used to regularly check the news section because it provided a great overview off a number of news sources, now, generally, it is simply a repository of poorly written nation articles that are little more than soundbite and provide little information beyond a lead.

it is simply a repository of poorly written nation articles that are little more than soundbite and provide little information beyond a lead.

True - it's good to get the news, but it would be better if they could be edited a bit before reaching this site to remove some of the howlers and other very badly written sections. Doesn't show ThaiVisa in a particularly good light, and in my opinion only serves to bring the poor quality of The Nation's journalism to a wider audience.

unhappy with the news: this has been hashed and re-hashed and yet I will say it again: you want other news, post it. guidelines in the news clippings. nothing is stopping regular members from sourcing news too.

editing a printed news source. hmm, wonder how the newspaper would feel about that? We are given permission to post their articles in full, unlike most other news sources, but as far as I am aware we have not been given permission to edit those articles.

breaking news: there a few other threads running and as far as I can tell, it often has to do with screen resolution. Please check the other threads and see if any of the several solutions listed there solve this problem.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Turn-Flashin...ws-t319779.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Annoying-Bre...ws-t318872.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/breaking-New...er-t313901.html

Cheers, and if you

unhappy with the news: this has been hashed and re-hashed and yet I will say it again: you want other news, post it.

Sorry, must have mis-understood then. I was under the impression that ThaiVisa was providing a news service of sorts, and that one of the functions it is fulfilling is to broadcast news to members and other readers of the site. If, as you seem to imply here, we are actually supposed to provide the news ourselves for others to read then OK, but that's not the impression that's given by sending out "Breaking News" emails and such-like. But, anyway, thanks for clarifying.

OK, thanks, will bear it in mind if I read some other news elsewhere which isn't in one of the forebidden publications.

See the guidelines, forbidden but not necessarily by us.

You are more than welcome to take an active part in facilitating positive change in the news, but well, webfact can't get everything all the time. Why not give him a break and contribute to what is, after all, a forum. For example, you don't like the news, find news that is appropriate, you've been a member long enough (as has t.s.) to be cognizant of whats legal and what breaks forum rules. If you look, it doesn't have to be from webfact. other members post too. follow the guidelines. if you see something interesting, make sure you post in the right forum (ex: if its something about Samui, post in the samui forum and not general unless its really big news, same goes for say Nakhon Si thammarat, post in Southern). If its big news or general thailand news, follow the guidelines and post in general, then report your post to a mod on duty and ask it be considered for news.

We pinned the guidelines so that members would understand what was needed to help post news.

See the guidelines, forbidden but not necessarily by us.

Yes, I'm aware that your hand was forced in some cases.

You are more than welcome to take an active part in facilitating positive change in the news, but well, webfact can't get everything all the time. Why not give him a break and contribute to what is, after all, a forum.

The original comments I gave weren't meant as a critiscism of the webfact and other people posting the news, who I think do a very thorough and good job. Was just about the content that comes from The Nation which, at times, is of a pretty poor standard. The editing I was suggesting was just to remove some of the more glaring mistakes, but I guess maybe even doing that isn't allowed.

Mind you, doesn't seem like The Nation takes comments such as these on board - like the huge "througout" banner than was on the site for ages and remained uncorrected despite numerous comments on the forum while it was up there.

Anyway, regarding other news sources, thanks for giving those pointers on how we can help.