Help,my Computer Takes Ages To Load

thaimate

As you may guess i am not to computer literate,i have a 4 year old dell and when i switch on ,it takes ages to load ,i keep getting something called accurate shutdown to purchase,acrobat ,msn today and windows messenger loading .

how can i stop this happening ,i just want to go straight to google ,any help much appreciated.

Two things you can do to help cure slow system startup...

1. Clear Startup Items

Open Start menu >> Run, type in: MSCONFIG <press enter> to launch the System Configuration Utility.

Click the Startup tab. You should see a bunch of check boxes; uncheck those items you don't wish to run at startup.

2. Scanning for Malware

Download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (it's free).

Make sure the program is fully updated before performing a scan. If you suspect your computer is infected, disconnect from the internet prior to scanning.

Select everything that MBAM finds, click "remove selected". You MUST restart your computer when prompted.

After reboot, run a quick scan again; to make sure the system is clean.

Edited by Supernova

Follow supernova's advice!

If you don't know what startup processes to disable, use autoruns to save a text file and post it here.

About Accurate Shutdown.

Accurate Shutdown seems to be a valid program, it's listed on download.com and softpedia.com. It doesn't seem overly popular though, probably because it has only a 7-day trial phase and then requires purchase at 25 USD.

Manufacturer's description:

Accurate Shutdown is a powerful automatic software that turns off your computer and at the user-specified time. It can turn off / reboot / logoff the computer, turn off the monitor only, disconnect from the Internet, and execute one or a group of programs. It can synchronize your PC's time to atomic clock servers in world. This application has many timer options that will meet the needs and requirements of all kinds of users on various occasions. This version is the first release on CNET Download.com.

I recommend you uninstall if you don't need it, or don't want to pay. I'm sure there are free solutions to achieve what you need.

After you followed Supernova's advice, assuming here you are running XP given the age of your Dell, do 2 more things.

1. Disc Clean Up

Go Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Disc Cleanup

Select C drive and make sure all but the last 2 boxes are ticked.

2. Defragment

Go Start...follow as in 1. just select in System Tools - Disc Defragmenter

Select C drive...defragment...go get a coffee because it will take some time

1. Clear Startup Items

Open Start menu >> Run, type in: MSCONFIG <press enter> to launch the System Configuration Utility.

Click the Startup tab. You should see a bunch of check boxes; uncheck those items you don't wish to run at startup.

2. Scanning for Malware

Make sure the program is fully updated before performing a scan. If you suspect your computer is infected, disconnect from the internet prior to scanning.

Select everything that MBAM finds, click "remove selected". You MUST restart your computer when prompted.

thanks i have already used malwarbytes,as for the first part ,how do i know what isnt needed on startup?,sorry to be so dumb.

After you followed Supernova's advice, assuming here you are running XP given the age of your Dell, do 2 more things.

1. Disc Clean Up

Go Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Disc Cleanup

Select C drive and make sure all but the last 2 boxes are ticked.

2. Defragment

Go Start...follow as in 1. just select in System Tools - Disc Defragmenter

Select C drive...defragment...go get a coffee because it will take some time

thanks done this before .

Follow supernova's advice!

If you don't know what startup processes to disable, use autoruns to save a text file and post it here.

About Accurate Shutdown.

Accurate Shutdown seems to be a valid program, it's listed on download.com and softpedia.com. It doesn't seem overly popular though, probably because it has only a 7-day trial phase and then requires purchase at 25 USD.

Manufacturer's description:

Accurate Shutdown is a powerful automatic software that turns off your computer and at the user-specified time. It can turn off / reboot / logoff the computer, turn off the monitor only, disconnect from the Internet, and execute one or a group of programs. It can synchronize your PC's time to atomic clock servers in world. This application has many timer options that will meet the needs and requirements of all kinds of users on various occasions. This version is the first release on CNET Download.com.

I recommend you uninstall if you don't need it, or don't want to pay. I'm sure there are free solutions to achieve what you need.

sorry dont even know what a text file is :) dumb arnt i?

Consider Ubuntu.

is this some sort of African language or dance ritual? :)

The word is drawn from the Bantu language of southern Africa, and is also the name chosen for a popular distribution of Linux, very simple for the desktop user, like M$ Windows once was.

By definition, the Bantu term 'Ubuntu' means that no man is an island, or, we can only succeed in our lives by the good conduct we give and take from and to our community of others. It's much like the 'herd syndrome' idea, but then how about Microsoft for herd syndrome?

You can download the .iso file for the latest version of Ubuntu Linux Here and cut it to a CD for installation as a second choice operating system, and it will do all the flashy stuff and log in here on TV just the same.

The operating syhstem I am running right now to type this post was installed at 3pm this afternoon, and I still need to arrange my pretty desktop background but I have Skype and seamonkey added to the standard Firefox web browser.

Drop your second-rate system and progress with the times, my friend. Ubuntu is free.

Consider Ubuntu.

is this some sort of African language or dance ritual? :)

The word is drawn from the Bantu language of southern Africa, and is also the name chosen for a popular distribution of Linux, very simple for the desktop user, like M$ Windows once was.

By definition, the Bantu term 'Ubuntu' means that no man is an island, or, we can only succeed in our lives by the good conduct we give and take from and to our community of others. It's much like the 'herd syndrome' idea, but then how about Microsoft for herd syndrome?

You can download the .iso file for the latest version of Ubuntu Linux Here and cut it to a CD for installation as a second choice operating system, and it will do all the flashy stuff and log in here on TV just the same.

The operating syhstem I am running right now to type this post was installed at 3pm this afternoon, and I still need to arrange my pretty desktop background but I have Skype and seamonkey added to the standard Firefox web browser.

Drop your second-rate system and progress with the times, my friend. Ubuntu is free.

AS you may guess my computer knowledge is limited to say the least,you could have just written what you just wrote in urdu and i would have been none the wiser :D

AS you may guess my computer knowledge is limited to say the least,you could have just written what you just wrote in urdu and i would have been none the wiser :)

If you can handle a 699Mb download on your Internet connection, and have a spare CD you can burn, then click on the link below, and download the file that will rid you of all those Microsoft problems, and I will try to see you through the adjustment tomorrow. It's very easy, and Firefox web browser is standard equipment, so have faith that you'll never walk alone.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

Better to wipe it, and reinstall the OS. Maybe even a fresh HD. However that being said 4yr old computer is well old, might think about a new one. (life cycle for a computer is usually 3yrs)

Sure, that is maybe what the industry would like to tell you but it ain't necessarily true.  Unless you are an avid gamer in which case upgrading every other year would be necessary, any old machine can run most of what is needed and used.

Windows 7 by all accounts runs pretty well on lower (older) spec machines.  And then there are still other options like Ubuntu and other Linux distros that are less resource hungry and will too run on lower spec machines just fine.

And now, the end is near;

And so I face the final curtain.

My friend, I'll say it clear,

I'll state my case, of which I'm certain.

I've lived a life that's full.

I've traveled each and ev'ry highway;

But more, much more than this,

I did it my way.

Regrets, I've had a few;

But then again, too few to mention.

I did what I had to do

And saw it through without exemption.

I planned each charted course;

Each careful step along the byway,

But more, much more than this,

I did it my way.

Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew

When I bit off more than I could chew.

But through it all, when there was doubt,

I ate it up and spit it out.

I faced it all and I stood tall;

And did it my way.

I've loved, I've laughed and cried.

I've had my fill; my share of losing.

And now, as tears subside,

I find it all so amusing.

To think I did all that;

And may I say - not in a shy way,

"No, oh no not me,

I did it my way".

For what is a man, what has he got?

If not himself, then he has naught.

To say the things he truly feels;

And not the words of one who kneels.

The record shows I took the blows -

And did it my way.

Download Ubuntu my friend.

Edited by SeanMoran

AS you may guess my computer knowledge is limited to say the least,you could have just written what you just wrote in urdu and i would have been none the wiser :)

If you can handle a 699Mb download on your Internet connection, and have a spare CD you can burn, then click on the link below, and download the file that will rid you of all those Microsoft problems, and I will try to see you through the adjustment tomorrow. It's very easy, and Firefox web browser is standard equipment, so have faith that you'll never walk alone.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

Maybe he wants to use a USB modem such as CAT EVDO or maybe he already has some Windows programs that he wants to use. Then what?

1. Download and run the program
  2. Press CTRL-S or the floppy symbol in the toolbar
  3. Change 'Save as type' to 'Text (.txt)'
  4. Your 'documents' folder should be selected. Choose any folder you want to save the file, just remember where.
  5. Click the 'Save' button
  6. Open the folder (maybe start menu -> my documents) and find the file 'autoruns.txt'
  7. Double click the file. Notepad will start and display the contents of the file.
  8. Press CTRL-A or from the menu 'Edit / Select all'
  9. Copy the text and post it into this topic

Also consider:

Backing up your all your data (pictures, favorites/bookmarks, everything) and have your system wiped and re-installed by a professional. Make sure it's a good one otherwise you might end up with more problems than before :D

welo

1. Download and run the program
  2. Press CTRL-S or the floppy symbol in the toolbar
  3. Change 'Save as type' to 'Text (.txt)'
  4. Your 'documents' folder should be selected. Choose any folder you want to save the file, just remember where.
  5. Click the 'Save' button
  6. Open the folder (maybe start menu -> my documents) and find the file 'autoruns.txt'
  7. Double click the file. Notepad will start and display the contents of the file.
  8. Press CTRL-A or from the menu 'Edit / Select all'
  9. Copy the text and post it into this topic

Also consider:

Backing up your all your data (pictures, favorites/bookmarks, everything) and have your system wiped and re-installed by a professional. Make sure it's a good one otherwise you might end up with more problems than before :D

I think this is what i will do ,i usually take my computer to Pattaya2 u in tuk com ,or have you any sugestions ,i dont use my computer for much more than on here ,e mail and reading the papers online so its not worth buying a new computer.

welo

LOL. Some folks never cease to amaze me... The OP clearly has no knowledge of computers, let alone basic Windows concepts, and your suggesting he/she install Ubuntu?!

thanks i have already used malwarbytes,as for the first part ,how do i know what isnt needed on startup?

No one can give you a clear answer. We need to know what's in the startup list. There are two ways you can achieve this; use the Autoruns utility as suggested by 'welo', or do the following:

1. Copy and paste the code below to Notepad;

@ECHO OFF
setlocal
MD "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\ThaiVisa"
SET RUNKEY=Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
reg export "HKCU\%RUNKEY%" "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\ThaiVisa\Run_HKCU.txt"
reg export "HKLM\%RUNKEY%" "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\ThaiVisa\Run_HKLM.txt"
endlocal

2. Press CTRL+S to save, or goto the "File" menu and click: "Save As..."

3. Save the file to your Desktop; you can give it whatever name you like as long as it has a .cmd extension (e.g., myfile.cmd)

4. Double-click the file you've just saved. A black window will flash onscreen and quickly disappear;

5. Look for a "ThaiVisa" folder on your Desktop;

6. In this folder are two files: Run_HKCU.txt and Run_HKLM.txt

7. Use the forum Attachment Editor to attach both files with your next post.

:)

I think you said you ran a Disk Defragment on it already. Anyhow on systems that are used a lot or for some time the #1 problem with a computer running slow is fragmented files on the hard disk. So in general, the first step tep is to dfragment the hard drive. If this hasn't been doe for some time (or ever) it will take quite a while the frirst time you run it,

The second thing is to find all those programs you have accumulated and that are started automatically when you bot up andstat the computer. If you're not sure how you should do that, get a computer savvy friend who is willing to help and show you. Basically the idea is like cleaning the house, getting rd of all the trash you acumulated, even if it seemed like a good thing to have at one time, but now you never use again.

fter you do the houseleaning, you need to run a disk deframent. That will recover all the free spacethat those programs you removed used to occupy and retur it as aailable for more programs.

:D

post your startup stuff here for us.

those startup that are in running status.

1. Clear Startup Items

2. Scanning for Malware

thanks i have already used malwarbytes,as for the first part ,how do i know what isnt needed on startup?,sorry to be so dumb.

LOL. Some folks never cease to amaze me... The OP clearly has no knowledge of computers, let alone basic Windows concepts, and your suggesting he/she install Ubuntu?!
thanks i have already used malwarbytes,as for the first part ,how do i know what isnt needed on startup?

No one can give you a clear answer. We need to know what's in the startup list. There are two ways you can achieve this; use the Autoruns utility as suggested by 'welo', or do the following:

1. Copy and paste the code below to Notepad;

@ECHO OFF
setlocal
MD "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\ThaiVisa"
SET RUNKEY=Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
reg export "HKCU\%RUNKEY%" "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\ThaiVisa\Run_HKCU.txt"
reg export "HKLM\%RUNKEY%" "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\ThaiVisa\Run_HKLM.txt"
endlocal

2. Press CTRL+S to save, or goto the "File" menu and click: "Save As..."

3. Save the file to your Desktop; you can give it whatever name you like as long as it has a .cmd extension (e.g., myfile.cmd)

4. Double-click the file you've just saved. A black window will flash onscreen and quickly disappear;

5. Look for a "ThaiVisa" folder on your Desktop;

6. In this folder are two files: Run_HKCU.txt and Run_HKLM.txt

7. Use the forum Attachment Editor to attach both files with your next post.

Sorry, to the OP, I might be wrong - but if it is so that he, as he claims has "no Knowledge" of a computer, how he figures it is "slow" at start up? :)

Compare to 15 seconds 5 are much faster, compared to 24 hrs. in a day, how much are 5 Min. compared to 10 Sec. how much are 10 Nanosec's?

If I start up the machine, I go and make coffee, in between sugar and milk, I type in the password and UN... and have a sip of freshly brewed coffee, then everything is ready to start my working day...and rule of fist: "I am the boss, not the laptop or PC!"

Sorry, to the OP, I might be wrong - but if it is so that he, as he claims has "no Knowledge" of a computer, how he figures it is "slow" at start up? :)

Compare to 15 seconds 5 are much faster, compared to 24 hrs. in a day, how much are 5 Min. compared to 10 Sec. how much are 10 Nanosec's?

LOL. It doesn't take a "genius" to figure out there's a problem when a computer takes 5 minutes to startup. The OP never gave a time frame, but you get the idea...

While I may find some members suggestions to be somewhat over-the-top, I can appreciate the fact that they still offered the OP a solution. I don't see you offering any solutions other than to be overly critical of my comments. :D

If I start up the machine, I go and make coffee, in between sugar and milk, I type in the password and UN... and have a sip of freshly brewed coffee, then everything is ready to start my working day...and rule of fist: "I am the boss, not the laptop or PC!"

Of course -- that's the way it ought to be, and that's the way it is. So what's your problem?!