Koi Pond - How To Get Rid Of The Green Water

I have 2 Koi ponds, one in the front of the house and one in the back garden. The one in the front is always clear and requires almost no maintenance while the one in the back is always cloudy with green water. I have a 3-well, canal-type fliter system with lava rocks, etc. on the back and two water falls to keep the water circulating. I emptied 3/4 of the water and cleaned the filter system and it seemed to help for a few days but now the water is back to green. I don't want to add a lot of chemicals but want to know if there is a certain type of fish or something that can help clear the water. Really strange since the front pond is also so clear with no maintenance but no matter how much I do in the back nothing seems to help. Any advice will be appreciated.

Can you put some talapia fish in there? They actually filter algae out through their gills, works for me in one of my ponds.

And they make good eating too :)

If you have a corner that you can cordon off to keep the fish out, floating some water-lettuce will help reduce the nutrient content of the pond. It's fast growing so if it gets out of hand move it into the main pond, the fish love it.

That green stuff is algae. Keep the sun away. Don't fertilize the water. Bring in the clowns (snails). Filter the water.

The pond is well shaded and only gets about an hour of morning sun while the front pond is in the sun most of the day. The water runs through the filters 4 times a day.

UV light did the trick for me but the water should be constantly running through it, use it in conjunction with your waterfall and maintain the correct Ph level, and put as many plants as you can in.

Check out this link

http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/koipond/water_quality.html

Thanks. What type of plants? The pond is cement and about 1.3 meters deep.

What's water lettuce called in Thai? Any other decent plants that absorb this algae?

It looks like this

water_lettuce.jpg

and is found all over the place, just grab a couple of plants and you're away.

Additional plants don't absorb the algae, they absorb the excess nutrients that encourage the algae.

We've got Tilipia (Pla Nin) in with Koi and Goldfish in the condo pond, everyone seems happy. The Tilipia breed like rabbits so eating a few is always in order.

What's water lettuce called in Thai? Any other decent plants that absorb this algae?

It looks like this

water_lettuce.jpg

Additional plants don't absorb the algae, they absorb the excess nutrients that encourage the algae.

We've got Tilipia (Pla Nin) in with Koi and Goldfish in the condo pond, everyone seems happy. The Tilipia breed like rabbits so eating a few is always in order.

Thanks, I'll give this a go and see what happens.

Do try to keep the fish away from it though, they nibble the roots and stop it growing as fast as it should. Left to its own devices it multiplies rapidly.

Do try to keep the fish away from it though, they nibble the roots and stop it growing as fast as it should. Left to its own devices it multiplies rapidly.

Thanks, I may try to put it in some large (elevated) pots or maybe put up some fencing in one corner.

Tilapia and Koy get on well together. I have two ponds one has around 500 Tilapia and maybe 50 Koy, they live together in peace and harmony with no algae.

My big pond feeds a small one via an underground pipe to a waterfall, the small pond is maybe 2 meters by 5 meters, but only 18" deep. It was always as green as a green thing in a green place, we tried all manner of plants but still every day had to scoop out net fulls of green slime. I read about Tilapia filtering out the water so as a last resort put in around 10 Tilapia. Within 7 days the water was clear. It just simply works,

Regrettably you need so many plants on a smallish shallow pond to do any good that they cover the surface, but still do not clear the pond anyway near as well as Tilapia.

Tilapia and Koy get on well together. I have two ponds one has around 500 Tilapia and maybe 50 Koy, they live together in peace and harmony with no algae.

My big pond feeds a small one via an underground pipe to a waterfall, the small pond is maybe 2 meters by 5 meters, but only 18" deep. It was always as green as a green thing in a green place, we tried all manner of plants but still every day had to scoop out net fulls of green slime. I read about Tilapia filtering out the water so as a last resort put in around 10 Tilapia. Within 7 days the water was clear. It just simply works,

Regrettably you need so many plants on a smallish shallow pond to do any good that they cover the surface, but still do not clear the pond anyway near as well as Tilapia.

Great, thanks for the advice. I may give the Tilapia a go first and then add a few plants to round it off later. Besides JJ Market any recommendation on where to buy them? I live in the Sathorn area.

OK, I have tried the Tilapia and now have another question..............

I put 31 Tilapia in the pond last Saturday and as of now, the Koi have killed 15 of them. How do you prevent the Koi from killing them long enough for them to be effective against the algae??

OK, I have tried the Tilapia and now have another question..............

I put 31 Tilapia in the pond last Saturday and as of now, the Koi have killed 15 of them. How do you prevent the Koi from killing them long enough for them to be effective against the algae??

Death toll now at 22.

It looks like this

water_lettuce.jpg

Used to call these 'water hyacynths' I think ?? and I am not convinced 'Pla Nin' are That effective against green water, in my experience.

Shade and Correct filtration are probably the answer.

Dave

That is fantastic we have 50 or so Koi and maybe 500 Tilapia, they live together in peace and harmony and never fight or eat each other, how big are your tilapia?

The Koi and Tilapia are both nearly the same size, about 3 inches long.

Dave's quote "Used to call these 'water hyacynths' I think ?? and I am not convinced 'Pla Nin' are That effective against green water, in my experience.

Shade and Correct filtration are probably the answer."

To add my "two bits" worth on this subject! Water hyacinths are a bit different than the picture shown, & have a white & blue/ purple flower.... different leaves! ... but both these plants multiply like wind fire!

But more on the subject, I have a pond in full sun, my land-lady has one in pretty much full shade, she cleans hers at least every two weeks, & uses a small pump that only trickles water.... I've cleaned mine once in 6 months & that was because of dirty well water when topping it up.

More important is good AERATION of the water, if you can find a filtration system that would help too, but I have not seen here... although not looked too hard, either...

I have a fairly heavy duty pump, attached to 1.5 inch pipe. which I have on a timer coming on for about one hour a day, with three fountains, which seems to be enough to keep the water clear... in full sun all day!

Of course having a bigger pump means separating it from sucking up the fish! But when I designed the pond we made three separate areas, one for just the pump... This could be achieved with a filtration box, too Another way would be to add a waterfall, but again a larger pump would be required...

No air in water equals stagnant water! :) Hope this helps!

Edited by samuijimmy

Dave's quote "Used to call these 'water hyacynths' I think ?? and I am not convinced 'Pla Nin' are That effective against green water, in my experience.

To add my "two bits" worth on this subject! Water hyacinths are a bit different than the picture shown, & have a white & blue/ purple flower.... different leaves! ... but both these plants multiply like wind fire!

But more on the subject, I have a pond in full sun, my land-lady has one in pretty much full shade, she cleans hers at least every two weeks, & uses a small pump that only trickles water.... I've cleaned mine once in 6 months & that was because of dirty well water when topping it up.

More important is good AERATION of the water, if you can find a filtration system that would help too, but I have not seen here... although not looked too hard, either...

I have a fairly heavy duty pump, attached to 1.5 inch pipe. which I have on a timer coming on for about one hour a day, with three fountains, which seems to be enough to keep the water clear... in full sun all day!

Of course having a bigger pump means separating it from sucking up the fish! But when I designed the pond we made three separate areas, one for just the pump... This could be achieved with a filtration box, too Another way would be to add a waterfall, but again a larger pump would be required...

No air in water equals stagnant water! :D Hope this helps!

Thanks Jimmy, but I have a 3-well, canal-type fliter system with lava rocks, etc. and a large pump on a timer that feeds 2, nearly 2 meter high water falls. The waterfalls run 4 times a day for an hour each time but the water keeps getting greener and greener. As I mentioned earlier, out of 31 "Pla Nin", only 4 are still alive and I doubt they will have any impact at all. This past weekend I added 22 "water lettuce" plants to the pond, so I guess I will wait to see whether this has any impact. I really don't know what else to do at this point.

The front pond, which gets partial sun all day remains clear and virtually maintenance free. :)

No air in water equals stagnant water! :D Hope this helps!

Thanks Jimmy, but I have a 3-well, canal-type fliter system with lava rocks, etc. and a large pump on a timer that feeds 2, nearly 2 meter high water falls. The waterfalls run 4 times a day for an hour each time but the water keeps getting greener and greener. As I mentioned earlier, out of 31 "Pla Nin", only 4 are still alive and I doubt they will have any impact at all. This past weekend I added 22 "water lettuce" plants to the pond, so I guess I will wait to see whether this has any impact. I really don't know what else to do at this point.

The front pond, which gets partial sun all day remains clear and virtually maintenance free. :D

Interesting, sort of blows that theory a little bit.... :) ! :D

Perhaps too much fish poop! I have too admit at the moment I don't have too many fish in mine...

Here is a picture of a "water hyacinth" I hope the link works! Easily available, since they multiply like crazy, at the moment mine look a bit sad, but just part of the life cycle! But the are a couple of dozen, which started from one, not so long ago!

Flowers of Samui

I can't seem to get a single picture to upload, so if you look at what the 3rd & 4th pictures, that should work....from my picasa link.... :D