Koi Pond - How To Get Rid Of The Green Water

Just a quick add on here...

It's funny, one does not notice things sometimes, but I was visiting a friend to day who has several still ponds (in shade) all filled with fish...has a long, fine fern leaf like plant, in all the ponds, which he says oxygenates the water. Obviously very well as he says he's never cleaned them... & the water was pretty clear...

Sorry don't know the name & he did not either, but they grow several feet long & are about 1 inch wide ... I am sure any fish supply place would carry it, or if there are natural ponds around you may find it there too... all worth trying, there is nothing more tedious than cleaning ponds!

Just a quick add on here...

It's funny, one does not notice things sometimes, but I was visiting a friend to day who has several still ponds (in shade) all filled with fish...has a long, fine fern leaf like plant, in all the ponds, which he says oxygenates the water. Obviously very well as he says he's never cleaned them... & the water was pretty clear...

Sorry don't know the name & he did not either, but they grow several feet long & are about 1 inch wide ... I am sure any fish supply place would carry it, or if there are natural ponds around you may find it there too... all worth trying, there is nothing more tedious than cleaning ponds!

Any chance of getting a picture of this plant?

presence of green water simply means that your biological system isnt doing its job or you have excessive bioload for the filter to work efficiently.Too much poo/nutrients from excessive feeding and a biological system incapable of completing the nitrification process and then you get your usual nice pea green water. :)

With a well established bacteria colony your green water problem should have been kept at bay in the first place.Most new pond owners feed too soon + feed too much resulting in algae/green water bloom.

Adding additional live stock has never been a recommended move to fix green water, at least not that i know off anyway.whats your water analysis readings?

• 2 weeks later...

few pics of my pond i have 1 x atman filter with a 2@ pump feeding that and 2 x 25 gallon filters with 1@ pump feeding those and a 35 watt uv light stays clean as you can see it is 1.5 metre deep and as per pics you can see the bottom but not always i.e when i go to work and the wife has not cleaned the filters out

post-14744-1267937612_thumb.jpg

post-14744-1267937714_thumb.jpg

post-14744-1267937953_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have a 12,000 ltr Koi pond that is in the sun all day. I tried all sorts of things to get it to stay clear. In the end i was doing a 50-60% water change every month.

The cost of some of the methods were stupid. But found by putting two large pots 300mm above the water in each corner with a 2500ltr pump under it works a treat, inside i put water plants(most of which i get from the lake near us) swill off the dirt and plonk them in. Did a 65% water change. That was it a simple and nice looking way to keep it beautifully clear. Cheap less than 1000 bht top job.

Haven't had to do a water change for two months now. But i do water the garden most days from the pond and top it up so 10% new water at least every other day

But the main problem in the begining was building a filter that was too small. That was two years ago but i have never lost any fish due to bad water management. The two pots are just backing up the filter.

Photos of one of the pots

post-38099-1273038725_thumb.jpg

post-38099-1273038772_thumb.jpg

Edited by fazbender