Phuket Immigration Chief Transferred

webfact

Yeah.... isn't there something that involves sex drugs murder corruption ignorance that we can all make fun of thailand for and then compare to the sex drugs corruption ignorance of our own countries?

you forgot to add Thaksin in that mix. :)

Indeed fascinating - Station Chief and Deputy, plus two other senior ranks, all transferred out in one order ... coming immediately after the various tuk tuk assaults on tourists, the city hall bust in the red light district (that rounded up Burmese prostitutes amongst others), and a string of (deadly) serious crimes against resident and visiting foreigners.

I'm wondering how high the transfer orders initiated from, and under what pressure from where and whom?

The OP states Phuket Immigration is 30-strong, yet four seniors are transferred out at the same time - won't help a lot with management continuity, which may have been exactly the reason for it happening so suddenly, especially with the Gazette's liaison getting shunted too.

Think about it.

Yes; insightful comment here. Links are co-incidence? I don't think so either.

It is just a normal reshuffle that is done periodically by many government departments; immigration, police, armed forces and the civil service. The Phuket Governor is being changed out at about the same time.

The shuffles were originally intended to minimize corruption by not allowing people to get too "settled".

Enjoyed the imaginative conspiracy theories, but, they're simply not true.

That this guy would be transferred and so close to his retirement, is a real indication that somebody somewhere is trying to do some clean up in a much needed area, about time too, Phuket has been an immigration mess for as long as I have been coming to Thailand.

That or he wasnt sharing the wealth, or someone else wants a turn to the trough..

Lots of possibles.. No real info..

Can't U guys read anything between the lines? Phuket is the first place anywhere in Thailand I ever had to pay a Bribe to get something done on my passport, It was not very much, but it was a real eye opener, There was a special fee and no place to gain understanding of it, a long line of Ferang waiting to get this stamp and pay the special fee.

That this guy would be transferred and so close to his retirement, is a real indication that somebody somewhere is trying to do some clean up in a much needed area, about time too, Phuket has been an immigration mess for as long as I have been coming to Thailand.

More likely somebody was not getting their cut but a generous thought.

Someone at Thai Visa or a group of shareholders were sitting in a meeting, maybe in a bar, trying to sort out how they can get some more clicks on the banner advertisements that are critical to their survival. I am not ashamed to admit that I am addicted to Thai Visa's breaking news but this was a bad call. Their is no justification to put a special message out in this case or in several others over the past year.

Keep it real gentlemen. Put out a quality product and we will come.

I think there needs to be 'another' crackdown - this time on Thai Immigration. Someone appears to be moving people sideways but then I guess we could not have our Bangkok contacts get the multiple stamps any more - will have to go back to Cambodia and Penang. We still pay so not much has changed. :)

Can't U guys read anything between the lines? Phuket is the first place anywhere in Thailand I ever had to pay a Bribe to get something done on my passport, It was not very much, but it was a real eye opener, There was a special fee and no place to gain understanding of it, a long line of Ferang waiting to get this stamp and pay the special fee.

No, In actual fact quite the opposite, he wasn't making his quota of Tea Money!:)

I always found Phuket Immigration office helpful and friendly....never ever had any kind of hassle in over 10 years...just get your papers in order when u go there and show some respect and have never ever offered tea money and none was ever solicited...never fails to amaze when I see expats in their lovely stinking singlets and dirty beach shorts with a can of beer in their hands at 10am in the morning with real attitude expecting to be treated as though they were someone important...only in their own minds are they important...one would never go into their own embassy in such dress and attitude....wouldn't get past the security for starters

Here Here, Of all the Immigration Offices I have dealt with over the 10yrs I have been resident in Thailand, I have never once been asked for any under the table payments, that happens in so many of the other Government Offices. Phuket office I found very efficient and helpful. However I was amazed at the lack of respect with regards to poor dressing and the said beer can etc, by the foreign fools thinking it ok to behave in this way.

I always found Phuket Immigration office helpful and friendly....never ever had any kind of hassle in over 10 years...just get your papers in order when u go there and show some respect and have never ever offered tea money and none was ever solicited...never fails to amaze when I see expats in their lovely stinking singlets and dirty beach shorts with a can of beer in their hands at 10am in the morning with real attitude expecting to be treated as though they were someone important...only in their own minds are they important...one would never go into their own embassy in such dress and attitude....wouldn't get past the security for starters

Whilst I am from Koh Samui, therefore cannot comment on Phuket, I have to say that over the past five years I have received nothing but helpful and efficient service from the Koh Samui Immigration. No tea money given, or solicited for, but on the numerous occasions I have telephoned them about Visa queries for various friends and aquaintances, I have always had a polite and straight forward answer. I am due to renew my 1 year visa on 27 Feb 10 - Samui Immigration please take note!!! :)

who cares

....who took the bribes, or will take them in the future!

I heard that reshuffles are ordered to give another group of staff the same opportunity to get rich soon. Understandable if you loook at their salaries....

It happened at some border points, which I do not like to mention.