No Names

Welshman

While I was on Koh Tao island, I had some tasty titbits called No Names. These were great either as a snack or with a main meal.

They looked a bit like the Indian Bhajis.

Alas, when I got back to Bkk no-one had heard of them. My son, who lives in Bkk, said that they were exclusively a southern dish and unavailable anywhere else in Thailand.

I'm currently in UK but moving out to Thailand in August. In the meantime, if some one knows how to make these things, I would be very grateful.

:o

Farang to Thai friend: "Ask her what these are called."

Thai friend: "Nong, an ni riak waaa aray?" ( What are these things called?)

Nong: " My mii cheu." (It has no name.)

Thai friend to Farang: "No Name"

Just a thought ... :o

While I was on Koh Tao island, I had some tasty titbits called No Names. These were great either as a snack or with a main meal.

Alas, when I got back to Bkk no-one had heard of them. My son, who lives in Bkk, said that they were exclusively a southern dish and unavailable anywhere else in Thailand.

I'm currently in UK but moving out to Thailand in August.  In the meantime, if some one knows how to make these things, I would be very grateful.

It's broccolli,carrots,cauliflower,onions .etc dipped in Tempura batter and deep fried. The only place I have seen it is in a Thai restaurant in Broadstairs as a starter.

I'm currently in UK but moving out to Thailand in August.  In the meantime, if some one knows how to make these things, I would be very grateful.

It's broccolli,carrots,cauliflower,onions .etc dipped in Tempura batter and deep fried. The only place I have seen it is in a Thai restaurant in Broadstairs as a starter.

Thanks for that - now all I need to know is what is Tempura batter, and how do I make it ???

Edited by Welshman

There is a thing which looks identical to an onion bhaji.

It is made from banana flowers and called "Blee Tort"

Not easy to find, I have never seen it in my home town, I get some when I pass through Uttaradit.

Thanks for that - now all I need to know is what is Tempura batter, and how do I make it ???

Tempura batter can be made easily - flour, pinch of baking powder (or baking soda - but it tends to give a funny odor), and water. For vegetables, make the mixture thin enough just to coat lightly, for seafood or chicken, thicker mixture. Use clean cooking oil.

I got the recipe from a Japanese friend long ago - works great every time. I know that I'm not addressing the amount of the ingredients here. Just guage the amount of food to be fried, add water slowly and see - the day temperature and humidity can make a difference in the ratio between flour, soda, and water. Cooking for two, I generally start with a cup of flour and go from there. You can add as you go along.....

Just ask for GOGI in any Thai shop

:D

Its called a Clint Eastwood - the food with no name :o

Tempura batter can be made easily - flour, pinch of baking powder (or baking soda - but it tends to give a funny odor), and water. For vegetables, make the mixture thin enough just to coat lightly, for seafood or chicken, thicker mixture. Use clean cooking oil.

I got the recipe from a Japanese friend long ago - works great every time. I know that I'm not addressing the amount of the ingredients here. Just guage the amount of food to be fried, add water slowly and see - the day temperature and humidity can make a difference in the ratio between flour, soda, and water. Cooking for two, I generally start with a cup of flour and go from there. You can add as you go along.....

Many thanks, I'll give it a try !

Farang to Thai friend: "Ask her what these are called."

Thai friend: "Nong, an ni riak waaa aray?" ( What are these things called?)

Nong: " My mii cheu." (It has no name.)

Thai friend to Farang: "No Name"

Just a thought ... whistling.gif

ajarn:

:D:D:D:o

Many thanks, I'll give it a try !

I use a bit of baking soda because it seems to give the outer coating a bit more 'crunch'. Never noticed a taste, but maybe I tuned it out :o

'Gogi' is also around, and just needs added water..

• 2 weeks later...

the Indians call them "pakoras".

Use any cookable vegetable that can be cut into smallish pieces and battered, e.g. potato, carrot, swede, cauliflower, broccoli, aubergine.

The batter has a slightly different recipe though.

2 oz gram flour

1 tbsp ground rice

1/2 tsp salt

1 1/2 tsp ground coriander seed

1 tsp ground cumin

1/2 tsp chili powder

Mix it all up then add water to make the batter. Deep fry.

You can use the same batter for onion baji but mix the half sliced onion rings with the dry ingredients prior to adding the water.

If you find batter doesn't stick to vegetable dip in flour before and then in batter.

Cooking oil has to be very hot when you put them in, otherwise blobs of batter come as a side dish to the vegetables!