Taxi Wars In Patong ?

Patong Bob

Saw the first government licensed motor bike taxi riders yesterday, wearing the new purple vests. They were quickly abused by the green vested drivers, and son had hidden their new shirts. I didn't see any more until about 8pm when I saw about 40 of them in their purple vests heading into town, obviously for a little confrontation.

Anyone know any more ?

Any reprts of purple vests in your area ?

Maybe a bit off topic .... but this lawlessness in Phuket is surprising and disappointing to me.

There are no taxis to be found without an appointment. The reason according to a friend who lives there is that a taxi that drives into Phuket will be physically battered by the tuktuk drivers. Thye literally strong arm the competition out of town. The govt even offered low/no cost loans to taxi owners to encourage the competition and no takers due to fear; everyone knows where you live.

Do I have this story straight ??

Is this irrationa level of lawlessness really tolerated in Thailand/Phuket ?

Why is everyone afraid of the tuktuk constituency ??

I had trouble getting back to the airport last time I was there. This is ridiculous.

i vote with my feet paul ,and refuse to travel in tuk tuks if tourists were made more aware of this situation then these mafia would die out  :o

I'm a tourist, I'm aware of this, I don't want to use tuk tuk to travel, how I do ???

I cannot find any "taxi meter" except at the airport (and they are difficult to find), and when I can get one at the airport, if I ask him to pick me when I plan to leave, he tells me he cannot come in Patong to pick up customers.

So what solutions do I have ?

If you don't want a tuk tuk, there are numerous "private taxis", i.e. unlicensed and unmarked taxis which you can hire by negotiation. Check at your hotel or favourite bar, they'll know one.

As for the motor bikes, the purple vests are taking over, and the green vests are not allowed to touch them. They all have to get purple vests by September.

The reason for the lawful takeover : the police are running the purple vests !!!

Tuk-tuks now banned from Soi Bangla who knows we may see a wave of lawfulness taking over Patong....maybe even metered taxis if the police can come to a "deal" with them......

Have a look here: http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/index.as...=4201&display=1

Thursday, April 7, 2005

Drive to break transport ‘mafia’ launched

bull472005-4201-1.jpg

Festooned with balloons, the new 7-seat metered taxi makes its debut

at Central Festival.

PHUKET: In an attempt to improve public transport on the island, Governor Udomsak Usawarangkura has announced his support for a new project aimed at putting hundreds of metered taxis on Phuket roads and launching an Airport Bus service.

On April 1, the Governor presided over the launch of the “Taxi Phuket Development Project” at Central Festival, during which he also announced the introduction of a new 52-baht minibus service between Phuket City and the airport.

The 30-seat minibus, to go into service in about three months’ time, will stop at four locations: Surakul Stadium on Wichit-Songkram Road; Tesco-Lotus; the Heroines’ Monument and Pranangsang Temple on Thepkrasattri Rd, in Thalang.

The new taxis are station wagons with seating for seven and more luggage room than the standard metered taxis. Built by Bangkok-based car manufacturer Thairung Union Car (TUC), the “Thai Rung Bangkok Limousine Express” vehicles have Isuzu 3,000cc engines and are available for purchase at 920,000 baht on a low-interest instalment plan through the Small and Medium Enterprise Development Bank (SME Bank).

BUT...

From here: http://www.phuketgazette.net/firstweek/business.asp (this link may expire soon)

Zero applications for new 7-seat taxis

p21thairung15zm.jpg

NO TAKERS: But the manager of the local branch of the SME Bank believes that would-be owners are trying to amass the down payment, and that the scheme will take off.

PHUKET: Nearly a month after the April 1 launch of the “Taxi Phuket Development Project”, not a single person has applied for a government-subsidized loan to buy one of the 100 metered taxis on offer.

The high-profile launch took place at Central Festival and was presided over by Phuket Governor Udomsak Usawarangkura, who said he supported the idea of putting more metered taxis on the road as a way of giving tourists more “transport options”.

Although heralded as an attempt to break up the transport syndicates that have made hired taxi services in Phuket the most expensive in the country, the scheme has thus far been a non-starter.

The loans are being offered by the Small and Medium Enterprise Development Bank (SME Bank), whose Phuket Branch Manager Sumate Oplod told the Gazette that only about 10 people had contacted the bank during the first three weeks of April to learn more about the loans or ask for application forms.

Under the scheme, prospective buyers can buy one of the vehicles and set themselves up as taxi drivers for a down payment of 229,000 baht, paying off the balance over a five-year period at just 5% interest. Total vehicle cost under the plan is 920,000 baht.

K. Sumate said loans could be issued only to private individuals, who would be limited to one vehicle each. No collateral is required to secure a loan, though all applicants must have a suitably qualified guarantor. For example, in the case of those using government officials as guarantors, these guarantors must be at least C6 level or higher, he said.

Applicants with good credit ratings and no criminal record could get immediate approval and the SME Bank would then directly pay the Bangkok-based manufacturer of the vehicles, Thai Rung Union Car (TUC).

When asked why he thought the program was off to such a slow start, K. Sumate said he believed it might be because those interested in buying a cab were still working to amass the down payment. He said he expected to begin receiving applications soon.

If they are allowed to operate freely – a big if – the seven-seat station wagon taxis should allow their independent operators to make a fairly handsome profit.

I think the last paragraph says it all.

• 2 weeks later...
Maybe a bit off topic .... but this lawlessness in Phuket is surprising and disappointing to me.

There are no taxis to be found without an appointment. The reason according to a friend who lives there is that a taxi that drives into Phuket will be physically battered by the tuktuk drivers. Thye literally strong arm the competition out of town. The govt even offered low/no cost loans to taxi owners to encourage the competition and no takers due to fear; everyone knows where you live.

Do I have this story straight ??

Is this irrationa level of lawlessness really tolerated in Thailand/Phuket ?

Why is everyone afraid of the tuktuk constituency ??

I had trouble getting back to the airport last time I was there. This is ridiculous.

I have a theory (which I have has been strongly backed up) on the Tuk Tuk issue. Although unfair to call these drivers "mafia" it wouldnt be far off, these Tuk Tuks are however supplied by the mafia ! They set the prices, not the driver ! This is not an unusual thing and happens not only in Thailand, for example when someone has a taxi in say England or the USA they are required to "hire" the radio ? Your paying someone for the privilege of being able to operate, its no different to that in Phuket !

Now ask yourself, when a driver says "100 baht" and you say "No, 50 baht" why does he drive off ? Surely it is better to take the 50 baht rather than spend another 20 baht in gasoline looking for the next sucker ? The answer to that is simple, hes been TOLD he must charge that, he hasnt chosen that option himself ! What kind of trouble would he be in if they found out that he was setting the wrong president ? A great deal i'd say !!

Im probably the only person who can actually say I feel sorry for them, imagine your boss told you that you had to sell something for $100 and you were turning down $50, day after day, 5, 6 7, times a day knowing that there was still a huge profit to be made ? How pi**ed off would you be ?

At the end of the day the tourist is to blame, once that 1st person pays the asked price that’s it ! Phuket is the most expensive tourist spot in Thailand and it all down to the visitor ! They charge what the last person paid (and more), its as simple as that !!!

I have a theory (which I have has been strongly backed up) on the Tuk Tuk issue. Although unfair to call these drivers "mafia" it wouldnt be far off, these Tuk Tuks are however supplied by the mafia ! They set the prices, not the driver ! This is not an unusual thing and happens not only in Thailand, for example when someone has a taxi in say England or the USA they are required to "hire" the radio ? Your paying someone for the privilege of being able to operate, its no different to that in Phuket !

Just to set the record straight. As a taxi prop in the Uk

When you rent the radio in the UK thats all you are doing.You are not paying for the priviledge of operating.That is controlled by the local council.In my local authority,the fares are set by the council and you cannot by law charge more.You can charge less but not more.

If you take fares to outside your local authority area you can charge what you like or what you can get :o

I suppose the mafia also tells them to beat the crap out of any tourist that gives them a problem?

Sorry for them my ars.e! Yes, you ARE the only one feeling sorry for them, mainly from ignorance I think.

Dont exaggerate Sir ! I have been here 3 years now and have not heard of one story yet about tourists being beaten up. Yeah a little bit of back chat and hand bags but nothing more than that.

If the tuk tuk does ever resort to such violence (which must be condemned no matter what) this merely confirms the enormous pressure he is under from the Mafia owner ! The only ignorance that exists out there are are the sheer ammounts of people not looking beneath the surface. The driver is not the root of the problem, its the Mafia controlling them and we need the authorities to stand up to them !... Dont shoot the messenger !!

Personally I think they are an eyesore and should be band, I was on holiday when the Tsunami happened and how disappointed was I to see that the tuk tuks were still there ! Instead they repaint the damaged ones blue, yellow and even orange ! Someone tell me, what is that all about ???

I suppose the mafia also tells them to beat the crap out of any tourist that gives them a problem?

Sorry for them my ars.e! Yes, you ARE the only one feeling sorry for them, mainly from ignorance I think.

Dont exaggerate Sir ! I have been here 3 years now and have not heard of one story yet about tourists being beaten up. Yeah a little bit of back chat and hand bags but nothing more than that.

If the tuk tuk does ever resort to such violence (which must be condemned no matter what) this merely confirms the enormous pressure he is under from the Mafia owner ! The only ignorance that exists out there are are the sheer ammounts of people not looking beneath the surface. The driver is not the root of the problem, its the Mafia controlling them and we need the authorities to stand up to them !... Dont shoot the messenger !!

Personally I think they are an eyesore and should be band, I was on holiday when the Tsunami happened and how disappointed was I to see that the tuk tuks were still there ! Instead they repaint the damaged ones blue, yellow and even orange ! Someone tell me, what is that all about ???

pktkid

So, you've been here 3 years! I have been here 20 years and it is quite common for the Patong and Kata tuk-tuks to bring out a lump of wood and threaten their passengers with it if there is a dispute.

Ask anybody, it is such a common story that it is a cliche.

The job of tuk-tuk driver is regarded as a "macho" job and living up to this reputation is performed with relish. You must have lived a very sheltered life.

Last year i was crossing the road on bangla with my wife and all of a sudden a tuk tuk drove out of it parking space and my wife got knocked over and was lying on the street. I got well pissed off and was able to talk to him as there was some traffic and he couldnt drive on. He came out and within seconds there were 4 tuk tuk drivers ready to lynch me. One tried to punch me however i was able to dodge it and punch him right in the face. I thought i would be killed by the other 3 who were about to attack me when a cop intervened and was really helpfull. I have seen it several other times that the tuk tuk drivers teamed up on one farang and tried out their thai kickboxing skills.

Also the 100 THB rule isnt allways fixed. Plenty of times i was able to get it for 50 or 70 THB

Sheltered life indeed... Its well known in Patong that the TukTuk's simply consider themselves a law unto themself...

If you want somone roughed up who offers the lowest price service ?? You want somwhere smashed up who performs this ??? For collection menaces etc etc etc.. all can be done via the Tuk Tuk crowd..

Notorious for kicking off for little reason...

The idea its an innocent driver having to tow the line to pay off the big boss is complete imagination.. Otherwise why would they not be taking these 50 baht pickups when no one is watching or from Nanai etc when on thier own..

Sheltered life indeed... Its well known in Patong that the TukTuk's simply consider themselves a law unto themself...

If you want somone roughed up who offers the lowest price service ?? You want somwhere smashed up who performs this ??? For collection menaces etc etc etc.. all can be done via the Tuk Tuk crowd..

Notorious for kicking off for little reason...

The idea its an innocent driver having to tow the line to pay off the big boss is complete imagination.. Otherwise why would they not be taking these 50 baht pickups when no one is watching or from Nanai etc when on thier own..

Well guys, my congratulations goes out to you all, unfortunately you will have to share the prize of the wooden spoon amongst each other !!!

Its people like you who give this island a bad name, at a time when Phuket needs its tourists to come back you have to put your over-exagerted cr*p on the net ! You should take your "common stories" elsewhere off the island, maybe out of Thailand as your negative rubbish is not wanted, as if the industry is not damaged enough !!!

As for you Mr. Angry long timers who have forgotten the meaning of "jai yen" my guess is you probably deserve it, after 20 years seeing the same miserable farang squabbling over 20 baht I would be reaching for a lump of wood too !!!

• 1 month later...

Update 21/7/05:

Limo protest delays improved airport taxi service

PHUKET CITY: A protest by about 100 airport limousine drivers at Provincial Hall yesterday morning successfully delayed the setting up of a taxi counter in the airport terminal.

It also prevented the number of meter taxis serving the airport from being increased from 30 to 70 with effect from next Monday (July 25).

“The Phuket Taxi Meter counter is currently 50 meters from the terminal, but Governor Udomsak Uswarangkura wants it moved to inside the terminal without [taxi drivers] paying for a concession,” explained Manod Chusak, who runs the limousine counters at Phuket International Airport (PIA).

“At the same time, he wants taxis to have counters set up at every beach on Phuket,” K. Manod added.

He also explained that the Governor, who is due to return from an inspection tour of Turkey and Romania tomorrow, had given his support for the number of taxis serving the airport to be increased from 30 to 70 from Monday, and later boosted to 270.

Weera Kearpanich, Chairman of the Airport Limousine and Business Service Cooperative Ltd, said, “We currently operate four counters at the airport, and this year we are paying more than 1 million baht a month for the concession [for the right to operate a limousine service at the airport].”

K. Manod explained that the concession fee had been increased each year, from 905,267 baht a month in 2003 to 995,794 baht a month in 2004.

On top of the rising fees, K. Manod said, limousine drivers were already suffering from the greatly reduced number of tourists on the island following the tsunami.

Limousine drivers are currently getting four to six fares between the airport and Phuket City or Patong each day. Before the tsunami the daily average was about eight to 10 fares.

“If taxis set up a counter in the terminal, limousine drivers will have even fewer passengers,” K. Manod said, admitting that tourists prefer to use meter taxis because they are cheaper.

He said that limousine drivers want Gov Udomsak to have the number of taxis serving the airport restricted to the 30 taxis that are currently allowed in.

The protesters disbanded after PIA Deputy General Manager Chan Chiamcharoen said that he would inform the PIA Director immediately of their complaints, and that the moves to improve taxi service would not go ahead until all the affected parties had discussed their problems with the Governor.

Brought to you by: The Phuket Gazette 18:08 local time (GMT +7)

The thugs win again. The tourists lose out. :o

Absolute scummers the lot of them. Airport limousines in Phuket drive like drunk maniacs, which most of them are. Many also partake in scams with dodgy travel agents to con tourists into book hotel rooms through them, claiming they won't be able to get a room otherwise.

Phuket would be a much better place if we could get rid these parasites.

Absolute scummers the lot of them. Airport limousines in Phuket drive like drunk maniacs, which most of them are. Many also partake in scams with dodgy travel agents to con tourists into book hotel rooms through them, claiming they won't be able to get a room otherwise.

Phuket would be a much better place if we could get rid these parasites.

They are probably the worst drivers in Phuket. They want to get to their destination as quickly as possible and back to the airport as they don't usually gat a fare the other way. Maybe that in itself is a problem: why aren't there better ,more organised (even, dare I say it, by whoever operates the airport limo service) services TO the airport? Maybe they would drive a bit slower if they knew they might get a fare back.

The tourist office scam is allegedly being looked into and not before time. I run a small guesthouse in Karon and I know that I lost a number of pre-booked customers to airport taxi scams last year. I am not going to give in and give commission to a taxi driver for bringing a pre-boooked guest to my place. I had a tuk-tuk driver demanding such a commission last year and he was told where to go. Maybe a mistake from what I have read here but I am not giving in.

I always recommend my customers use our recommended private taxi service, which is cheaper, I believe safer, and certainly quicker as there is no stop at the tourist office en route and the driver doesn't get lost an end up taking you to alternative commission paying accommodation.

Finally, as to the plan for the 20 baht tuk-tuk fee, can anyone really see this happening?