Small Bangs, Explosions On Thong Lor

tonglguy

I know that several Thai Visa posters live on Thong Lor and I'd like to know if anyone heard this.

I was woken up at 5.05 am by a loud bang followed by four or five more bangs in quick succession. Two or three minutes later there was a single bang. All was quiet for the next 25 minutes and then there were 4 or 5 more bangs.

I use the word bang but they sounded very much like gunshots. I don't believe they were firecrackers because there were so few of them.

After the first series of bangs the missus jumped out of bed and shouted "coup". Later she said there must be some shooting at the police station.

I've been looking her and on the news all day but nothing.

Did anyone else hear them?

My office is on Thonglor, at about 11 am I passed the police station and there seemed much more activity than usual, also two silver police cars there that are not normally there and a tv car from channel 3. I don't know if they are connected to what you heard or just coincidence

Aside from the possibilities in Tony's post, I don't think there is much more to this than firecrackers. I've heard more during the night in the past week than I have at any other time in the three years I've been at my current place. I think the local kids must have gotten their hands on some from somewhere and are having some fun before Chinese New Years.

I live in a high-rise condo, and in the middle of the night or early morning, there has been a big bang that sounds like someone throwing a firecracker from their condo at the dogs that are barking on the street level (is it mating season? They seem to be going crazy right now).

Unless more info comes out from the situation in Tony's post, I wouldn't worry about it.

We were headed home to our place in Isaan when we passed three fellows strolling down the road with muzzle-loading rifles which prompted the obvious question to my lady.

"Funeral," she replied. "They shoot."

"What do they shoot, please?"

"Ghosts. Bad spirits."

A couple of hours later, the evil spirits were put to flight by multiple resounding gunshots.

I love this country.