Renewing Thai Passport

My wife is in Thailand now and needs to renew her passport before returning home.

Can this be done in Nakon Sawan at the new immigration office or only in Bangkok?

Can it be done by post?

Also if she changes her surname in the passport to mine, does this have any effect on land owned if caught out as a citizen of another country?

Thanks in advance. P76

I believe it can only be done in BKK, but your lady would be in a better position to find out, assuming she speaks Thai.

This will likely get better responses in the visas forum, moving it there.

A name change must be done at the amphur. I don't know if you can just use any amphur, or only the amphur where she is registered. Next you go to a passport office, she has to go there in person (and has to be on someones household book). The will mail it to her for 30 or 35 baht, only takes a few days. Applying for the passpor itself only takes about 30 minutes, including waiting. It is one of the most efficient services i have ever seen, in any country.

For a list of passport offices look here: http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2633.php

click on consular services and a list will appear.

Your wife is Thai, changing her name doesn't change that. As a Thai citizen she can own land without any problem. That she is married to a foreigner doesn't change that, also not if she also takes on your nationality. Only when she renounces her nationality would there be a problem.

All the above is correct.

Just to add detail: Thailand is now issuing passports containing a chip. Holders of old passports, which to date is everyone, must apply in person to one of three designated offices so that their photo and fingerprints can be taken and entered into the chip. When these new passports expire in 5 years, I assume that they can be renewed by mail, or at the much larger number of offices, as in the past.

Happily, it really is being handled very efficiently.

According to the MFA website, they are

1.) Head Office : Chang Wattana Road. Working Hours 08.00 to 15.30

2.) Temporary Branch : 9th Floor Central City Shopping Center Bang Na , Bang-Na-Trad Road. Working Hours 08.00 to 15.30

3.) Temporary Branch : 8th Floor Central Department Store Pinklao,

Borommarajachonnani Road. Working Hours 08.00 to 15.30

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/474.php

E - Passports have been issued for some time - my wife got one in Songkla in 2008

You can still apply (in person ) at the 6 regional offices.

You cannot extend the e passports for 5 years like the old ones - You have to get a new passport.

E - Passports have been issued for some time - my wife got one in Songkla in 2008

You can still apply (in person ) at the 6 regional offices.

You cannot extend the e passports for 5 years like the old ones - You have to get a new passport.

The first epassports were issued in August 2005.

The map at http://www.mfa.go.th/web/473.php?id=3157 shows 7 temporary locations in addition to the three mentioned in greater Bangkok.

Renewal rules for epassports are unclear on the MFA website, possibly because it is 6 months before the first ones expire, although the time to renew would be right now (due to the 6 month minimum rule enforced by most destinations).