What's It Like For The Children?

kellymorse0545

Hello,

I am from the US and while travelling in Thailand, someone told me about how the children more often than not, care for their parents instead of it being the other way around. But I was also told that a lot of that responsibility lies with the youngest child. Is that true?

This person also told me that Thais, mostly the mothers, tend to think that females will take better care of the family then boys. Thus, they raise them as if they are truly females. And that this is part of the reason why there are so many lady boys.

I heard that working a prostitute in Phuket or Singapore earns them more money than working on a chicken farm for example. Exactly how much money would a teenage child earn per week working on a farm in Thailand?

I found this information very fascinating, but I wanted to see if it were true or not.

Thank you for any insight.

Kelly

A young, teen age woman working on a rural farm in Thailand would be lucky to earn 50 baht a day. Even women working in the city at places like the 7-11 only earn 200 to 300 baht a day. The rural families DO expect their young women to move to the city to work. And, they are expected to survive on a minimum of food and accommodation and send the bulk of their money home. For some strange reason the young men get an easier ride through life. But, they like to kill themselves off in motorbike accidents.

A young, teen age woman working on a rural farm in Thailand would be lucky to earn 50 baht a day. Even women working in the city at places like the 7-11 only earn 200 to 300 baht a day. The rural families DO expect their young women to move to the city to work. And, they are expected to survive on a minimum of food and accommodation and send the bulk of their money home. For some strange reason the young men get an easier ride through life. But, they like to kill themselves off in motorbike accidents.

How can you say this? You've lived here for a long time - you must know that the families are not cynically 'farming' out their daughters, otherwise they would be happy that their daughters are earning a pittance in the 7-11.

How precisely, do the parents think their daughter is going to earn far more money?

Edited by F1fanatic

Hmmm you dont know working as a prostitute pays quite a bit more money than a farmer ? Children, ladyboys, prostitutes, teenage children all in your post ? Sorry but kinda makes me wonder what kind of info you are looking for.

My thoughts... exactly :)

Its horrifying, but its the way it is.

Too many parents send their daughters out to the tourist centres to 'earn money for the family'.

The kids they've left at home are just part of the problem - they have to find a farang that's willing to pay for all the kids as well.

As I said before, its the way it is.

the question is fraught with controversy. whether or not it is genuine, these are my thoughts:

while what you describe may all too occasionally be valid, it is not the "norm".

thailand is not a welfare state, so, yes, children support their parents in old age.

thais are not bulk farming whore daughters, no matter what you have been led to believe.

that said, when i find myself in a position to employ someone in a non qualified position, i find that males rarely apply.

i believe that women are carrying thailand and want to see the day when salaries and hiring policies at all levels reflect that.

Edited by t.s

someone told me about how the children more often than not, care for their parents instead of it being the other way around. But I was also told that a lot of that responsibility lies with the youngest child. Is that true?
someone:/?? who? a thai, or someone from europe? yes children aer assumed to care for their parents once the parents begin to age since there is no real social security system in thailand....not small babies taking care of their parents. it is quite commong to find grandparents taking care of the children while the parents are gone working overseas or in other areas of thailand. (among the poorer social groups). in these same socioeconomic groups, the children ALSO do most of the daily chores while the parents get up very early to work: putting on the rice, handwashing laundry, feeding the chickens/cows/buffalos/catfish... and also expected to help during certain agricultural seasons. city folks may be different. rich/well to do folks probably have maids/nannies....
This person also told me that Thais, mostly the mothers, tend to think that females will take better care of the family then boys. Thus, they raise them as if they are truly females. And that this is part of the reason why there are so many lady boys.

not sure about why there are more ladyboys, but there have been a zillion posts as to why: from estrogen in the soy food to general exceptance, etc... try googling..

I heard that working a prostitute in Phuket or Singapore earns them more money than working on a chicken farm for example. Exactly how much money would a teenage child earn per week working on a farm in Thailand?
day labourer in issaan will earn 150 daily possibly for back breaking work.

bina

israel

a reminder that this thread should abide by thaivisa rules: no discussion of bargirls/bg wives/bg gf/ and discussions of prostitution should be well thought out before posting-- factual info and stats acceptable;

Its horrifying, but its the way it is.

Too many parents send their daughters out to the tourist centres to 'earn money for the family'.

The kids they've left at home are just part of the problem - they have to find a farang that's willing to pay for all the kids as well.

As I said before, its the way it is.

Have you spent ANY time outside of Patong? Would "some" parents do that? sure and in that sense I would agree that it is 'too many', but you seem to think this is a 'standard' practice.

the question is fraught with controversy. whether or not it is genuine, these are my thoughts:

while what you describe may all too occasionally be valid, it is not the "norm".

thailand is not a welfare state, so, yes, children support their parents in old age.

thais are not bulk farming whore daughters, no matter what you have been led to believe.

that said, when i find myself in a position to employ someone in a non qualified position, i find that males rarely apply.

i believe that women are carrying thailand and want to see the day when salaries and hiring policies at all levels reflect that.

Well said.