Dual Pricing At Phuket Airport

udonsmiles

Few will likely agree but it has always been my theory that the Thai Chinese controlling minority have used dual pricing as a propaganda measure to make the ethnic Thai to feel his life is not that bad and to make poverty more tolerable. A poor ethnic Thai looks up at the price chart and sees that farangs are paying more and life isn't so bad. Reality however, is it is a hoax that in fact extorts money which never finds its way into the pockets of the impoverished. Merely a clever control mechanism. It is found at all levels of both public and the private sector. This is of course, an extremely macro view, and you can shoot many holes and find many exceptions. Government cannot defend it on its face value, there has to be an underlying motive that is tolerated for a much bigger reason than making a few baht.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know if there is a place that lists all places with dual pricing in Thailand ? (That can be reached via internet), It would be very helpful for all Farangs, including tourists.

It doesn't matter if the price difference is just 1 Baht, it's still wrong. In the civilized and developed world it is illeagal with dual pricing.

Anyone know if there is a place that lists all places with dual pricing in Thailand ? (That can be reached via internet), It would be very helpful for all Farangs, including tourists.

It doesn't matter if the price difference is just 1 Baht, it's still wrong. In the civilized and developed world it is illeagal with dual pricing.

Here you go mate....oops it's a Golf Course in Canada that has two tiered pricing...

http://www.kananaskisgolf.com/greenfees.html

2010 Golf Rates

(8 or Less Golfers)

Green Fee $90.00

*Senior Citizen (Over 65) $81.00

*Junior (Under 19) $81.00

Power Cart $16.00 / Golfer

Special Alberta Resident Rates

(8 or Less Golfers)

Green Fee $70.00

*Senior Citizen (Over 65) $63.00

*Junior (Under 19) $63.00

Power Cart $16.00 / Golfer

*Senior / Junior rates available Monday thru Thursday excluding holidays

But then again, Canada is not that civilized :)

Here you go mate....oops it's a Golf Course in Canada that has two tiered pricing...

And what race is involved there? Many places have residency discounts, for anyone who lives there and pays taxes. Prices are not based on one's race or even passport!

I have a friend who has lived here more than 20 years. She has a Thai husband and also speaks fluent Thai. Having to explain to some kid working behind a counter who has been alive less than you have lived that its not fair she must pay more, must feel like a slap in the face each time.

A system that would be feel more fair would be one price for all, BUT, upon showing a Thai ID card or Drivers licence etc, would give you a discount on the price. Rather than someone behind a counter picking and choosing and having to defend yourself each time when wanting to pay a Thai price. Im talking about attractions etc, not the local shop..that just sucks to be honest. Overcharging for an ice cream because of your race..love to see how that would go down in with Thai people in the west. :)

just show your Thai driving license

My work permit did the trick. :)

Hey thanks for the comment tonitit, perhaps you could make another when you have a little less time :D

Why so much hassle, show workpermit etc. come on...

Just drop 50b on the counter with a smile, then look the bitch in the eyes as if you say 'if you dare...' and walk away, with a smile again, always works, she got the message. If you end up in a conflict with some dumb official and no choice then adding the 35b just smash it on the ground, they really really hate to kneel for you ! When it's a cop however never do this.

Some of them you really need to keep short, no respect they made me even when for just 1 bath.

I refuse that nooo-I'm-stupid-again feeling, no more !

It's so important to always keep focusing on the nice things, the nice people and there are enough (and avoid Phuket I guess, never liked that place) but no more mindfukkers within my circle please.

What stellar advice. And what particular circle are you in - a crop circle perhaps?

Few will likely agree but it has always been my theory that the Thai Chinese controlling minority have used dual pricing as a propaganda measure to make the ethnic Thai to feel his life is not that bad and to make poverty more tolerable. A poor ethnic Thai looks up at the price chart and sees that farangs are paying more and life isn't so bad. Reality however, is it is a hoax that in fact extorts money which never finds its way into the pockets of the impoverished. Merely a clever control mechanism. It is found at all levels of both public and the private sector. This is of course, an extremely macro view, and you can shoot many holes and find many exceptions. Government cannot defend it on its face value, there has to be an underlying motive that is tolerated for a much bigger reason than making a few baht.

E gads Batman! I think I see a conspiracy here!

You are right of course, we Thai Falangs can have homes built, raise families and children (often step children), buy new cars etc. But if we want to visit The Grand Palace, it's 300B for foreigners and free for Thais.

You will probably be doubly shocked to know that Thais can get in starting at 7:30AM and foreigners only at 8:00.

TH

You are right of course, we Thai Falangs can have homes built, raise families and children (often step children), buy new cars etc. But if we want to visit The Grand Palace, it's 300B for foreigners and free for Thais.

You will probably be doubly shocked to know that Thais can get in starting at 7:30AM and foreigners only at 8:00.

TH

Not in my office TH.

TH

Not in my office TH.

We have some, but they only do so to avoid the traffic…. :)

TH

I get that excuse as well. I arrive at 8ish and I will be lucky if the first one arrives at our 830am start time - more like 9.

Sorry off topic.

Edited by bkkjames

You gotta be joking me. Showing your ID to an ice cream vendor to get a cheaper price? Don't eat there on principle and tell everyone else not to eat there too.

Exactly!! I would have left the ice cream melting on the counter and walked away. If there was time I would have most certainly let the airport admin know about it as well maybe even followed up with an email to AOT..

It isn't about 35b it's about principle and that practice by unscrupulous vendors such as this one and it adds up over time..

I do not pay farang price and I do quite well letting them know up front and that usually means I've researched their pricing in advance and I just love to drop that bomb on them and watch the expressions and fidgeting begin..

Hi Pakboong

That another way of looking at it! Very interesting.

Resist the temptation to whip out your Thai elite car….. Sorry Thai D/L when ever you can, all we achieve is to pander to the scam. I would like to say if everyone who knows about this practice just stopped taking part it would die out…. Fat chance! With a reasonable daily supply of fresh buffalo, who are not wise to this scam, and the “I’ll just whip out me Thai license club” This show is going to run for a few more seasons yet!

Hey thanks for the comment tonitit, perhaps you could make another when you have a little less time :D

Just drop 50b on the counter with a smile, then look the bitch in the eyes as if you say 'if you dare...' and walk away, with a smile again, always works, she got the message. If you end up in a conflict with some dumb official and no choice then adding the 35b just smash it on the ground, they really really hate to kneel for you ! When it's a cop however never do this.

Some of them you really need to keep short, no respect they made me even when for just 1 bath.

It's so important to always keep focusing on the nice things, the nice people and there are enough (and avoid Phuket I guess, never liked that place) but no more mindfukkers within my circle please.

Don't ever disrespect Thai money because it has images of the Monarchy on it. So stepping on it or tossing it on the ground is always a bad idea. HOWEVER leaving the appropriate 45 baht on the counter and daring the bitch to say something is a good Idea, screw them.

And what race is involved there? Many places have residency discounts, for anyone who lives there and pays taxes. Prices are not based on one's race or even passport!

You are correct we are not civilized in Canada. Immigrants can come to Canada and get everything free, but every try to get a tax break, argue with Rev.Can., or try to get a higher Canada Pension than $125.00 a month and they will tell you well it was your wife that collected social assistance when you were divorced because she sat at home while your daughter was in school and so she can get a better pension that the man who tried to work and make an honest living. My taxes pay for all the immigrants who come to Canada and get free health care, welfare and the hole nine yards. That is why I refuse to live in the country where I was born, I have less rights than someone who does not speak English who arrived yesterday. Welcome to my country. Have a good life there and don't complain that you can't bring your 14 brothers and sisters.

As if there aren’t enough here already, Here’s the proof, there now giving out work permit for the post of village idiot!!

Hey if you're upset at dual pricing, what about this. I'm American of Asian ancestry and often times I'm mistaken as a native Thai. I'm able to speak basic Thai and enjoy conversing with the locals in their language. I'm often denied entry at bars where Thais are NOT allowed. I tell them I'm not Thai but actually American. Again they don't believe me because they expect an American to look like your average American TV or movie star, a farang. I'd pull out my American ID just to prove my point but then will decline to enter and proceed to patronize another club. Soapies, I get the thai discount, but the Grand Temple, I pay the foreigner price. It's kind of confusing when they think I'm Japanese, then depending on where I'm at, I might be charged even more than your average farang! TOT....This is Thailand, oh well. :)

You are correct we are not civilized in Canada. Immigrants can come to Canada and get everything free, but every try to get a tax break, argue with Rev.Can., or try to get a higher Canada Pension than $125.00 a month and they will tell you well it was your wife that collected social assistance when you were divorced because she sat at home while your daughter was in school and so she can get a better pension that the man who tried to work and make an honest living. My taxes pay for all the immigrants who come to Canada and get free health care, welfare and the hole nine yards. That is why I refuse to live in the country where I was born, I have less rights than someone who does not speak English who arrived yesterday. Welcome to my country. Have a good life there and don't complain that you can't bring your 14 brothers and sisters.

Agreed.

My taxes used to put your entire family through school, free health care all around. In return I asked for free golf for myself - they said no.

I left.

I had a good experience yesterday in Bungsamran (fishing park) I haven't been there for ages because they used dual pricing. But i wanted to take a friend out for some fun and this was the place that was reachable for both of us. Else he had to go 60km on unfamiliar terrain.

I fully expected to pay a 1000 baht a rod instead of the 400 baht Thais have to pay. I spoke Thai with the desk girl and she commented my thai was good (i dont agree but ok). Anyway she asked if i had a card (i thought she meant the membership card (10.000 bt and you get in for thai prices then). I said no but showed my drivers license and i got in for Thai prices.

A pleasant surprise indeed.

Excellent reply on the topic. Regarding immigrants, we have the same PROBLEM in most countries in Western Europe. Most of the population thinks the same as me, but still, the politicians keep on treating the immigrants better than the natives.

I had a good experience yesterday in Bungsamran (fishing park) I haven't been there for ages because they used dual pricing. But i wanted to take a friend out for some fun and this was the place that was reachable for both of us. Else he had to go 60km on unfamiliar terrain.

I fully expected to pay a 1000 baht a rod instead of the 400 baht Thais have to pay. I spoke Thai with the desk girl and she commented my thai was good (i dont agree but ok). Anyway she asked if i had a card (i thought she meant the membership card (10.000 bt and you get in for thai prices then). I said no but showed my drivers license and i got in for Thai prices.

That's good news, myself and friends have been boycotting that place for quite a while as a result of their pricing policy.

Shall have to try again soon and see if you were just lucky !

That's good news, myself and friends have been boycotting that place for quite a while as a result of their pricing policy.

Shall have to try again soon and see if you were just lucky !

The key is speaking Thai, i heard from my mates that they got in too while speaking reasonable Thai and having a Thai license. If you come there dressed like wealthy tourist and speak english your chances might decrease. Also there is more then 1 girl working there maybe the other does not do it.

I prefer to just boycott such shops.