Dual Pricing At Phuket Airport

udonsmiles

You are correct we are not civilized in Canada. Immigrants can come to Canada and get everything free, but every try to get a tax break, argue with Rev.Can., or try to get a higher Canada Pension than $125.00 a month and they will tell you well it was your wife that collected social assistance when you were divorced because she sat at home while your daughter was in school and so she can get a better pension that the man who tried to work and make an honest living. My taxes pay for all the immigrants who come to Canada and get free health care, welfare and the hole nine yards. That is why I refuse to live in the country where I was born, I have less rights than someone who does not speak English who arrived yesterday. Welcome to my country. Have a good life there and don't complain that you can't bring your 14 brothers and sisters.

Excellent reply on the topic. Regarding immigrants, we have the same PROBLEM in most countries in Western Europe. Most of the population thinks the same as me, but still, the politicians keep on treating the immigrants better than the natives.

Thank you Bangkok Issan. I get sick of people who have never been to Canada telling me what a great country it is.. I lived in India for nearly ten years in the 70's and they all wanted to live in "Canada" and I would tell them I will trade you any day for the peace and tranquility that you have in India, for everything that you may want in Canada, take my passport and go to Canada.

Canadian companies only have to pretend that they advertised for 14 days and could not find a Canadian willing to take the job, and the government gives them permission to hire an immigrant that they can pay less money to than they would have to pay a naturalized Canadian. It is hard to find a white Canadian working at Tim Hortons Donuts anymore, although we have a minimum wage, employers abuse it by paying immigrants less and Canadians lose the work. To get a job in Canada today you have to be the brother of someone who has a business there that came from India or Pakistan. No ethnic offense meant, I. spent many years in both countries

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My work permit did the trick. :)

Hey thanks for the comment tonitit, perhaps you could make another when you have a little less time :D

Why so much hassle, show workpermit etc. come on...

Just drop 50b on the counter with a smile, then look the bitch in the eyes as if you say 'if you dare...' and walk away, with a smile again, always works, she got the message. If you end up in a conflict with some dumb official and no choice then adding the 35b just smash it on the ground, they really really hate to kneel for you ! When it's a cop however never do this.

Some of them you really need to keep short, no respect they made me even when for just 1 bath.

I refuse that nooo-I'm-stupid-again feeling, no more !

It's so important to always keep focusing on the nice things, the nice people and there are enough (and avoid Phuket I guess, never liked that place) but no more mindfukkers within my circle please.

I prefer to just boycott such shops.

I agree, just boycott them....i was in Chatuchak in Bangkok some weeks ago waiting for some friends. Stopped to have a bowl of kanom jeen noodles. When i asked to pay, the vendor pointed to a sign in English that said 50 baht. I looked over on the Thai menu which said 30 baht. I pointed this out (in Thai) to the vendor and she again pointed to the sign in English. I told her, "mai chai, kanom jeen 30 krup." She again pointed to the sign. I brought the menu over and asked her if she could read Thai. Pointed out that kanom jeen looked to be 30 baht. Gave her 30 baht, she gave me an insulting look and i left. Her loss, I told all my friends never to go there, Thai as well as farang.

It is one of the many things I dislike about the LoS, however far from hiding this practice Chiangmai zoo is quite open about this two tier pricing system.
Entrance Fee Foreigners - Adult: 100 Baht, Child (less than 135 cm in height):

50 Baht

Thais - Adult: 50 Baht,

Teacher, soldier, policeman (in uniform): 30 Baht,

Child (less than 135 cm.): 10 Baht,

Senior citizen, people with disability, and monk: Free of charge

Taken from; http://www.thaiwaysmagazine.com/chiang_mai...ng_mai_zoo.html

When I went, what really pissed me off was that not only did I pay more than a Thai national, but I was told to get off the tram to make way for a group of Thai's in order that they could sit together! BTW I thought the zoo was a '<deleted> hole'...........

Does the Chinese panda at the Chang Mai zoo have

to pay more for bamboo that the new born Thai Panda?

You gotta be joking me. Showing your ID to an ice cream vendor to get a cheaper price? Don't eat there on principle and tell everyone else not to eat there too.

I had dinner at a noodle stand in a kind of a clothing mall with booths just the street running off I guess Sathorn at Thaksin BTS the side street near to Robinsons and Tops. I ordered the prawn and noodles. I was hard pressed to find one prawn in the bowl but enough ginger to kill all the kennel cough in Bangkok. When I went to pay the woman told me 50 Bhat. My Thai is not so good but I told her what I thought of her tactics and repeated "nueng gung" 50 Bhat. I left her with 30 Bhat which is what I figured it may have been worth or what I Thai person would have paid. She had more respect for me when I left that she would have if I had paid her 50 Bhat.

Best thing to do in that case: Go back, apologise and give her the outstanding 20. Sure, do that. Do that.

nah just open a restaurant and charge all thai eaters 10% service plus 300 baht cover charge unless they can produce some non-thai identification. Nothing like a dose of your own medicine lol!

The shop attendant needed pocket money. And I have yet to see ice cream being sold at different prices. Often the small shops have the supermarket's prices, too.

At Suvarnabhumi, prices are in line, maybe 22 instead of 20 Baht, I forgot. But 50 is already a rip off! :D

A condo shop has an owner who habitually tries to short-change farang. After a few times, I pointed it out and it stopped.

You s a w the 50 Baht price advertised?? I doubt many Thai would accept that! :)

Colabamumbai: You posted this: "I left her with 30 Bhat which is what I figured it may have been worth or what I Thai person would have paid."

How did you know what a Thai would have paid?

Did you ask the price before ordering?

What if every visitor to Thailand paid only what they thought a product or service was worth - without any negotiation?

A very basic rule for foreigners in Thailand -- especially in areas with a lot of tourists - is to ask the price before ordering.

You had no right to short-change the vendor -- and I guarantee that your action did not improve her opinion of you.

You owe her an apology and 20 baht.

Now come on guys, Falangs don't pay extra, it's just that Thai Nationals get a discount :D

Good one Gary :D:D:D

But it still gives me the feeling that i am not home, ones a farang always a farang :)

You are right of course, we Thai Falangs can have homes built, raise families and children (often step children), buy new cars etc. But if we want to visit The Grand Palace, it's 300B for foreigners and free for Thais.

A company I once worked for in Bangkok booked me into a Bangkok hotel, the rate was 1100B for Thais, 1700B for foreigners. When I queried the receptionist about this, he seemed surprised that I thought it was anything but normal.

Try having dual pricing in places like Australia. You would find yourself in a whole heap of trouble. There are little things like anti discrimination and racial vilification laws. Every person regardless of race, religion or colour are charged the same apart from pensioners etc who get cheaper. I am sure if Thais visiting Australia saw a sign stating Thai's $20 everyone else free would scream racism. I really do not know why they have dual pricing.

Now come on guys, Falangs don't pay extra, it's just that Thai Nationals get a discount :D

Good one Gary :D:D:D

But it still gives me the feeling that i am not home, ones a farang always a farang :)

You are right of course, we Thai Falangs can have homes built, raise families and children (often step children), buy new cars etc. But if we want to visit The Grand Palace, it's 300B for foreigners and free for Thais.

A company I once worked for in Bangkok booked me into a Bangkok hotel, the rate was 1100B for Thais, 1700B for foreigners. When I queried the receptionist about this, he seemed surprised that I thought it was anything but normal.

Try having dual pricing in places like Australia. You would find yourself in a whole heap of trouble. There are little things like anti discrimination and racial vilification laws. Every person regardless of race, religion or colour are charged the same apart from pensioners etc who get cheaper. I am sure if Thais visiting Australia saw a sign stating Thai's $20 everyone else free would scream racism. I really do not know why they have dual pricing.

A pensioner doesn't need a discount, the guy trying a to raise a young family does.

Most countries (including America) do have dual pricing. It's called a "residence" fee for the U.S. where if you have a driver's license from the state where the attraction is in you get a substantial discount for amusement parks, state park licenses, etc.. Even in cities like Paris there is a substantial discount for locals in some restaurants and attractions.

People whining about this are just being stupid because a lot of these attractions pay their upkeep through income taxation. However if Thais were smarter about this they would cleverly reword it as a discount for Thai residents instead of "farang 300 baht" to avoid the whole political correctness issue.

Most countries (including America) do have dual pricing. It's called a "residence" fee for the U.S. where if you have a driver's license from the state where the attraction is in you get a substantial discount for amusement parks, state park licenses, etc.. Even in cities like Paris there is a substantial discount for locals in some restaurants and attractions.

People whining about this are just being stupid because a lot of these attractions pay their upkeep through income taxation. However if Thais were smarter about this they would cleverly reword it as a discount for Thai residents instead of "farang 300 baht" to avoid the whole political correctness issue.

doesn't happen in Australia.

If Australian universities charge more tuition for international students then it is also a form of dual pricing. I'm not going to even get into certain nationality based visa fees or any hidden service charges which are also dual pricing schemes. There's more than one way to skin a chicken.

Edited by wintermute

The key is speaking Thai, i heard from my mates that they got in too while speaking reasonable Thai and having a Thai license. If you come there dressed like wealthy tourist and speak english your chances might decrease. Also there is more then 1 girl working there maybe the other does not do it.

Disagree...My Thai is cr*p and all it generally takes is pulling out your DL or Work Permit and telling them you are not a tourist....its worked for me the last 8 years

Edited by Soutpeel

Park use fee

Kakadu National Park will re-introduce a park use fee from April 2010, to help manage the natural and cultural values of the park environment and improve visitor services.

Like many World Heritage sites around the world, including Yellowstone National Park, Serengeti National Park, Stonehenge, Pompeii and Herculeum and the Pyramids of Egypt - a park use fee will help maintain world-best management practices and facilities for the more than 200,000 visitors who experience Kakadu each year.

The $25 fee (which is inclusive of GST) will apply to all interstate and international visitors aged 16 years and over. All Northern Territory residents and children under 16 will be exempt

You see even the Aussies discriminate amongst themselves. :)

Park use fee

Kakadu National Park will re-introduce a park use fee from April 2010, to help manage the natural and cultural values of the park environment and improve visitor services.

Like many World Heritage sites around the world, including Yellowstone National Park, Serengeti National Park, Stonehenge, Pompeii and Herculeum and the Pyramids of Egypt - a park use fee will help maintain world-best management practices and facilities for the more than 200,000 visitors who experience Kakadu each year.

The $25 fee (which is inclusive of GST) will apply to all interstate and international visitors aged 16 years and over. All Northern Territory residents and children under 16 will be exempt

Did you leave your brain at home James ?

The thing is that is for residents, here even a foreigner living her mostly does not get the Thai price because of the color of his skin. Sometimes you are lucky with speaking Thai or with a drivers license but its not a grantee. I would say that is a big difference. It also isnt really an explanation for the difference in price of an ice cream to two people of different race. Anyway im sure a smart guy like you could figure out that it is different.

The thing is that is for residents, here even a foreigner living her mostly does not get the Thai price because of the color of his skin. Sometimes you are lucky with speaking Thai or with a drivers license but its not a grantee. I would say that is a big difference. It also isnt really an explanation for the difference in price of an ice cream to two people of different race. Anyway im sure a smart guy like you could figure out that it is different.

Just in this thread alone we have had quite a few people who have mentioned they haven't had to pay a foreigner fee because they have a work permit/id etc.. Maybe the problem is you?

As far as ice cream cones go a vendor is not an official government employee or administrator. They're just another person hustling to get by and what prices they set is based entirely on their own whims similar to how a taxi driver might try and rip you off sometimes.

Really crying about "racism" is pathetic coming from expats.

Just in this thread alone we have had quite a few people who have mentioned they haven't had to pay a foreigner fee because they have a work permit/id etc.. Maybe the problem is you?

As far as ice cream cones go a vendor is not an official government employee or administrator. They're just another person hustling to get by and what prices they set is based entirely on their own whims similar to how a taxi driver might try and rip you off sometimes.

I am one of those people who gets by on his drivers license it happens but its not a grantee. Its the fact its not written down anywhere its not law your just at the mercy of others. It is racism plain and simple based on skin color, its hard to deny and its pathetic to do so.

Then when people start to defend it with well regulated and fair things in other countries that is pathetic. I don't understand why its so hard to admit Thailand has its faults. In the example James gave an resident would always get this discount, here they don't.

I am one of those people who gets by on his drivers license it happens but its not a grantee. Its the fact its not written down anywhere its not law your just at the mercy of others. It is racism plain and simple based on skin color, its hard to deny and its pathetic to do so.

Then when people start to defend it with well regulated and fair things in other countries that is pathetic. I don't understand why its so hard to admit Thailand has its faults. In the example James gave an resident would always get this discount, here they don't.

You hear that sound? It's the world's smallest violin playing just for you. I'd say the way you are treated in Thailand is probably a hel_l of a lot better than an asian immigrant would be treated socially in the U.K. or wherever you're originally from.

Are you sure you even have a Thai license?

You hear that sound? It's the world's smallest violin playing just for you. I'd say the way you are treated in Thailand is probably a hel_l of a lot better than an asian immigrant would be treated socially in the U.K. or wherever you're originally from.

Seems someone can't stick to the facts and needs to change the topic to get his right. Its hard isn't it admitting your not right ? I have a 5 year Thai license just recently changed my 1 year one for a 5 year Thai one.

Let me see, asian immigrants in Holland versus me here.. Immigrants can buy a house and own land.. me ehhhh no. Immigrants will be entiteled to benefits .. me ehhh no. Immigrants will have the same medical cover as others.. here.. no way you qualify for that. So again you are wrong, are you sure you ever gotten a visa for someone to live with you in your home country. Do Dutch employers need to hire 5 dutch people for every foreigner.. no do they have to hire foreigners yes (especially government branches)

I have and now i live here so i know the differences.

Is my life bad ? No its not bad.. is Thailand perfect, no its not. Do idiots get all worked up when you point out that its not perfect.. yes they do. I like my life here a lot but there are certain aspects that i dont like so i complain about that. I did the same in Holland i don't see what is wrong with it.

I'm actually quite happy here my business is thriving and so on.

Edited by robblok

You don't know what you are talking about wintermute, in my country Asian immigrants are treated great. If they treated Asian immigrants the way Thailand treats foreigners there would be hel_l to pay and the media would have a field day pointing out all the injustices, seriously, you seem completely out of touch with reality.

Let me see, asian immigrants in Holland versus me here.. Immigrants can buy a house and own land.. me ehhhh no. Immigrants will be entiteled to benefits .. me ehhh no. Immigrants will have the same medical cover as others.. here.. no way you qualify for that. So again you are wrong, are you sure you ever gotten a visa for someone to live with you in your home country. Do Dutch employers need to hire 5 dutch people for every foreigner.. no do they have to hire foreigners yes (especially government branches)

You have to look at the economic differences between a developing world country and a first world one backed by the EU. It's completely different because of _economic_ reasons first and foremost. Also, you can come and go from Thailand anytime you want whereas it was probably extremely difficult for an asian immigrant to even get a visa to live in Holland to begin with and involved extenuating circumstances.

I'm not going to even get into all the social issues..racial exclusion etc.. a lot of asian immigrants go through in western countries that prevent them from ever getting normal jobs. Look at it this way, you can come to Thailand on a relatively easy visa, date the women freely, and even start a business if you go through the right channels. You're already better off than 99% of the asian immigrants living isolated lives in racial seclusion and squalor that you see in parts of the western world.

Like I said..smallest violin playing, etc..

You don't know what you are talking about wintermute, in my country Asian immigrants are treated great. If they treated Asian immigrants the way Thailand treats foreigners there would be hel_l to pay and the media would have a field day pointing out all the injustices, seriously, you seem completely out of touch with reality.

Are they recent asian immigrants are those that are born and raised in the west? There's a difference. Recent immigrants to a western country live pretty hard lives in most cases unless they come from rich families to begin with. You're the one that is out of touch.

You have to look at the economic differences between a developing world country and a first world one backed by the EU. It's completely different because of _economic_ reasons first and foremost. Also, you can come and go from Thailand anytime you want whereas it was probably extremely difficult for an asian immigrant to even get a visa to live in Holland to begin with and involved extenuating circumstances.

I'm not going to even get into all the social issues..racial exclusion etc.. a lot of asian immigrants go through in western countries that prevent them from ever getting normal jobs. Look at it this way, you can come to Thailand on a relatively easy visa, date the women freely, and even start a business if you go through the right channels. You're already better off than 99% of the asian immigrants living isolated lives in racial seclusion and squalor that you see in parts of the western world.

Like I said..smallest violin playing, etc..

Your a bundle of laughs that is for sure, are you from the twilight zone perhaps ?

If you look at my country you will see that government agencies mandatory have to hire non whites. This means you don't select people on competence but on color and race in favor of the foreigners. Im not saying its always wrong ( i believe it is when the white guy has better credentials and isnt selected if they are both equal i can understand). This is whats happening in my country and its not what is happening here. You are making remarks that you cant substantiate, i would pray that i had the same rights immigrants have in my country here in Thailand.

In Thailand they make rules to exclude foreigners as much as possible (5 Thais to 1 foreigner in a company rule for work permits). Most foreigners (US excepted i believe cant be a majority shareholder in their own company). Its totally different

The fact that i have more means then most Asian immigrants it totally irrelevant to how im treated. As i said before i like it here but what your saying is total and utter bull.

But we are drifting here and you never countered my things about dual pricing and stared an other debate you could not win. Do you like lost causes ?

Park use fee

Hmm personal insults aside Robbie, I know several farangs here with Thai Nationality - yes I am that old. If their fluency in Thai doesn't get them though the door at local rates, then they flash they ID card. However, one can hardly blame a poor lil farm girl for not assuming the 99.9 percent of farangs she sees at the Ice Cream shop does not meet the spec.

Using the Park above as an example, I am sure they don't stereotype residents vs non residents based on skin colour. Guessing if you want the resident price - you must prove it but that's a different topic.

Anyways, my point about posting the Aussie thing was to rebut the previous poster that said they don't have dual pricing in Australia. Besides I am sure someone with your IQ probably could have figured all this out without me having to waste 5 mins explaining it to you in writing. :D

Your a bundle of laughs that is for sure, are you from the twilight zone perhaps ?

If you look at my country you will see that government agencies mandatory have to hire non whites. This means you don't select people on competence but on color and race in favor of the foreigners. Im not saying its always wrong ( i believe it is when the white guy has better credentials and isnt selected if they are both equal i can understand). This is whats happening in my country and its not what is happening here. You are making remarks that you cant substantiate, i would pray that i had the same rights immigrants have in my country here in Thailand.

What you seem to be completely blind to is the difference in economics and also relatively openness of the society to foreign travelers. Point to one developed western country that allows tourists to pop in and stay nearly indefinitely with the ease that you see in Thailand. For asian immigrants to even get to live in the EU (without marrying a citizen of a member country) it's literally because 1) they are political refugees 2) or they went through an arduous and lengthy immigration process that took years

There's a reason why foreign ownership in Thailand is difficult it's mostly because of the economic difference of Thailand with the developed western and asian countries. If Thailand made it just as easy then it would open up the country to all sorts of currency and western industrial monopolies.

Hmm personal insults aside Robbie, I know several farangs here with Thai Nationality - yes I am that old. If their fluency in Thai doesn't get them though the door at local rates, then they flash they ID card. However, one can hardly blame a poor lil farm girl for not assuming the 99.9 percent of farangs she sees at the Ice Cream shop does not meet the spec.

Using the Park above as an example, I am sure they don't stereotype residents vs non residents based on skin colour. Guessing if you want the resident price - you must prove it but that's a different topic.

Anyways, my point about posting the Aussie thing was to rebut the previous poster that said they don't have dual pricing in Australia. Besides I am sure someone with your IQ probably could have figured all this out without me having to waste 5 mins explaining it to you in writing. :)

The personal insult was just returning the favor James from an other topic i never start insults but i don't like to be insulted.

My IQ like yours probably contains 3 digits (let us hope) so its good enough, and maybe i just wanted you to write stuff. But its hard to deny that someone like you or me who are residents here and not tourists many times pay the inflated prices. I usually just avoid those places unless i really have to. But it just feels unfair like a few other things here in Thailand. I will always comment about those things because i don't like unfair things. It doesn't make me hate Thailand or dislike it i still love it.

I don't know how old you are James but you just started to sound ancient. I would love to have residency here but it would be almost impossible for me to achieve. I am still studying on my Thai and its not even good but i get by with it and everyone always say its great (standard remark even if its bad).

You just seem to be able to ruffle my feathers easy and i just don't take everything. Other then that i would not bash your brains in if i saw you because i like a bit of animated discussion.

Im sure Holland has dual pricing too (maybe) but there once you live somewhere your a resident and your not subjected to them anymore. Your also not gouged extra by others just because you look different.

Seems someone can't stick to the facts and needs to change the topic to get his right. Its hard isn't it admitting your not right ? I have a 5 year Thai license just recently changed my 1 year one for a 5 year Thai one.

I have and now i live here so i know the differences.

Is my life bad ? No its not bad.. is Thailand perfect, no its not. Do idiots get all worked up when you point out that its not perfect.. yes they do. I like my life here a lot but there are certain aspects that i dont like so i complain about that. I did the same in Holland i don't see what is wrong with it.

:) well said

What you seem to be completely blind to is the difference in economics and also relatively openness of the society to foreign travelers. Point to one developed western country that allows tourists to pop in and stay nearly indefinitely with the ease that you see in Thailand. For asian immigrants to even get to live in the EU (without marrying a citizen of a member country) it's literally because 1) they are political refugees 2) or they went through an arduous and lengthy immigration process that took years

There's a reason why foreign ownership in Thailand is difficult it's mostly because of the economic difference of Thailand with the developed western and asian countries. If Thailand made it just as easy then it would open up the country to all sorts of currency and western industrial monopolies.

If Thailand wanted it could just say you can own a house with set amount of land. Its not that hard to regulate that. I can understand that they dont want foreigners taking over stuff, BUT now the rich Thais have it so its not that much different.

I am married here.. so please compare me with Asians that married locals in Holland. I have a lot of experience with that because i was married b4 with a Thai lady in Holland. So i really know the differences.

Also if you compare Asians living on tourist visa's with foreigners doing the same you will see that the foreigners in general don't try to claim benefits from the Thai state wile vice versa that would be done. If you had enough money you could easily move into Holland or an other country they only try to protect the country from going bankrupt.

Your statements still dont cut much wood.