Computer Confusion

charley1947

I got lost trying to follow the AIS discussion. Here are some questions from somebody who feels pretty clueless right now. I expect to be in Chiang Mai the first week in May. I need a new laptop. Am I better off purchasing it in the U S or in Chiang Mai?

This ISP stuff puzzled me. Can I get by if I just grab 3G service for free? That would mean not using it at home, I believe. Thanks to this forum I realize I need to shop around for service, but I could survive my first few weeks before I found an apartment/house to rent by going to an area where 3G was available. Do I need to use an internet cafe to get my email?

If my questions seem confusing that would reflect back on the author. Everything here in the U S has been pretty automatic. Just sign up, send somebody a check every month and everything works. Apparently I am about enter a new dimension of internet adventure.

What other stuff should a newbie know about internet service in CM?

If your only visiting buy your computer in the states. Just make sure its has wireless. Not to many venues have AIS 3G wireless. Our form sponsor, Red Lion does. After you are hear you can decide what ISP you want. Yes The INTERNET in Thailand is what we call FUBOR. :)

I bought this Compaq CQ60 in Australia for $600 the week before I boarded the plane for Bangkok. Now in Rayong, the hotel where I'm writing from offers free wireless as part of the nightly rate of 500 baht, or 450 per month on top of the 6,500 monthly room rate.

I hope that provides some indication on the provision of wireless around parts of Thailand, not just the expensive hotels. All that I have to do is ask at the front desk for the password to login to the wireless account with.

Not all hotels I've booked into have it, but most seem to. No need to find a cafè when they have wireless right to the room.

I need a new laptop. Am I better off purchasing it in the U S or in Chiang Mai?

My thoughts on this one is where is home? If you are coming here for a holiday then buy in the US, if you are coming here to live full time then buy here.... Anything could go wrong if you live here and have a US laptop a model which is not sold here, something goes wrong you could be waiting months for a part to be shipped from the US...

just to add, voltage is different here in Thailand (240v)

electronics stores here do have for sale laptop transformers for common brands that are for sale here for @ 600 baht more if genuine

Does *anyone* sell electronics these days that isn't 100-250V? :)

If your only visiting buy your computer in the states. Just make sure its has wireless. Not to many venues have AIS 3G wireless. Our form sponsor, Red Lion does. After you are hear you can decide what ISP you want. Yes The INTERNET in Thailand is what we call FUBOR. :)

My American friend just bought a notebook computer in the States.

He paid $300 (9600 baht). Equivilent over here, same make, specs etc, 18000 baht.

just to add, voltage is different here in Thailand (240v)

electronics stores here do have for sale laptop transformers for common brands that are for sale here for @ 600 baht more if genuine

Does *anyone* sell electronics these days that isn't 100-250V? :)

Yes... there are a LOT of electronics sold in USA that does not automatically accept 220/240. We recently moved here (last august) and before we shipped all our electronics i made every effort to get universally acceptable power supplies... in most cases it was possible, but i had to make a lot of compromises.... Canon MFP in USA are not sold with 220 capability, so i switched to HP... but that was not my first choice.

My Onkyo receiver is only 110, no 220 models available .... and on and on...

I might add that if i was willing to pay extra $$ and buy certain international versions, i could have gotten compatible models... but i chose to just switch brands instead.

also, there are some electronics (my PS3 from Sony for instance) that specifically tells you it will NOT work in 220/240 asia....i even called sony tech support in USA and that was their mantra. However, after scouring the internet, i found that everyone DOES just plug and play in asia and they do work... and mine did! lucky me....

As for transformers, be sure to buy a "continuous" transformer... meaning one that is heavy duty enough to stay on all the time. Many cheapo transformers (even from USA) are for intermittent use only. I found out the hard way... burning things up is no fun.

If your only visiting buy your computer in the states. Just make sure its has wireless. Not to many venues have AIS 3G wireless. Our form sponsor, Red Lion does. After you are hear you can decide what ISP you want. Yes The INTERNET in Thailand is what we call FUBOR. :D

Do you mean FUBAR ?? :)