No More Free Thai Tourist Visas From March 5, 2010

so good news, really.

i think now all things will return to normal........... finish red stamps in laos, finish all problems about this.

Why do you think that just because tourist visas will no longer be free that the red stamps on back-to-back entries will cease? Where is the information for this?

It is a possiblity that red stamps will become less common once visa fees are applied after March 4. My agent mentioned this to me in on my last visit in December.

Time will tell if anything changes. Of course no one has "information" on this, just rumours.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We just decided to go to Cambodia anyway. No ploblum!

But Laos is still an option. Can you clarify this - please?

Vientiane may become more tourist visa friendly after March 5.

I cannot clarify anthing, as I don't have anything other than rumours to go on.

Cambodia was issuing double entry tourist visas last year before the fees were scraped in March, so Cambodia may become more tourist visa friendly too.

Do you really think it will make a big difference. Most tourists and travelers will get a free visa on arrival anyway. Even if they are from a country which requires them to have a visa I doubt very much that whether or not the visa will be free or not will make much difference in regards to their travel plans.

I agree with you entirely.

:D

Ditto

But maybe for some people THB 1,000 is a huge amount of money?!?

I bet there are some hotels/guest houses/bars/tuk-tuk drivers/taxi drivers/restaurants/cafes etc etc in Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia and Singapore that are very happy with Thai Immigration.

Not to mention all the revenue earnt from the visa fees being paid by foriegners to enter these neighboring countries...

Anywhere upwards of 1200 baht per person, for what in most cases will only be an overnight stay...

Working on a possibility of 500 people a day going through Lao immigration alone...600,000 baht a day....per year 300,000,000

All money that could have been spent in LOS

AHH So refreshing to be a part of this "love thy neighbour" attitude of Thais sharing the dosh around with the friendly neighbours..

Cambodia and its famous advisers must love 'em :)

Tourist Visa Exemption countries are: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bahrain, Brunei Darussalam, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Korea, Kuwait, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Philippines, Portugal, Qatar, Singapore, Spain, South Africa, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America and Vietnam.

Excuse my ignorance, but does this mean that residents of the above countries don't need a visa so there will be no charge?

As I said before it was said Thai Visa .com last year the free visa's where only going to be avialable till this March.Pity I'm coming back the end of march early April Damm always a bridesmaid never a bride.

Step to the altar, your next to be married, get a double entry on March 4th!! (or even a triple that is offered in some locations) Should have at least 6 months to use before it expires.

:D if you cant afford to pay for a small amount for a visa , you should not be their ,, stay home .. and go to the bar ,,

one night out in your own country would more than enough pay for a visa ,,,,

Always good to know that true genius are amongst us. :)

The point is that people who find a visa payment a challenge are not there (in Thailand). This is a point that Thai Immigration didn't consider when offering free tourist visas in the first place.

Well well - Contrary to any other countries visa on entry policy of usually the US and England get the longest stay

duration for visa on entry - contrary to this, Brazil and specifically Peru get 90 day visa on arrival.

Who would the immigration be entertaining and what line of work do you suppose they would

be in to receive the special (only 3 countries) 90 day visa on entry?

I mean - what is Peru known for? What do they export? What do they specialize

in?...

Great - so let's let our homies from there in for 90 days but all the rest of you all

only get 30. And NOW 15 at the border.

Who ever kicks out the pager guy from the party?

No no, stay all night. Here, make yourself right at home.

Is it my turn to go in the bathroom yet?

Hmmmmmmmm????

This is simply a reciprocal agreement thing. i.e. Thai's can go to Brazil, Peru, etc. without needing a visa.

But it is annoying when I get 6 months on arrival when I land in Hong Kong or Tokyo, without even applying for a visa, yet have to apply for one for Thailand where I've been married to a Thai for over 10 years now, and only get 3 months on arrival, WITH the visa, and the multi-entry visa only lasts a year. (Even India lets people married to Indians get multi-year visas, and they require people to get a tourist visa for even a trip as short as a day or two).

But I'm sure everyone will agree with me, the cost of the visa isn't an issue as for most people the amount is dwarfed by the cost of the plane tickets. It's the hassle involved. I work in a job where I have to travel most months, so a postal visa application is generally a non-starter. That means taking time off work to go to the embassy and apply in person (and pick up in person two days later).

Edited by bkk_mike

They can never keep their promise! By the way what is the difference between a Belgium citizen and one from Peru? Why we get 60 days they get 90? Maybe they look more yellow then us, the racists!

Peru presumably allows Thai passport holders to enter Peru without the ritual humiliation process that Thais must go through to get a visa to visit Belgium.

If Belgium (and the other master races ) stop making it difficult for Thais, then the Thais will have every incentive to stop making it difficult for Belgians.

ie a reciprocal agreement to waive visas.....

They can never keep their promise! By the way what is the difference between a Belgium citizen and one from Peru? Why we get 60 days they get 90? Maybe they look more yellow then us, the racists!

Peru presumably allows Thai passport holders to enter Peru without the ritual humiliation process that Thais must go through to get a visa to visit Belgium.

If Belgium (and the other master races ) stop making it difficult for Thais, then the Thais will have every incentive to stop making it difficult for Belgians.

ie a reciprocal agreement to waive visas.....

You're being quite melodramatic here. It's easy for a Belgian to gain entry into Thailand. You can easily get a tourist visa and you get 30 days visa free for shorter visits. A Thai cannot do that in Belgium.

It's pretty obvious that anyone originating from a poor Asian country would have to be closely scrutinized in order to gain entry into a developed country where social services are readily available and jobs pay at least 50x more.

There's nothing reciprocal about it.

I don't think anyone's mentioned the fact that free visas resulted in a significant loss of income for consulates. I'm glad my friends at Hull have had this restored to them. It's to no-one's benefit if consulates close, and I rely on the great service I get from Hull to live here.

Here's a handy clip-n'-keep list of how to turn tourism around in Thailand and earn the government millions of baht (for all the Thais in positions of power who read this forum):

- No border crossings for multiple entries. Simply go to your local immigration office and pay 2000 baht for your next passport stamp.

Yes, it's a short list, bur it's a waste of time making it longer because there is not ONE person in the Thai government who has an ounce of sense in his head. And they certainly don't need farang advice, thank you very much.

As I said before it was said Thai Visa .com last year the free visa's where only going to be avialable till this March.Pity I'm coming back the end of march early April Damm always a bridesmaid never a bride.

why don't you apply before March 05/10.They are valid for 6 months

Does this mean if i get a 60 day tourist visa on March 3rd i can use it at the end of March when i should be arriving?

yes,they are valid for 6 months

Carereful, a single entry is often only valid for 3 months, a double entry often 6 months. But the visa always stated till wat date it is valid. You have to enter Thailand before that day.

This will not make any noticeable difference at all.

Agreed. A triple entry tourist visa used to cost me $120 Canadian. Then, last fall I got one for free and knew it was too good to last. I would come anyway, regardless of cost. It's STILL a good deal.

I agree fully!$120 cad is still a great deal,considering the cost and the hassle of doing multiple border runs to allow yourself the same length of stay in the Kingdom.Not to mention each visa can be extended by 1 month. :)

what a shame.

the tourist minister should not be promissing something publicly, before the cabinet is informed and the issue discussed.

some people from all over the world were counting on his promise

'Thailand holds bilateral agreements on visa exemption for holders of passports from Brazil, South Korea and Peru, and these passport holders are given a 90 days stay.'

What the heck's that? Brazil, S. Korea and Peru. These passport holders are more considered being rich tourists, which allows them to stayfor 90 days with 10 Pesos, or forever. Sounds more bisexual than bilateral. Is there anybody in this forum who knows why Bolivian flake producers are allowed to stay longer than Europeans, or Americans????

Isn't that a kind of ridiculous?

Perhaps it is because Brazil, South Korea, and Peru allows Thai passport holders a visa exemption for a 90 day stay, which European countries or the USA do not. That would be the "bilateral agreement" referred to. I don't know if Bolivia has such an agreement; it didn't mention this, only Peru. Also, I believe there is probably a significant portion of the Bolivian population not involved in the production of cocaine, just as there is a significant portion of the US and European population not involved in the consumption of it.

what a shame.

the tourist minister should not be promissing something publicly, before the cabinet is informed and the issue discussed.

some people from all over the world were counting on his promise

'Thailand holds bilateral agreements on visa exemption for holders of passports from Brazil, South Korea and Peru, and these passport holders are given a 90 days stay.'

What the heck's that? Brazil, S. Korea and Peru. These passport holders are more considered being rich tourists, which allows them to stayfor 90 days with 10 Pesos, or forever. Sounds more bisexual than bilateral. Is there anybody in this forum who knows why Bolivian flake producers are allowed to stay longer than Europeans, or Americans????

Isn't that a kind of ridiculous?

Perhaps it is because Brazil, South Korea, and Peru allows Thai passport holders a visa exemption for a 90 day stay, which European countries or the USA do not. That would be the "bilateral agreement" referred to. I don't know if Bolivia has such an agreement; it didn't mention this, only Peru. Also, I believe there is probably a significant portion of the Bolivian population not involved in the production of cocaine, just as there is a significant portion of the US and European population not involved in the consumption of it.

The minimum visa for UK is 6 months for a Thai passport holder if granted by the British embassy.