Low Season Already-just Back

Just returned after 2 weeks on Phangan (Haad Yao) and 10 days in Railay Krabi, Railay was busy almost full (but it was early January) I got to Phangan on the 13 January and it was very quiet, the Thais who own the resorts on Haad Yao ( I know them for years) were saying that this year they had about a week of high season over New Year and since then very quiet, other bar owners and shop owners were also downbeat some (non locals) even thinking of giving it away as they could not sell on there leases and were only making enough to barely live on. Im Australian and I did not meet any Aussies there at all (not sure why) usually there are lots of Aussies around, mostly British German and Russians that I met this year. I didnt go to Haad Rin so not sure how many are there but Thong Sala was quiet too. Spent a few days in Lamai Samui and that was super quiet as well- I think a lot of business owners on Phangan and Samui are suffering.

hmmmm Lamai is still busy :) i can't enjoy my quiet spot on the beach, i've had to move onto lipa-noi.

I continue to be amazed at the optimism in the face of a tourism disaster.

Sure, you likely are seeing a load of tourists during the lowest of the high seasons on record.

But are they spending like before?

Where have all of the long-stay tourists gone too with their money?

The system is no longer sustainable.

Warnings have been posted over and over again.

Solutions have been posted over and over again.

I think the hot season will produce more than just heat this year.

Frustration is increasing along with anger, resentment, and the feeling that somebody must pay.

Too often, when xenophobia clouds minds, that somebody is a scapegoat like a Westerner.

This is really going to be a hot season. Too many variables at play that point to conflict.

hmmmm Lamai is still busy :D i can't enjoy my quiet spot on the beach, i've had to move onto lipa-noi.

I continue to be amazed at the optimism in the face of a tourism disaster.

Sure, you likely are seeing a load of tourists during the lowest of the high seasons on record.

But are they spending like before?

Where have all of the long-stay tourists gone too with their money?

The system is no longer sustainable.

Warnings have been posted over and over again.

Solutions have been posted over and over again.

I think the hot season will produce more than just heat this year.

Frustration is increasing along with anger, resentment, and the feeling that somebody must pay.

Too often, when xenophobia clouds minds, that somebody is a scapegoat like a Westerner.

This is really going to be a hot season. Too many variables at play that point to conflict.

Nothing like a little paranoia to concentrate the mind :)

The much-vaunted "High Season" simply didn't happen once again here in Pattaya.

I have been living here for ten years and since 2001, with the exception of 2004 because of the influx from Phuket following the tsunami, the variation in tourist numbers during the year doesn't vary that much.

Using the term "High Season" is clearly a ridiculous misnomer rather like the UK calling itself "Great Britain".

Edited by Jonathanpattaya

I've been coming to Samui every year for last ten years and I can assure you its as busy as it's ever been. Maybe the year after the tsunami it was busier. Now there are lots of Russians arround. I never noticed them in significant numbers in Samui before but they're here now.

Went to Tesco yesterday, couldn't get over how many Eastern European people there.

I've been coming to Samui every year for last ten years and I can assure you its as busy as it's ever been. Maybe the year after the tsunami it was busier. Now there are lots of Russians arround. I never noticed them in significant numbers in Samui before but they're here now.

I agree and many restaurants are realising this and offering a menu in Thai/Russian as well as Thai/English.

Went to Tesco yesterday, couldn't get over how many Eastern European people there.

Me too, expecially knowing that the only european with money are now only the germans....

maybe some big travel agency give them trips with 75% discount...