Suicide Prevention In Pattaya

WaatWang

Hello,

I have a friend here who I feel really needs some help. I know that at one point she had taken over 20 paracetamol tablets in the past, but thankfully survived. However she has begun talking about suicide again and I am very concerned about her.

She is Thai, and I don't know what kind of resources are available in the area - does anything exist? I have never had a friend speak like this before, and quite honestly started online reading on suicide.org because I didn't know where to start or how best to help her. It advises that suicidal feelings are often the result of a chemical imbalance that would need to be treated. If taken to a Thai hospital, is this something that would be taken seriously here? Or would they think I am overreacting? Does anyone know of a certain hosptial / doctor that would be best for treatment?

Any advice or stories of personal experience would be welcomed. Obviously you may not want personal experiences of this matter aired on the message board, so please pm me if you are uncomfortable about that. I just really want to find a way to help her.

Many thanks,

WaatWang

Thanks very much, Phil! I really appreciate it.

Mods, at your discretion you can move this to whatever forum you think will be most beneficial for this topic. I started in Pattaya because I was looking for resources locally.

WaatWang

There is a Bkk-based suicide hotline/helpline she can call

Samaritans of Thailand

P.O. Box 63

Por Nor For Santisuk

BANGKOK

Contact by: Face to Face - Phone - Letter: - Email:

Helpline 1: (02) 713-6793 (Thai service 12:00-22:00)

Email Helpline: [email protected]

Opening hours:

Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun: 12:00 - 22:00

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and concern.

Manarak, she is just under a lot of pressure from both job and family. And the last few months she is just feeling like she can't get ahead or catch a break, kind of like she's been taking one step forward and two steps back for too long.

I'm glad she could talk to me about it so I can be here to help her. Thank you all again.

WaatWang