Any Best Chiang Mai Cheap Food List ?

healthcaretaker

Can anyone introduce me some OUTSTANDING cheap LOCAL food places that locals favour in Chinag Mai ?

I have visited CM many times and I only know those few night stalls and a few shops but I am sure there are some really good food that existed for years that the locals know but not mentioned in guidebooks, is there any ?

I heard about this stall in a shop in Prapokklao Rd in Sripum that opens from 5 pm to 5 am selling pork soup or something. Its seems the food is very good and the stall owner will always remember you when he sees you again, anyone know where is the exact location ?

There is also a Kuaytiew sukhotai at si suan plaza soi(where is this ?) anyone knows ? Is it good ?

I have passed by several times near the moat and saw a large restaurant selling something like a buffet style or grilled/or steamboat, is it a famous place ? I wish to eat there this trip but forgot which part of CM, can anyone who knows describe it ?

The problem is that many of the Thai restaurants or cafes, whatever you want to call them, don`t have any names as such or the names are written up in Thai, so it`s difficult to describe where they are located.

I think it`s all a case of try a few and see which ones suit you, because there are hundreds of them spread about over the city.

That is exactly it. It is difficult enough trying to describe how to find well known restaurants with lots of big English signs, but Thai hole-in-the-walls are almost impossible to locate unless you read Thai and have lots of extra time.

Edited by Ulysses G.

All the carts/shops behind CMU, Busaba is my favorite.

At the Prasing Post Office there is a great Kaow Ka Muu shop at night, during the day hit the intersection of the police department and brownie house internet cafe (the one that had the alien scrap statue). close to the cafe is a great Kaow Ka Muu shop as well.

My favorite BBQ chicken in down at the T intersection of Ratanagosin.

next to DK bookstore there is Kin Kai, which I think is the best fried chicken in CM and they share with a great Thai food restaurant. Their "Ka-na muu glarp" is awesome.

For kaomun gai, I like kaomun gai Nantaram, on nantaram road, but they also have a branch in robinson's food court.

For snacks, Suriwong has great Babin, Kanom krok, and bacon wrapped hotdog bits.

dam_n I sound fat.

I know where there is a fantastic one in the old city... but am not tellin'. That it has one regular farang has tainted it enough IMO :)

Btw, is it so that the unnamed ones are unregistered/unlicensed which is why they don't have a name?

The famous late night noodle soup place on Prapoklao is at the North end, on the west side of the street. Go North about a block past the big Thai Airways building (right side) and this double shop is on the left. I don't know if he actually remembers the customers but you will get a kick out of watching him. He speaks like computer, remembers what everybody ordered no matter how large the group and adds everything ridiculously fast. I guess that used to have a commercial on tv and the guy is a local legend. Famous people are often scene there late at night too. Oh ya, they call it Gwit-E-owe Wa Nome. Excuse the spelling but it means "nipple noodle soup" as the processed meat balls are small, "like nipples"???

Chiang Mai gate is a good evening food market and so is Chang Puak gate. Khao Ka Moo is pork leg on rice. The biggest one at Chang Puak gate where the lady wheres a cowboy hat is the best. The one on the moat side of the road in the middle of Chiang Mai gate market is also good. The vendor is a friendly thin thai guy with glasses.

Very good noodle soup, one shop north of the corner at Moon Muang and Ratchamanka Rd. The owner sits is an ancient little boat where he prepares your soup. Its open in the am till around 2-3pm.

I'll leave it at that for now...

At the intersection (within the moat) of Thanon Siphum (the northern inner moat boundary running east west) and Thanon Ratchapakinai (running north south) is the Somphet Jok Restaurant open 24 hours a day.

ioho : best Jok (the very thick rice porridge) in Chiang Mai, and they have jok plaa made with a fish they say they import from Vietnam called "snow fish," which is very tender, boneless.

They also have an extensive regular menu of Thai food, and several chicken dishes served virtually spiceless in a thick Chinese style brown sauce. Clientele is mainly Thai.

Nice people, the food is clean, staff is friendly. They also usually hae an assortment of home-made dim sum with crab or shrimp, or whatever stuffings.

best, ~o:37;

At the intersection (within the moat) of Thanon Siphum (the northern inner moat boundary running east west) and Thanon Ratchapakinai (running north south) is the Somphet Jok Restaurant open 24 hours a day.

Sounds good, but I do not know these street names. Any landmarks on this? That is how the Thais usually do it. :)

Suthep Road left side, pass the Suandok temple garden for another 20 metres, opposite the Neurological Hospital.

Double restaurant, one is kind of green inside.

Very good are: 'macaroni kai' Macaroni Chicken, 'kao pad sapalot' Fried Rice/Pineapple/Chicken (rice indain style) and Tom Yam Kai !!!!!

30 or 35 bht each.

The daytime chicken cart opposite AIA Languages Institute, Sunday market street has good pieces of fried chicken breast for 5 bht.

Thai Airways office has a DELICIOUS Puff 'n Pie bakery inside !!!!!!

ioho : best Jok (the very thick rice porridge) in Chiang Mai, and they have jok plaa made with a fish they say they import from Vietnam called "snow fish," which is very tender, boneless.

They also have an extensive regular menu of Thai food, and several chicken dishes served virtually spiceless in a thick Chinese style brown sauce. Clientele is mainly Thai.

Nice people, the food is clean, staff is friendly. They also usually hae an assortment of home-made dim sum with crab or shrimp, or whatever stuffings.

Totally agree with you Orang, haven't been in a while and never tried the fish Jok but being a big fan of snow fish will add it to my list of to do's this week.

I've pm'd UG with directions that he will understand :)

Thank you very much for all these wonderful replies. Are Thais or foreigners ? Looks like 2 days will not be enough for me this trip.

What food is Somphet Jok selling ?

Which place in CM is best for this soup ? It's a clear soup with some meats of pork and other pig's belongings with some green vegetables placed together in the soup, normally served with rice. This type of vege is seldom seen and not served in other Asian countries. I liked it very much from a shop near a lane very close to a night market near the moat, it's either north or south.

Can someone teach me how can I highlight part of another post like post#9 did ? That will be very easy to message with reference.

I had an excellent meal at the large Thai place on Ratchadamnoen Road on Sunday night when it became Walking Street. It's about half way down on the right looking South.

Four courses including Tomyamgung and Khao pad gung, one bottle of beer, one bottle of water, all two large people could eat for 300B.

Food was fresh, well cooked and delicious and service fast (place was packed). Definitely will be back.

I'm with Jack... I am afraid I won't be sharing any top food place tips because part of the reason I like them so much is that they have no (or few farang)... perfect

just go and try and experiment yourself, it's much more fun and rewarding that way!

Don't worry, trust me. I won't tell others about the places. I am a Asian Chinese and I won't bring other farangs along. Please....what are your conditions ?. :)

I'm with Jack... I am afraid I won't be sharing any top food place tips because part of the reason I like them so much is that they have no (or few farang)... perfect

just go and try and experiment yourself, it's much more fun and rewarding that way!

Don't worry, trust me. I won't tell others about the places. I am a Asian Chinese and I won't bring other farangs along. Please....what are your conditions ?. :D

haha :D

ok, there's this one place, just off the side of the road... lovely khao soi and great ice cream too... very cheap... you should try it! :)

[The daytime chicken cart opposite AIA Languages Institute, Sunday market street has good pieces of fried chicken breast for 5 bht.

Good to know that chicken cart is still there. That was my lunch stop back in 2000 when I was living on a budget of 10k baht a month. :)

Don't worry, trust me. I won't tell others about the places. I am a Asian Chinese and I won't bring other farangs along. Please....what are your conditions ?. :D

haha :D

ok, there's this one place, just off the side of the road... lovely khao soi and great ice cream too... very cheap... you should try it! :)

Ok but where is it ? Have you forgotten to name and describe the place ?

Or are you just teasing ? :D

What is khao soi ? Thanks.

Jok Somphet is one of my favorite places. Clientele is mainly Thai??? I would say more like 50/50 Thai/farang! Oh and if I'm not mistaken, they never close.

Edited by elektrified

Suthep Road left side, pass the Suandok temple garden for another 20 metres, opposite the Neurological Hospital.

Double restaurant, one is kind of green inside.

Very good are: 'macaroni kai' Macaroni Chicken, 'kao pad sapalot' Fried Rice/Pineapple/Chicken (rice indain style) and Tom Yam Kai !!!!!

30 or 35 bht each.

The daytime chicken cart opposite AIA Languages Institute, Sunday market street has good pieces of fried chicken breast for 5 bht.

Thai Airways office has a DELICIOUS Puff 'n Pie bakery inside !!!!!!

I cannot find which restaurant opp the hospital as none of them has any English words

I saw some restaurants both before and after the 2 barber shops as you come from the old city direction, which is the right one ?

Ok but where is it ? Have you forgotten to name and describe the place ?

Or are you just teasing ? :)

What is khao soi ? Thanks.

khao soy is noodles in curry broth, usually with chicken or beef, delicious

Khao%20Soy.jpg

my fav place for khao soy is on Thanon Chareon prathet soi 1, the soi with the Islam mosque in the night bazaar

I tried the Somphet Jok and maybe I am not used to it, the porridge, probably cook with crushed rice grains, looks like starch, not a single sign of rice, just a few small meat balls, cost 25 baht, making it the highest profit margin food of 25 baht :)

I saw another shop just a few metres away from the DVD shop at Ton Payom with very impressive display of pork ingredients served in porridge too. Anyone tried it ? Is it nice ?

I went to the Sri Phum/ Prappoklao Rd junction looking for the famous soup noodle but again it's closed today, according to the songtheaw driver and he took me to another shop along the samphaeng market traffic night. I find it just normal but the soya bean stall opposite the road is very nice.