Thailand Aims To Seize All Thaksin Fortune

webfact

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To call the most successful leader Thailand ever had "a creep" is close to insanity. Have we forgotten in that Mr. Thaksin. turned around a financial crisis that had left the Thai government and the elite blinking in the headlights. Let us not forget the despair of Thailand's neighbors that had been pulled to the ground by the failed Thai financial system. Some of us also remember that the seriously ill, or injured on the Isan invariable died for lack of medical attention before the Thaksin Government provided rural clinics and cottage hospitals.

Great first post!

Not a single fact in it and some outrageous stretching of what MIGHT be considered some sketchy truth!

Big trouble in little Thailand...

Abhisit should listen to Hun Sen, he is already calling Abhisit a cheat , if Abhisit dishonestly takes Thaksins money the whole country will know that he and his Military bosses are cheats and all the bad karma will come back to get them.

Anyone want to take a bet on a new PM or coup or both within the next 6 months?

Thaksin was a rich man even before he came into power, and the governments claim to his entire fortune is spurious indeed. I also find it a little disturbing how you all accept what should be a fair trial as a foregone conclusion and see no problem in doing so. I think you have all been in Thailand a little too long.

...in a matter of three years Thaksins wealth grew from 700 Mio. USD to 2200 Mio. USD. Please show me how you can do this with honest work. Considering the regular interest rate of Chines goldshops of 28% p.a. Thaksin is well served when they seize his complety property and his funds. We will not forget, that he still has a contract with Cambodia to "take care" of all landlines and the complete mobile phone business for the next 35 years.

Maybe somebody can help me to find the link, where the deal is being described and how this contract came into effect.

To call the most successful leader Thailand ever had "a creep" is close to insanity. Have we forgotten in that Mr. Thaksin. turned around a financial crisis that had left the Thai government and the elite blinking in the headlights. Let us not forget the despair of Thailand's neighbors that had been pulled to the ground by the failed Thai financial system. Some of us also remember that the seriously ill, or injured on the Isan invariable died for lack of medical attention before the Thaksin Government provided rural clinics and cottage hospitals.

Great first post!

Not a single fact in it and some outrageous stretching of what MIGHT be considered some sketchy truth!

I agree with the 'newbie" who is probably a banned oldie with a new ID. :)

I went to a few of the Children's Day events in Chiang Mai, one sponsored by Thaksin....and he did seem genuinely supported at these events there(not suprising I hear you say).

More alarming is that there always local troops at the sponsored events....and they seemed to like him as well. And in the past few decades there have been countless students through Montfort College where Thaksin was held up as the pinnacle.

Before the current fracas I travelled to a small village a few hours west of Chiang Mai where Thaksin had put in solar panels and a sat dish so they now had electricity and a few hundred channels of TV from China (and the locals spoke Mandarin, though poor and ethnically Thai)...he was loved...no one had done anything for them before. A small gesture remembered/bought....but it has made a difference whatever teh motive.

Bribery/graft/corruption allegations aside Thaksin seemed well supported by the populus in the North and seemed to have made a tangible positive difference to the farming folk as well as the aspirational middle classes. Certainly he put Thai development a priority and tried to tackle drugs ...not too much of either seen before or after him....and lets remember he was voted in.......

Amazing the misinformation and lies so many STILL believe about this supremely polarizing figure.

Unusually Wealthy, means that he must explain his paper trial. Show a legal paper trail.

That may prove quite difficult bordering on impossible for him. Nothing described in court

so far has indicated they have any proof of this. And the prosecution has had many documents on their case.

If the court believes from evidence presented that an 'ongoing pattern of criminal behavior' exists,

and that he hasn't adequately explained his unusual wealth, then they can take it.

If it likely is beyond a reasonable doubt gained through unexplained means, and thus not legally obtained.

Civil trials usually have a lower threshold than criminal trials, See OJ Simpson for example.

He can appeal and try and explain it. If he has the documents and accountants and contracts,

then he can. If not well then it is pretty questionable and he loses the bet.

But just that explaining likely will open more avenues for claims against him.

I am surprised the listing of OTHER case, 6 or so in number are not already listed here.

Described in many threads here already. On hold in most case by Thaksins refusal to come into court.

Amazing the misinformation and lies so many STILL believe about this supremely polarizing figure.

Unusually Wealthy, means that he must explain his paper trial. Show a legal paper trail.

That may prove quite difficult bordering on impossible for him. Nothing described in court

so far has indicated they have any proof of this. And the prosecution has had many documents on their case.

If the court believes from evidence presented that an 'ongoing pattern of criminal behavior' exists,

and that he hasn't adequately explained his unusual wealth, then they can take it.

If it likely is beyond a reasonable doubt gained through unexplained means, and thus not legally obtained.

Civil trials usually have a lower threshold than criminal trials, See OJ Simpson for example.

He can appeal and try and explain it. If he has the documents and accountants and contracts,

then he can. If not well then it is pretty questionable and he loses the bet.

But just that explaining likely will open more avenues for claims against him.

I am surprised the listing of OTHER case, 6 or so in number are not already listed here.

Described in many threads here already. On hold in most case by Thaksins refusal to come into court.

The question is not really whether he is guilty or not but why is he the first one to be sued?

Edited by eurasianthai

Great first post!

A truly amazing debut from a stranger... tis true, tis true.

Spandex award given on entrance.

And such precision, it astounds... NOT!

I don't think that all can be seized. There will be lots of interest claims as well.

What's the fuss of over 20 000 security forces in 38 provinces and over 6000 in Bangkok alone? IS THAT ANOTHER SETTING FOR A COUP? At the one hand so many claim that there are no more than a couple of thousand Thaksin supporters and at the other hand they need to meet with over 20 000 security forces? - Strange to strangest.

I think it's merily a provokation for the people and to train them and get them used in Junta style livelyhood. Burma with electricity comes to mind. Does anybody here seriously think that Lung(Uncle) Lek from Fujiburi would stage or join a revolt for Thaksin?

This governemnt should not forget that one protester represents up to 2000-3000 people with the same agenda. Most of the people don't have the time and financial resources to join in the protests, and which has nothing to do with Thaksin at all. This is just a hanger for the govt to implement stringent measures to surpress it's own people.

In the US, 50 phonecalls to your senator about one and the same subjects makes them act. Why? Because they have learned that when one person makes the effort to pick up the phone and contact the senator's hotline number, the caller represents 5000 people. So 50 calls equals 250000 people.

Don't forget the silent majority in Thailand. They may be fedup at a certain point.

This governemnt should not forget that one protester represents up to 2000-3000 people with the same agenda. Most of the people don't have the time and financial resources to join in the protests, and which has nothing to do with Thaksin at all. This is just a hanger for the govt to implement stringent measures to surpress it's own people.

Ummmm

1) I don't know what hat you are pulling numbers out of ....

and

2) 1 protester that is getting paid represents 1 guy hiding in Dubai and that is all he represents :)

appeal it? he bailed out of the country! can he appeal it outside the country? I am not sure if they accept that without his prior retrun. yep, if he does return, he as lots of other things stacked against him

He's off helping Hun Sen, and doesn't have the balls to return and face any of it. If he could, common sense tells us he never would have fled, so obviously the truth is revealed. It can't be more glaring and spelled out.

I doubt after failure to appear and trying to start riots, then openly bribing people to wear a red shirt for 500 baht, that he will fall under normal cases...ones in which defendents actually appear before the judge and display willingness to show proof and papertrails.

anyhow, he hid his money and used power avoid taxes on his own assests, paperwork or not, he's screwed. prolly why he's so angry that he knows he got caught.

Well, this early news is bound to create a major reaction from both sides of the coin. Let's hope all can keep a level head to minimize the expected violence.

Please people, politics is ultimately about individuals, money and power ... all rational people will agree that there are other possibilities to explore before going off half cocked. Lets hope the rational factions have the best interest of ALL in mind.

I went to a few of the Children's Day events in Chiang Mai, one sponsored by Thaksin....and he did seem genuinely supported at these events there(not suprising I hear you say).

More alarming is that there always local troops at the sponsored events....and they seemed to like him as well. And in the past few decades there have been countless students through Montfort College where Thaksin was held up as the pinnacle.

Before the current fracas I travelled to a small village a few hours west of Chiang Mai where Thaksin had put in solar panels and a sat dish so they now had electricity and a few hundred channels of TV from China (and the locals spoke Mandarin, though poor and ethnically Thai)...he was loved...no one had done anything for them before. A small gesture remembered/bought....but it has made a difference whatever teh motive.

Bribery/graft/corruption allegations aside Thaksin seemed well supported by the populus in the North and seemed to have made a tangible positive difference to the farming folk as well as the aspirational middle classes. Certainly he put Thai development a priority and tried to tackle drugs ...not too much of either seen before or after him....and lets remember he was voted in.......

Alright, I, as one of the more outspoken Thaksin dislikers on this forum, am going to agree with you. He did some good. BUT he broke the law. Where does it say that in a court of law a man's crimes will be balanced against the good he has done? If I give away a dollar to a beggar each day, but robbed a bank to get that money will I be let off? Even if I didn't keep any of the money for myself? (Something Thaksin definitely didn't do, he robbed the bank, gave a bit of it away and siphoned the rest offshore). You tell a heartwarming story, but what has it got to do with his current court case? Are you going to tell us that all the witnesses were actually agents of the military? Many of his crimes were protested against at the time they happened. The evidence is out there. It doesn't matter what he did, or was perceived to do, for the country, he broke the law, he should accept responsibility and take his punishment.

Ummmm

1) I don't know what hat you are pulling numbers out of ....

and

2) 1 protester that is getting paid represents 1 guy hiding in Dubai and that is all he represents :)

Maybe some research would help to understand the math about it.

Even the favorite argument in Thailand is payed protesters blah, blah blah ..., but someone has to foot the bills. Worker Unions in the West pay the staff who strikes a full salery. So what's the difference? Do not underestimate the common peoples' understanding of things.

Bottom line is that it goes far beyound Thaksin's issues and as long as the govt doesn't deal with it in a reasonable way the worse it will get.

Even if I didn't keep any of the money for myself? (Something Thaksin definitely didn't do, he robbed the bank, gave a bit of it away and siphoned the rest offshore).

Wow, the Thaksin-haters are getting more and more ridiculous here every day. First time I see someone accusing him of robbing a bank. What's next? He smashed Donald Duck's piggy bank and took that too?

:)

Bottom line is that it goes far beyound Thaksin's issues and as long as the govt doesn't deal with it in a reasonable way the worse it will get.

Yes, it's got nothing to do with Thaksin. This sudden flurry of rumours about coups, peoples armies, millions of protestors, Hun Sen accusations and curse calling is simply coincidental with the timing of the asset trial. Nothing at all to do with it.

... and I think 2009 that you should figure out how a cop gets to be so rich so fast. Stick around for a while before you begin to expound on what anyone else thinks, let alone what you think.

Thaksin was a rich man even before he came into power, and the governments claim to his entire fortune is spurious indeed. I also find it a little disturbing how you all accept what should be a fair trial as a foregone conclusion and see no problem in doing so. I think you have all been in Thailand a little too long.

Why doesn't the Abhsit government call for elections? And let the people decide who they want. The people of Thailand haven't voted for the Democrats. They voted for TRT/PPP/Puea Thai and their allies, who then switched sides and jumped into bed with the Democrats.

If the Democrats are so confident that they have the people behind them, why not call for fresh elections?

But then again, elections won't help anything, because if anyone other than the Democrats win, they'll simply make another coup, declare the election illegal, the voters got bribed, etc. Not very 'democratic' of the 'Democrats', but anyways...

Edited by rainman

Even if I didn't keep any of the money for myself? (Something Thaksin definitely didn't do, he robbed the bank, gave a bit of it away and siphoned the rest offshore).

Wow, the Thaksin-haters are getting more and more ridiculous here every day. First time I see someone accusing him of robbing a bank. What's next? He smashed Donald Duck's piggy bank and took that too?

No he was taking things out of it's context...............or was that you?

The February 26th deadline will come and go without anything happening. Neither will the courts make a decision. We'll see some excuse and more delays.

hmmm this is a new tactic from you and in stark contradiction to what you normally say.

The February 26th deadline will come and go without anything happening. Neither will the courts make a decision. We'll see some excuse and more delays.

hmmm this is a new tactic from you and in stark contradiction to what you normally say.

'Tactic'? What do I normally say about February 26th? I think I wrote quite a few times already that I don't believe that there will be a decision on February 26th. No conspiracy here.

Why doesn't the Abhsit government call for elections? And let the people decide who they want. The people of Thailand haven't voted for the Democrats. They voted for TRT/PPP/Puea Thai and their allies, who then switched sides and jumped into bed with the Democrats.

If the Democrats are so confident that they have the people behind them, why not call for fresh elections?

But then again, elections won't help anything, because if anyone other than the Democrats win, they'll simply make another coup, declare the election illegal, the voters got bribed, etc. Not very 'democratic' of the 'Democrats', but anyways...

Ummmmm your memory is not only short (the parties that helped PPP to form a government publicly stated that they would not do that prior to the 2007 elections).

but your pure facts are wrong too

post-4271-1265726093_thumb.jpg

Take a look at the raw vote numbers. :)

Why don't the Dem's call a new election? Well if you think back to the LAST time a PM dissolved Parliament early when he still had a functioning government, you will see that it was Thaksin trying to cover his tail (over the changing laws to benefit him and his business sale), and save TRT (which he KNEW would be dissolved).

It's called a metaphor. It should be taken in context with the previous sentences in the post you so cunningly cut out. A rather effective literary device, however I seem to have over estimated the comprehension skills of my fellow forum members. I do apologise, I'll spell it out in more detail next time.

Although, it could well be argued that Thaksin did in fact rob the Reserve Bank of Thailand. You can just as effectively rob a bank by taking the money before it's deposited. Yes. Thaksin did rob a bank. The Reserve Bank of Thailand. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

'Tactic'? What do I normally say about February 26th? I think I wrote quite a few times already that I don't believe that there will be a decision on February 26th. No conspiracy here.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=3316435

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=3315355

oops in this one you used your normal tactic AND did say there would be a delay

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=3315299

Sorry folks ... I won't actually type what rainman posts as it might just be against the law and forum rules --- you'll have to follow the links.

Edited by jdinasia