Filing for k-1 visa, couple questions

I'm currently in Bangkok and I'm putting together my K-1 visa application to mail to the California Service Center early next week, but I have a couple questions.

Does my Thai fiance's birth certificate need to be translated?

Is a normal photocopy of her birth certificate acceptable?

I was born in California and I only have a certified copy of my birth certificate. Can I submit a photocopy of the certified copy or should I submit the actual certified copy?

Where is a good place in Bangkok to get the ADIT photos for my fiance and I? (I don't want my application delayed because the photos don't meet the exact specifications.)

Thanks for your time and any response. Any advice is welcome.

You should talk with the US Consulate or INS officer here for current requirements.  Previously you did not mail any original documents from Thailand but not sure if that is still the case.  Either Consulate or INS can provide information for photos - it is not as hard as it appears but most Thai shops that don't do them would need step by step instructions so best to use recommended shops.  The ACS office in the consulate here in Bangkok should be able to help you and you can email them at

[email protected]

That means make sure the photos are absolutely on the money or they will kick it back.

Perhaps.  And I would also make sure.  But I also know that I used a front on photo with no problem (after checking with local INS rep).  But that was yesterday and today is post 9/11. :o

Post 9/11 has seen changes that make even the most ardent statists complain sometimes.

I fedexed mine from Samui. Was kicked back for the photos. Not a single shop in Samui either knew how to make them precise ( was advised to fly to bkk ha!) or were too lazy/arrogant.

Finally found a back of a drug store place where they just couldn't believe a Vietnamese and American living in Santi Thani were doing this and allowed my fiance to play on their computer and she got it right.

Fedexed again and the process started for real. The best part was "only the photos" were kicked back ( perhaps because a lawyer was involved) and not the whole file. That saved time.

Then there is the issue of $$$. You must file and if you haven't or had a sharp accountant show losses for previous years, you better be prepared to ante up the taxes on 125% of the poverty line ( about 15K ) whicg equates to app 3400/yr for 3 years back and 5 years forward although the forward isn't such a concern.

We had to laugh as I lost tons in the preceeding 2 years but couldn't claim that. I had to pay as though I were in profit!

Free huh? Ha!

You will need the police report from local Thai pd. I have no idea how to do that in thailand. In Vnam, they KNOW the golden goose just walked in and it meant an envelope under the table to get it done relatively quickly.

Take it seriously.

Good luck again

P.S. Forget email copies. Yu need actual letters, and phone bills.

Mr Vietnam

Thanks a bunch for the advice, guys.

We don't have any letters or phone bills to submit. We messaged each other on an instant messenger program for a year before we met in person. I was planning on submitting partial logs as evidence. Would that work?

I've been in Bangkok living with her since June and will be here until mid-January when my extended 'vacation' comes to an end. We're having our Thai wedding ceremony on December 5th for her family, but we won't have our official marriage until we're in the US.

Should I submit notarized statements from her parents about our relationship as additional evidence?

I guess I'm just kinda worried about not having satisfactory proof of our relationship. We haven't really taken many pictures since I got here, but we're working on using up 3 rolls of film I just bought.

Lived with my wife for more than 2 years in Asia. Can you believe the consular creep asked for phone bills? ( and we had a lot of photos)

They do not accept emails or anything related. Copies of plane tickets, actual photos ( dated ones are best), etc and anything tangible that will show a "relationship" is helpful.

Notarized statements from her parents mean nothing.

Rgrds

Mr Vietnam  ???

can agree on the photo issue, my husband's green card application was sent back because the photos were not exactly right. talk to the consular officer, they can give you a list of places that do the photos correctly, plus a list of translators acceptable to the US. Plus, here is the most important advice: be nice and friendly!! these guys have lots of power and boy do they like to use it!!

these guys have lots of power and boy do they like to use it!!

It's human nature. That's why it's also wise to involve a US Senator or Congressman. You've been gone from California for more than 6 months so you may have lost your "constituency" status.

So it's better to be nice to your usual Congressman's Consular Laison. Get them on your side and it signals to the much lower on the food chain consular employee that "somebody else in the US" cares about your case.

Mr Vietnam  :o

You need to have her documents translated and certified by a competent witness that they are credible translations.

My girlfriend is fluent in both English and Thai. I assume it would be acceptable for her to translate them? Then where would I go to get them certified? :o

mmmm.. I wouldn't frankly, I would go straight to a translator, we used one suggested by the embassy, and the translator was also able to certify. my husband's english is fluent as well, but remember the dotted i, crossed t thing? well, this is definitely one you do not want to mess up on. they are really picky about having everything exactly right --guess they love their bureaucratic bs. so, best suggestion, call or email the US embassy and get a specific list of translators and photographers --that way all is perfect and they have nothing to kick back. also, the congressperson idea is a good one, my parents contacted their congressman (leon panetta at the time) and his office contacted the US embassy to get them on their toes. even if you are no longer a constituent, your parents or family members are. good luck!