Breakfast Like A King...

Bearnagh

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They do have good whole wheat and seven grain bread, but I agree that they never toast it properly unless you get one of the more clever staff members (Lucky or Kulab) and make a big deal out of what you want. However, the buttermilk pancakes are good and they are only place in town that serves that style.

The pancakes are the best - particularly the mango pancakes. Plus, they have the only 'real' sausage (they make it themselves) that I have found in Thailand. Definitely the best breakfast in Chiang Mai.

Thanks for the tip, never would have guessed. I was at the Art Cafe one time for dinner, had horrific pasta, and never went there again.

I quite enjoyed breakfast at the Olde Bell, that was really nice.

I find the posts about the search function quite boring. Who cares. Things change. If I use the search function, I might find a 4 year old post, and then what. I also might find nothing. There's nothing wrong with asking in the forum. That's what a forum is for. It's very easy to ignore posts you are not interested in, so instead about posting your bit about the search, maybe just move along and ignore the topic. Thanks!

They do have good whole wheat and seven grain bread, but I agree that they never toast it properly unless you get one of the more clever staff members (Lucky or Kulab) and make a big deal out of what you want. However, the buttermilk pancakes are good and they are only place in town that serves that style.

The pancakes are the best - particularly the mango pancakes. Plus, they have the only 'real' sausage (they make it themselves) that I have found in Thailand. Definitely the best breakfast in Chiang Mai.

Thanks for the tip, never would have guessed. I was at the Art Cafe one time for dinner, had horrific pasta, and never went there again.

I enjoy breakfast at both the Art Cafe and the Olde Bell. That seems to be what both places do best. I prefer Chez Marco's, Pun Pun Guest House or the Duke's any later in the day.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I enjoy breakfast at both the Art Cafe and the Olde Bell. That seems to be what both places do best. I prefer Chez Marco's, Pun Pun Guest House or the Duke's any later in the day.

Like getgoin mentions, the best place to have a breakfast is at home, imho.

UG is right about the Art Cafe they do some great breakfasts, I reckon they do a great Eggs Benedict, Venturelaw raves about their breakfast sausage which is not what us Brits would call a breakfast sausage but he's right it's pretty tasty.

Again I concur that the Art Cafe is a great breakfast place but I'd eat elsewhere in the evening.

Myself, being a displaced Englishman would consider a "proper" breakfast to consist of: back bacon, 2 eggs (fried or scrambled - preferably fried for utmost oil & cholesterol content), baked beans (the healthy bit), mushrooms - preferably the big open "field" type, a couple of decent sausages (Waitrose @ Tops are close), tomatoes, black pudding and a couple of decent slices of fried bread.

As a slightly well-built person, I prefer to substitute toast for the fried-bread, it soaks up the egg-yolk & b.bean-juice or tomatoes a treat, but often have to order extra toast. Why does nobody offer an alternative ?

But fried-potato is also a must, which blows the diet-theory away, oh well ! :)

I used to work on Northern Ireland and have had many Ulster Breakfasts at the Gallaher factory in Ballymena.

I'll give some thought to Potato bread - I used to love it!!

What about Soda bread. I dont know how easy that is to make.

If you have a restaurant somewhere and you can make either of the above - I'll be right along!

I found a few recipes via google for potato bread and soda bread. Seems reasonably straightforward and the ingredients are basic and common.

It's a long way from Ballymena eh? :)

I used to work on Northern Ireland and have had many Ulster Breakfasts at the Gallaher factory in Ballymena.

I'll give some thought to Potato bread - I used to love it!!

What about Soda bread. I dont know how easy that is to make.

If you have a restaurant somewhere and you can make either of the above - I'll be right along!

I found a few recipes via google for potato bread and soda bread. Seems reasonably straightforward and the ingredients are basic and common.

It's a long way from Ballymena eh? :)

Ha! Ha! sure is a long way from Ballymena. Great town! The company let me stay in the Adair Arms when I was in town, and the best restaurant was a Chinese place. Chinese with Ulster accents was interesting!

As for potato bread, I've found a recipe and we'll try it over the next few days. If it tastes good, I'll post again!

• 1 month later...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthne...scientists.html

breakfast_1607434c.jpg

Fried breakfast is healthiest start to day, say scientists

A breakfast of bacon, sausages, eggs, and beans could be the healthiest start to the day, according to new research.

Scientists believe that breakfast programmes the metabolism for the rest of the day, and a fatty meal will help the body break down fat later on.

Carbohydrate rich foods in contrast appear mainly to prepare the body to break down only carbohydrates, the International Journal of Obesity reports.

Dr Martin Young, of the University of Alabama at Birmingham, said: “The first meal you have appears to programme your metabolism for the rest of the day.

“This study suggests that if you ate a carbohydrate-rich breakfast it would promote carbohydrate utilisation throughout the rest of the day, whereas if you have a fat-rich breakfast, you (can) transfer your energy utilisation between carbohydrate and fat.”

The team of researchers found there may be some truth in the old saying “'eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper' – may be the key to a healthy body and mind.”

Their study looked at the effects of eating different types of food – and of eating them at different times in the day, according to the Daily Mail.

Mice fed a high fat meal after waking remained healthy, but those given a carb-rich breakfast, followed by a fatty dinner, did not fare as well.

Co-researcher Professor Molly Bray added: “Our study seems to show that if you really want to be able to efficiently respond to mixed meals across a day, a meal in higher fat content in the morning is a good thing.”

Edited by whiterussian

I well take Butter is Better any day of the week on Chang Klan Road. :D

www.butterisbetterbakery.com

I will take any decent place that's air conditioned during these few months.

Nothing worse than sitting having a meal, sweating, with a fan blasting down directly at you.

Heaven knows what 'bits' land on your food. :)

Edit: Where ARE the air conditioned places that serve a decent breakfast?

Edited by uptheos

Everytime when we want to have a really extraordinary breakfast (buffet style) we visit the Holiday Inn on Sundays, starting at 11:30. In fact it's a brunch meaning offering also lunch dishes.

Never tasted such a great international variety of fresh and tasty quality kickshaws for the reasonable price of 450 THB/person (making use of their free Elite Dining Card). Everytime we spend at least 2 hours.

For holiday Sundays it's advised to make a table reservation.

Everytime when we want to have a really extraordinary breakfast (buffet style) we visit the Holiday Inn on Sundays, starting at 11:30. In fact it's a brunch meaning offering also lunch dishes.

Never tasted such a great international variety of fresh and tasty quality kickshaws for the reasonable price of 450 THB/person (making use of their free Elite Dining Card). Everytime we spend at least 2 hours.

The Holiday Inn on a Sunday is the best deal in town by far. For an extra 250 baht you can also get unlimited wine (red, white, both) or beer. Last time a went there I had 5 glasses of wine. Now that's what you call value for money.

Cheers.....

Where ARE the air conditioned places that serve a decent breakfast?

There is a difference between a brunch and a breakfast and the poster asked for the best breakfast as does the topic :) .

Edited by alfieconn

There is a difference between a brunch and a breakfast and the poster asked for the best breakfast as does the topic :) .

Don't be so nitpicking!

He will simply not look at the lunch dishes and - voila - he enjoys a perfect breakfast ... :D

milwall fan.

re ... Looks like a good deal bigwheelman. we at The Olde Bell do a similar breakfast with coffee AND orange juice (freshly Squeezed of course) 145 baht!

ohhhh .... you are awfull ..... but i like you ... he he

dave2

milwall fan.

re ... Looks like a good deal bigwheelman. we at The Olde Bell do a similar breakfast with coffee AND orange juice (freshly Squeezed of course) 145 baht!

ohhhh .... you are awfull ..... but i like you ... he he

dave2

Gee: The Old Bell is an ATM and money exchanger. Business must be good. :)

Just had a very nice breakfast at Praties near rimping ruamchok plaza. Very good food and not served with lots of oil on it, 2 eggs, 2 bacon, 2 sausages and beans, with toast and an orange juice for 110thb. Very recommended.

Looks like a good deal bigwheelman. we at The Olde Bell do a similar breakfast with coffee AND orange juice (freshly Squeezed of course) 145 baht!

what time do you open?

we open at 9am sir. I'd leave it till 9.15 though! Punctuality is not top of the locals priority list as you are probably well aware!!

Incidentally, I'm not trying to do down the UN Irish, they do a fine breakfast as well!

Maybe we should try an auction to establish what the customers want to pay for what is offered. Or as an alternative, since various prices are being bandied around, potential customers could specify what they want and at what time, and what day of the week, so various establishments could give a quote for their cuisine

Be sure to note if 'meals on wheels' is available so those of us who are recluses can continue our chosen life style.

Looks like a good deal bigwheelman. we at The Olde Bell do a similar breakfast with coffee AND orange juice (freshly Squeezed of course) 145 baht!

what time do you open?

we open at 9am sir. I'd leave it till 9.15 though! Punctuality is not top of the locals priority list as you are probably well aware!!

Incidentally, I'm not trying to do down the UN Irish, they do a fine breakfast as well!

Haven`t tried you yet. Next time I`m in town, sometime next week, I will visit your restaurant for a meal, a few drinks and say hello.

Hope there is ample parking space for my bus?

Haven`t tried you yet. Next time I`m in town, sometime next week, I will visit your restaurant for a meal, a few drinks and say hello.

Hope there is ample parking space for my bus?

You'd be really fortunate to be able to park your bus near our pub -especially next week - Songkran - I'd leave your bus somewhere outside town - Tak, for example!!!

First of all, Black Pudding is not something you eat for breakfast but something that leaks out of your body just before you pass away. Secondly, a real breakfast consists of ham, bacon and sausage with eggs and some type of potato. There are no baked beans and there is no vegetable, tomato, on the plate. There is toast.

I don't agree with this statement as I quite enjoy English breakfasts, but I have to admit that it is a classic and I missed it before today. :)

I well take Butter is Better any day of the week on Chang Klan Road. :D

www.butterisbetterbakery.com

This is my current favorite as well. Most of their baked goods are as good as any decent bakery back in the old country (San Francisco) and they have a variety of items that you can't find anywhere else in town.

Butter is Better, really?

Franckly, I was disappointed with this new place. I know that it is not easy to start a restaurant, and the owner was very nice, but the dishes were too small and the level was still far from the previous Bake and Bite (or maybe it is just my tastes, don't know).

I will go again in a couple of weeks to check the evolution...

Butter is Better, really?

Franckly, I was disappointed with this new place. I know that it is not easy to start a restaurant, and the owner was very nice, but the dishes were too small and the level was still far from the previous Bake and Bite (or maybe it is just my tastes, don't know).

I will go again in a couple of weeks to check the evolution...

The portion are of the same size as Bake and Bite and the level is as high if not higher than Bake and Bite. IMHO.