Uk Proof Of Income Letter

I am getting the documents together to apply again for my Non Im. O visa base on retirement. I have gone this route for the past 5 years getting a letter from the British Embassy. In the past my gross income has been shown. I have just been informed that the Immigration Dept. now need to see the nett income after tax has been deducted.

Derek C: This could open a lot of complex 'cans of worms', starting with Immgration officers, often inept at their own job, now casting themselves in the role of tax inspectors, or expecting Embassy clerks to become so. The mind boggles. :)

Can you say who / where / when was the source of this statement?

Is it documented anywhere?

Hi, I applied by post in my usual way including my P60 and HM Revenue & Customs Tax calculation. I got a phone call from the British Embassy informing me that the letter would show nett income. They said that they had been informed by The Thai Immigration that this was what was required.

Indeed it is news, if correct. Not sure how the embassy is going to calculate/validate net income for transactions occuring in the current tax year, and upon which the applicant is relying for issue of embassy income letter.

The British Embassy require your P60 from the previous Tax year. This clearly shows Gross and Net income.

Very bad news if this is correct. I will need the Baht to return to 60+ per GBP or else consider changing to a Married extension. :)

This picture is not quite right, income is income and tax is tax, never shall the two be confused! If a person has income from UK employment that's one thing, there are forms such as P whatever that confirm gross and net pay and taxes paid - but if a person is not employed in the UK, perhaps not even resident there, a different set of rules apply. My income comes from a variety of sources, mostly from offshore banks and the like, all my accounts are paid gross - my expectation is that I will be able to (should I so chose) walk into the Embassy and show them original documents proving my income and receive the required letter of authority, tax plays no part in this scenario and the FCO is not a tax expert.

I went to the British consul in Chiang Mai yesterday to get my letter.I showed them bank statements for 3 months up to last December. They are only interested in monies coming into my account.They do not ask whether its tax paid or not.It is actually but they do not ask and they cannot tell.So best to only take bank statements fron overseas banks.They are very helpful and quick as usual.There was never any mention of me having to prove it was tax paid or wanting to see a P60...Hope this is helpful to someone. Next stop Mai Sai!

I went to the British consul in Chiang Mai yesterday to get my letter.I showed them bank statements for 3 months up to last December. They are only interested in monies coming into my account.They do not ask whether its tax paid or not.It is actually but they do not ask and they cannot tell.So best to only take bank statements fron overseas banks.They are very helpful and quick as usual.There was never any mention of me having to prove it was tax paid or wanting to see a P60...Hope this is helpful to someone. Next stop Mai Sai!

I think the point being made by the OP isnt so much whether he has to prove that its tax paid or not, but rather a case of it, at present (as far as we are led to believe) being a gross figure that gets shown, and is accepted by immigration.

In some cases this could be the difference between meeting the requirements for a visa, and falling short.

Penkoprod

For everyone's information. The Proof of Income letter from the Consular section of the British Embassy was delivered to my house at 17:30 today. The amount shown has been taken from my P60 and shows my annual pension AFTER TAX HAS BEEN DEDUCTED, not the gross amount.

I did provide them with my tax statement which shows other earnings from UK investements. I had been informed by my local Immigration Office that these earnings could be taken into account to qualify towards the 800,000 baht per year figure.

As the figure they quote in the letter is still adequate for the visa I'm OK. However, next year I will highlight all my income and total tax and ask for a letter to show the nett amount which would include investment income. I would be interested to hear if anyone else has a similar experience as I appear to be the first to not get a letter not showing gross income.

For everyone's information. The Proof of Income letter from the Consular section of the British Embassy was delivered to my house at 17:30 today. The amount shown has been taken from my P60 and shows my annual pension AFTER TAX HAS BEEN DEDUCTED, not the gross amount.

I did provide them with my tax statement which shows other earnings from UK investements. I had been informed by my local Immigration Office that these earnings could be taken into account to qualify towards the 800,000 baht per year figure.

As the figure they quote in the letter is still adequate for the visa I'm OK. However, next year I will highlight all my income and total tax and ask for a letter to show the nett amount which would include investment income. I would be interested to hear if anyone else has a similar experience as I appear to be the first to not get a letter not showing gross income.

of course you could now take your letter of inland revenue,showing your tax rebate,and then you are nearly back to square one.

It sounds as though all the Embassy is doing is recycling P60 information, hardly a challenging task but no doubt suitably charged for! But the main point of all of this is that ex pats typically don't have P60's each year so I wonder what the Embassy will do with that scenario.

It sounds as though all the Embassy is doing is recycling P60 information, hardly a challenging task but no doubt suitably charged for! But the main point of all of this is that ex pats typically don't have P60's each year so I wonder what the Embassy will do with that scenario.

if you have a uk pension or annuity you get a p60 each year,expat or not,uk goverment want there pound of flesh.and i would think no p60 no income letter. could be wrong, hope so.

Never ever produced a P60 for proof of income letter from the British Consulate, I provide letters from both pension providers showing gross pension and these have been accepted every year up until now! Will see what happens this year!

The P60 angle is only one aspect of guaranteeing income and given that the minimum retirement visa age is 50 I suspect that p60's and pension income/annuity income is just a small slice of the picture that doesn't really apply to many people. For example, if an expat is below age 65, has savings/investments that derive income, there is simply no way that the Embassy can be expected to determine what income is gross, nett or potentially taxable - it's therefore a nonsense that the Embassy should even try on this front and a bigger nonsense that the Immigration authorities should expect them to even try.