Taking Your Dvd Files Back To The West?

hughben

Just wondering if anyone has taken their copies (made by yourself) of their favourite TV shows, films, documentaries, music videos etc back through immigration in the UK or west for that matter and ever run into problems?

I have a load copied onto DVDs which I downloaded off the net.

Many of the files will probably never be released.

And I am wondering if I'll run into any problems?

Cheers.

I went back a few years ago, to the US, with about 500 Pantip DVDs. Immigration does not care and I just did not declare it at customs. Maybe I was lucky, but no worries. I just brought back about 150 as we are moving back here...again, no worries. They did xray my bags at the airport here, but I guess they were looking for something else....

I've never had any problems taking them back to the UK. If I take a quantity (say more than 10) I usually wrap them up as a present with gift wrap - pretty unlikely any customs official will open it unless they are really convinced you are carrying something illegal.

If you are totally paranoid you could copy the DVDs onto your computer as DVD image files (almost all DVD copy programs can do this). As your DVDs are copies you made yourself any DVD image file you make can be burnt back to a new DVD at the exact same quality/image. You can then leave your DVDs behind and then take just the computer files. Or take the DVDs back and leave the computer files here, and if you lose the DVDs you have a backup on your PC.