Khao Thom - Boiled Rice Soup

tutsiwarrior

some years ago on thaivisa there was a discussion regarding the above...now that we've moved on to a more mature, enlightened constituency let us raise the discussion again...

I have just finished observing my MiL preparing an excellent soup, but, because I had suggested it, she went overboard with the ingredients...tastes marvelous none the less...

ye get cooked rice from the rice cooker an' put it inna pot with water to cover and let simmer...

then chop up your ingredients...I like minced chicken or pork...lots ob garlic and heavy on the fresh ginger, green onions, etc...stir fry briefly...

then extract the cooking water from the rice...then do what? she lost me there...

return all ingredients to the pot and simmer...

you guys that know what I'm talkin' about let's hear your input; especially regarding the water transfer business...

I love simple tasty dishes and I could live on this stuff; one big pot to last 3 days...

soon...tutsi shall find himself inna bedouin wilderness again with only khao thom to sustain him...

please help :)

The Federal Hotel restaurant in Suk Soi 11 used to do a great Khao Thom Gung that a lady friend used to order for me after a hard night on the town, claiming it had invigorating properties.

I've found I like the packet versions available as rice porridge in supermarkets, you follow the instructions then add your own fresh produce... shrimp, spring/green onions and of course, fresh coriander. A raw egg is essential, just leave it to cook a little in the hot soup.

All the "real" soups I've seen made just involve boiling the rice to a mush, adding whatever you wish as it progresses. I think the Malays call it congee.

yeah...the Federal Hotel cafe does a nice burger...never tried the khao thom...

plain rice porridge is 'congee' and is distinct from khao tom...I had some at the dining area of the Swan Hotel in Harbin, China...they bring vinegar and other condiments but it don't taste the same...just plain rice...

it's the water transfer during preparation that I'm interested in...the soup inna pot and water heating in a wok on the next burner later to be combined with the soup...I went to take a leak and missed something...looked like the oil from the stir fried ingredients was combined with the water from the simmering rice, heated and added to the pot...

later, when I was playing with the grandson with his great grandmother in attendance my cheeky 15 y.o. niece had dug in and displayed a bowl of red soup from her added chile...I mumbled 'phet mak' to which she replied 'mak, mak!' she likes taking the piss outta her uncle tutsi...(and my bum is quite nice as well, ain't it?)

down, wanton, down... :)

All the "real" soups I've seen made just involve boiling the rice to a mush, adding whatever you wish as it progresses. I think the Malays call it congee.

That will be "chok" (โจ๊ก) or rice porridge....

The OP asked about rice soup "Kao Tom" (ข้าวต้ม) which translate to BOILED RICE

The secret for a good rice soup is to start with a good stock.

Simply add uncooked rice and bring it to boil, when almost done add the meat. cook until rice is soft, add seasoning (light soy sauce, pinch of sugar) and lift the dish with spring onions, coriander and white ground pepper just before serving.

you should wash the rice if you like the soup to be less starchy,,,,

voila.

I know that some will swear of using cooked rice and boiling it again in the stock. there is no advantage using cooked rice over uncooked rice from the flavor, texture and cooking chemistry aspects of the dish.

^yeah...this addresses the query that I had regarding the addition later on of what I thought was water to the pot...the water mixture had an oily consistency indicating that a broth was being prepared but in this case added to the pot later on in the cooking process...

unfortunately I didn't catch the details as I needed the toilet and wanted to make meself another drink...I'll haveta pay closer attention the next time the MiL gets down to business...

the step-daughter makes a respectable khao thom but she has recently quarreled with her mother and resides temporarily in parts unknown...

Every time I visit BKK, I often go to Bali Spa @ Chaophya Park hotel/ Sutthisan-Ratchadaphisek area which I notice there's Kao Tom restaurant on the 1st floor which many Thais frequent there, so I assume it must be good ( or cheap?).

chaophyapark.com/restaurant.asp?resid=4

Next time, maybe I'll check it out.

• 4 weeks later...

got it, got it, got it...8 am and drinkin' vodka with the MiL and she suggested khao thom...I watched carefully;

put cooked rice to simmer in the pot covered with water while the other ingredients are prepared...

stir fry minced pork with loadsa garlic and ginger then add to pot...

THEN add water to the wok to make a broth outta the pork fat...add to pot and simmer...this was the missing link...

let sit fer about 15 mins until the rice kernels get big then chop spring onions for garnish and add extra hot water to taste...

heavenly...if the MiL could speak english she would say 'better than sex, ay?'

the step daughter wandered past disheveled from sleep and disgusted with her grandma and step dad's early morning debauchery but she shure did like the khao thom...the grandson is keen on khao thom just like his grandad and great grandma...