New Rod Time - Sea Fishing

quiksilva

Hi, so in a few months time I have booked myself on the first of the year's charter boat trips (I hope to do 4/5 this year), usually in the Gulf as I live and work in Bangkok. We typically go after King Mackerel, Cobia, Dorado, and if lucky the odd Sail etc.

My birthday is coming up too so I am going to treat myself to a new boat rod (or two) but cant quite decide what to go for.

I have a half decent multiplier (an Okuma 45-L) which I'm going to respool with PowerPro Braided line (probably 65lb) with this new monocarbon leader material I have read so much about which is supposed to be very resistant to abrasion (we fish wrecks and reefs so that's important to me)

I also have two fixed spool Shimano Baitrunner 6500Bs, currently spooled with 20lb mono, but one of which I may fill with braid and new leader.

The point is I don't have a stand up rod yet, and I definitely want one.

The trouble is I have a set budget in mind for the rod (s) i.e. THB 6000 (slighlty flexible) but have been thinking of making use of one of a braid filled baitrunner and getting a new jigging rod.

I have seen a Daiwa Saltiga jigging rod for THB 4600 and an Okuma conventional stand up rod for THB 1400 and am thinking of going for that...so I can throw some live bait out on the stand up and use my downtime jigging (which I have never done before!)

BUT should I even take my Baitrunner Jigging on the ocean? Its a great reel that I dont use much and I have a spare for freshwater, or should I just put my budget towards a better Standup rod, like say a Penn Senator or similar. (all of which I have found at parknum fishing)

Oh and to add to the fun factor I have to be able to buy it here..

What do you think?

Really depends on how "serious" you are into jigging but I guess the bait runners would suffice . The bait runners, penn spinfishers and daiwa bg reels were THE reels to go for 10 yrs ago when the trend was in its infancy years. As long as you dont mess a round with the drags too much it should be fine.

Are there jigging spots at all in the Gulf?

Btw which Saltiga model is it thats retailing for 4600thb? Or have you mistaken it for the Catalina line up?

No its a Saltiga, at parknumfishing (google their name for their website), I went to deepest darkest Samut Prakarn last week and held it the other day (could not get over how light these things are, tech really has moved on!)

I am looking at one of these and probably opting for the heavier version.

Model Type Action Lenght (f) PE Lure (g) Pieces Price

SA-JG511HFB เบท H 5' 11" 3-6 270-330 1 4600

SA-JG511MFS สปิน M 5' 11" 3-6 210-300 1 4600

I have never tried Jigging before but when I used to go out (5/6 years ago) we used to visit wrecks and reefs, and whilst the water is not that deep (20m-30m) the current can be strong. I'm told that Jigging works well here too.

I think it'll probably do for a bit of Dorado and Spanish Mackerel action too.

See review here

I have all but decided on both the Okuma stand up and the Saltiga jigging rod, now and whilst the 6500b's are a bit old now, they are in good condition and I think they are good enough for my needs, although I may upgrade if I manage to get my targeted 4/5 trips in this year

Edited by quiksilva

ok its the export models, the saltiga rods which i'm more familiar with are the JDMs.

Cant advise on the okuma's as i never really paid much attention to them before.

Nothing much new from the manufacturers at the japan show this year anyway, maybe a good time to try out jigging and decide on what tackle to suit your area!Happy shopping! :)

Fishing in the 20-30 meter depth range is quite shallow for GOT mahi. Shallowest I saw them is 35 meters. Also with average size of a kilo or 2 or 3 that rod is looking way too heavy. Mackerel averaging from 5 to 10 kilos and apart from the initial run should not give too much trouble on some lighter tackle.

I used to use a Daiwa BG20 for jigging macks and never got close to getting spooled. After treating myself to a Daiwa Saltiga spinning reel 4 months ago I haven't had a single bite since. It surely does wind in nice and smooth though. Very fast rate of retrieve also.

Some useable setups for fishing the gulf could be a fairly soft 6 foot boat rod with a Shimano Tld15 spooled with 30lb test for mack and bills, and quite a light spinning rod with a Daiwa Crossfire 4000(maybe spooled with 20lb braid?) for spinning for the mahi and macks. That reel only costs about 1000baht and works very well. On my boat we have accidentally hooked 2 small marlin and landed them on that small reel. It is a bit loose now but still using it daily. Bargain!

Fot fishing the bottom near wrecks then the heavier gear will pay off to stop any fish getting into the wreck and busting you off. Seems to me that whatever gear you scale up too, the initial run of as big snapper or grouper is unstoppable and breaking the line by hand can be a pain.

Interested to know what sort of fishing you get close to Bkk in the gulf?

Oh its not that close to Bangkok I usually charter a boat on a two day live aboard excursion to the middle of the gulf of Thailand out of Bang Sare to about half way between Pattaya and Hua Hin (well a bit South) (my depth range may well be off I haven't been out for over 6 years!!)

When I did go out we got into decent Mahi mahi, King mackerel, Cobia, Snapper, Grouper, Trevally, Big barracuda and more rarely the odd Sailfish, and even a Marlin (once and no we didnt land it, it nearly blew our reel up, we had to cut the line before it spooled us!! (GREAT FUN!).

Fish typically dont tend to be that all big Cobia up to 20kgs I think is the best we have had (except for the marlin and sails) but its good action.

I would love to get out in the big stuff some day mind.. but that'll mean a trip to Phuket ..perhaps later in the year...

I guess I got the idea of getting that Jigging rod, because I have these two baitrunners and only really use one and wanted to put it to good use..so definitely dont want another reel right now, just a new rod that will be useful on the boat (or even perhaps as a second rod for hauling in catfish, when I go freshwater).

Tackle is one of the best bits about fishing.. just a shame I haven't been in touch with the scene for such a long time, so lots to catch up on (any pointers most gratefully received!)

Edited by quiksilva

Thanks mate, well I finally have my new toys in hand... in the end I ended up going for a Shimano Backbone Elite 15kg Roller Tip rod

http://www.7seasproshop.com/product/shiman..._backbone_elite

and a light jigging rod from the same place (dont know the name, its korean, seems perfectly ok, as a second rod)

The guys at the shop reckon speed jigging is a waste of time in Gulf of Thailand, they reckon just stick with regular slow jig if you must jig at all. They said it might be better in the Andaman Sea.

As for the South, I'd like to to get out on a live aboard on the Andaman sometime and perhaps towards the end of the year, as the season is almost gone now.

It sure is, bloody shame my charter isn't until first weekend of April.... I dont know why I do these things to myself.. nice shiny toys in hand and cant play with them for a month... oh well the Blue Planet, Robson Green's Extreme Fishing and my subscription to Sports Fishing will have to suffice for the time being..