Was Bound To Happen

monty

Probably to be expected :D:D:D

2nd road has just had a resurfacing, shiny new black top....

Lasted a couple of weeks and now they are making some very nice huge holes in it again :o

The two I saw are at the South Pattaya junction, I tought they were only going to put the beach road cables underground, but it seems to be the same team and machinery used on beach road digging up second road now...

Oh well

This is fairly typical of local authorities and service providers world-wide.

What is not typical is the disaster that is the re-laying of new tiling on the footpaths of Pattaya Tai. The old ones were ripped up for the entire length of the road at the start of the year - high season for tourists. They contractor then laid some sand bedding and went to sleep until last month.

The sand bedding was compacted in small paths where all the pedestrians had walked in each others' footsteps, otherwise sloping every which way.

Now along comes the paving tile layer and does precisely that. Lays tiles. No levelling and compaction of the sand bed, no height adjustment.

And I am used to using a plate compacter for that, then laying the tiles, cutting round the manholes, laying a couple of centi's of sand over the top and using the plate compacter again to seat everything firmly in place.

And only ripping up / re-laying a couple of hundred square metres at a time - not a mile-long street on both sides.

Perfectly good paving has been wasted by being laid by complete know-nothing failed rice farmers (and that's the supervision). In less than six months these paviors will be sticking up at the corners, tripping and injuring anyone daft enough to try to walk on them. As bad, or worse than before.

All it needs is a competent, experienced engineer in the public works department, who has the authority (and courage) to make the contractors work properly. As it is the work is undertaken by a 'connected' contractor who doesn't give a flying monkey's if the work is done well, or even done at all.

Premier Tourist Resort??

Don't make me laugh.

Pathetic third world corruption in plain view.

What is not typical is the disaster that is the re-laying of new tiling on the footpaths of Pattaya Tai

Everyone ( including Thai ) I have spoken to agrees its a disaster, they recon the money was allocated so it had to be spent. Then ooops all the money's spent we can't continue with the project untill new funds are allocated. :D

What's worse is that those foot paths where only put down about 2 years ago, now they have been dug up again...... :o

This is fairly typical of local authorities and service providers world-wide.

What is not typical is the disaster that is the re-laying of new tiling on the footpaths of Pattaya Tai. The old ones were ripped up for the entire length of the road at the start of the year - high season for tourists. They contractor then laid some sand bedding and went to sleep until last month.

The sand bedding was compacted in small paths where all the pedestrians had walked in each others' footsteps, otherwise sloping every which way.

Now along comes the paving tile layer and does precisely that. Lays tiles. No levelling and compaction of the sand bed, no height adjustment.

And I am used to using a plate compacter for that, then laying the tiles, cutting round the manholes, laying a couple of centi's of sand over the top and using the plate compacter again to seat everything firmly in place.

And only ripping up / re-laying a couple of hundred square metres at a time - not a mile-long street on both sides.

Perfectly good paving has been wasted by being laid by complete know-nothing failed rice farmers (and that's the supervision). In less than six months these paviors will be sticking up at the corners, tripping and injuring anyone daft enough to try to walk on them. As bad, or worse than before.

All it needs is a competent, experienced engineer in the public works department, who has the authority (and courage) to make the contractors work properly. As it is the work is undertaken by a 'connected' contractor who doesn't give a flying monkey's if the work is done well, or even done at all.

Premier Tourist Resort??

Don't make me laugh.

Pathetic third world corruption in plain view.

Yes, it seems as if they have managed to find a way to tarnish the reputation of pattaya yet further.

It's almost ingenious, and for those -like myself- who have had a serious accident there this year because of the work going on- a f***-ing pain up the arse.