Rip Off After Minor Traffic Accident

HansO43

Most of the time there is more to these stories than told intitially, especially with second hand stories.

Secondly: if this happens to you, you're being ripped of by a group of people. Of course you call the police straight away. Chalong police is good with these things IMO.

Yes, I agree that he's getting ripped off by a "group" of people.

"Call the police straight away" ..."Chalong police is good with these things"...

Please inform us as to your personal experiences or information that this advice is based upon? First-hand stories only please... 

Yes, i have first hand experience where after hitting a thai motorbike with my car the bikerider was blamed. He had to pay 3000 baht a month out of his 7000 baht salary for 4 months to pay for the damage to my car.

After the accident i called chalong police and my car insurance.

I have had accidents with motorbikes over the years in 3 different cars. In the first my car was barely a few days old when a Canadian smashed along the side. He apologised profusely saying he wast hinking about his next drink at the bar, offered to pay & I took him to Patong hosptal as his arm was slashed open. A couple of days later him & I went to the panelbeaters & he gave me the money based on the quote so no police or insurance involved.

2nd one was in Phuket Town where a sidecart swerved across the road & smashed the side of my car. Thai guy apologised & offered me the use of his old family car while mine was being repaired but said he had no money to pay for damages. Police & insurance turned up with policeman asking if it was OK to let my insurance cover the cost of damage to my car which the insurance guy already agreeed to. I said yes & the policeman left.

3rd one was in Kathu, I indicated to turn right & as I was making the turn a motorbike crashed into the right side as he was overtaking from behind. Police & insurance turned up & I left shortly thereafter to let them sort it out.

Gf just arrived home after seeing the result of a horrible accident near TOT on Chao Fa West. One dead motorcyclist with passenger not looking so good. She did not see if any other vehicle was involved but must have been as motorbike was smashed up badly. Maybe it was a hit and run.

Edited by Valentine

Today my waterproof camera wasn't as waterproof as it was supposed to be and drowned, and as I mentioned in another thread, I was served a San miguel light instead of a normal San miguel. A very bad day in Woohoo world.

Anyway, how was I supposed to react to a ridiculous comment such as "Are there no Thai people with a sense of shame at these disgusting set ups" Did nothing about that sentence strike you as being wrong when you read it??

React any way you like. You appear to have a monoply on wisdom.

Wisdom has nothing to do with it. I'm no wiser than the next guy, and I'll happily admit, probably much less so. Common sense and logic however, I believe are just as important, and I try to do the best I can at both.

(I honestly believe that common sense should be taught in school in some way)

Implying that a whole race of people are shameless, apart from being fairly offensive, undoubtedly falls in to the illogical category. Which then set of alarm bells in my brain and lead me to post a sarcastic reply.

Unlike others, I very rarely, if ever, feel the need to be randomly rude to people. There is normally a reason that has lead me to feel justified in making the comments I do, and I can assure you a feeling of intellectual superiority isn't one of them.

If you have an argument, as to why what you said wasn't illogical, then I would be interested to hear it.

Wisdom has nothing to do with it. I'm no wiser than the next guy, and I'll happily admit, probably much less so. Common sense and logic however, I believe are just as important, and I try to do the best I can at both.

Implying that a whole race of people are shameless, apart from being fairly offensive, undoubtedly falls in to the illogical category. Which then set of alarm bells in my brain and lead me to post a sarcastic reply.

Unlike others, I very rarely, if ever, feel the need to be randomly rude to people. There is normally a reason that has lead me to feel justified in making the comments I do, and I can assure you a feeling of intellectual superiority isn't one of them.

If you have an argument, as to why what you said wasn't illogical, then I would be interested to hear it.

I could see no implications in Mr Salty’s sentence as it was mere rhetorical frippery. Not a difficult concept to grasp. I too look forward to his reply.

In the sad & not so minor accident in which two young men were killed when they collided on Chao Fa East yesterday, I wonder how it will be handled in terms of compensation if the families wish to pursue it.

I agree and I hope the only surviving witness pulls through his injuries and is able to give his account of what happened. Whatever the Somchai investigation finds may or may not have caused the accident will just be going through the motions and sadly there’s nowt anybody can do about it. See how it pans out. 22 years is no age...sigh... :)

My reference was to Thais who participate in these setups. Of course I was not implying that the entire Thai race are shameless. Does everyone have to specifically state they are not referring to the entire Thai race when they criticize some Thais? You seem to be the only one who has got his knickers in a knot. Hopefully this will turn off the alarm bells in your brain and you will enjoy a good night's sleep.

Are there no Thai people with a sense of shame at these disgusting set ups. :)

"My reference was to Thais who participate in these setups. Of course I was not implying that the entire Thai race are shameless. "

Well, looking at both your quotes you are trying to wiggle yourself out of something you can't get out off.

One time an elderly Thai and his son crashed into my truck at a junction near mae nam Samui , (slow speed so no one hurt).

A dent in my door and a bruised ego for the Thai, turned out he had no brakes at all.

The son went crazy but soon calmed down by us not reacting, outcome I took the bike to nearby garage and fixed his brakes 300 bht.

I now see the older guy quite regulary, he has helped loads with connections to engineering companies that I needed and his extended family in general.

Turns out he is an original samui resident, that just hasnt kept up with all the change hence the old broken farm bike.