Microsoft Learns From Thai Immigration!

JSixpack

I think Apple is far worse than MS for tying their users to Apple software and applications yet nobody complains about them. I have also found the people who complain about XP and Vista and MS in general always getting viruses are the very ones who are running prated software with updates switched off and so do no get the needed updates. I have always found if you have the automatic updates on then you are getting the best protection and so have a well running system. 2 1/2 years running Vista ultimate and trouble free computing. I also have the full back up of MS if needed for free.

I have also found the people who complain about XP and Vista and MS in general always getting viruses are the very ones who are running prated software with updates switched off and so do no get the needed updates.

Quite true. I'm one of 'em.

My last two PC's bought at 'reputable' computer shops here in our university town came replete with pirated software including the O/S. Twice a year I have to reformat the hard drive and reinstall the O/S just to keep ahead of the virus mill. Too lazy and too cheap to install an authorized version, I pay the price. Maybe I should join a support group. :)

I will admit that being rather green in terms of purchasing my own computers (always previously supplied by work) I was surprised when my first PC bought in Thailand, a P4 in 2005, didn't have exactly what I thought I would get with it. Out of the box I expected an OS and Office (laughable now but not then). I thought the prices for each real one abhorrent.

I still find the prices OTT, severely so. How on earth you can buy a computer for 6k and then be expected to pay another 5k or so for Win 7 is beyond comprehension. It is no wonder fakes are routine.

I can get Win 7 Pro legitimate in the UK for Bt1750 but I cannot risk getting it installed on some laptop or PC in Thailand because I am not there and so I am faced with paying 5k for a Thai copy or Bt1900 for a Win 7 starter just to get her online. (I need Windows).

The options are so highly priced that if I was there I'd be running copies as well.