Suzuki Sling '92 (buying And Need Advice)

Axelg

HI all,

I am in the process of buying Suzuki Slingshot from 1992 (yeah its an older bike but my budget is limited).

The bike's 'fairing' has been changed to look more like a recent one. I used to drive a CBR400RR and now this will be 1100cc will I feel a lot of difference? Things I should be careful about? I would be driving in Bangkok only so no long distances.

As far as I know and see the previous owner (Thai) took very good care of the bike. He will change the tires (2nd hand ones but fairly new), change the oil and transfer the papers to my name. Price is 130.000 THB.

One thing that worries me is that he has modified the gauges and it only has the RPM gauge... He will give me the speedometer as well and he has guaranteed me it still works... he removed it because he wanted to have only 1 centralized dial... My question is, can I buy an aftermarket digital gauge and have it installed afterwards? or would that be too difficult to do?

Any experience and of feedback more then welcome!

post-21385-1266219121_thumb.jpg

post-21385-1266219213_thumb.jpg

post-21385-1266219306_thumb.jpg

post-21385-1266219430_thumb.jpg

post-21385-1266219461_thumb.jpg

Wow very nice looking bike. I especially like the flat black and carbon fiber. Need a new chain obviously.

FYI if he took off the speedo it likely means he races it.

With these older bikes, and I can't stress this enough, be absolutely sure that he goes to the Land Transport Department with you when changing the name and that you make it his responsibility to cover any unexpected fees that always seem to come up with these older bikes. Also, there may be an extra step and small fee involved to change the color in the book if it needed it and he hadn't already.

More here on buying older bikes:http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Important-Buy-Big-Bike-t337654.html

Edited by ScubaBuddha

Well he didnt oil the chain. its rusty as hel_l. Me i would walk away from that FAST its gonna cost ya LOADS.

Its been Thaid and that aint a good thing. I know i've had 3 bikes that have been Thaid, still finding the faults on the current one :)

A number of things spring to mind.

1) pod filters , did he rejet the carbs. 2) have you checked the green book to match the numbers and checked the vin on the net so it matches the year of the bike. 3)have you taken the fairing off and checked the wiring and fuel hoses. There loads more but personally just looking at it i would walk away. especially when you can get a nearly new er6 for not a lot more (about 190thou up) and that will have warranty, cheap parts and service.

I agree 100% with ThaiCBR, if you buy a Thai pre-owned big bike you need to be ready for everything. And the things you will find would be amazing ... I touched a few of Thai pre-owned motorcycles and words like chewing-gum, super-glue, and a lot of stuff I could not describe if I wanted to where used for repairs on the bikes.

When a Thai owner replaced the fairing, and not offers you to stock fairing as part of the sale it's very likely that the bike has touched the tarmac... 130,000 Baht is a big amount of money for a motorcycle from 1992.

Surely I would not invest 130,000 Baht on a motorcycle if I not absolute sure it is worth the money... Looking at your pictures already give me the feeling it has problems. How is the clutch? Getting a new clutch for this bike would be close to having a nightmare...

Is that rust on the chain? Like tenants applying for an apartment pretending to be neat freaks, this seller SAYS he takes good care of his bike.

Lots of horror stories about botched jobs, so have a big bike mechanic look it over and be it to knock down the price. Another concern would be the insurability of this bike. But then I'm used to German inspections - even new tires might need to be entered in the green book. Or else - you may not have insurance when you need it.

A raced supersports bike? Hope you have very deep pockets! And for commuting, a light 250 cc enduro or motard bike might be better and more fun. Or a ninja 250 if you like sports bikes.

If you are set on this model, check out the other places where they are sold. I came across a nice 1991 for 99,000.

Ride on,

Chris

Yes, this bike will be much different that your cbr400. Quite a small bike as well considering the size of the engine, but tons more power approaching the "there cant be much more power than this" bike. I have never driven one, but I wish there were newer models to come across and I'd like to get one. They look sweet, and have a very small frame considering the engine size... But I would never get a bike in Thailand of that year. I would just expect to have to take it to the mechanic monthly at least to fix something, especially if using it as a regular commuter.

Also, the price seems quite high for that year. You can come across as sorts of bikes in the 150k range that are 600-1000cc and year around 2000. Twice as old as a year of 2001. My 2001 gsxr 750 has never given any problems (except for the generator coil once, replaced it and no problems since) and never stalled on me once, and I have used it every day for like 5 months, putting 6000kms on it.

I was at least expecting a little bit of problem with the gsxr when buying it just because of the year and the country, espesically after previously owning a 92vfr and having so many problems with it. But on the gsxr I am the 3rd owner in Thailand, and I bought it from a foreigner. Suppose I got a good deal? But I guess its not just on the year and the country its in, it's on exactly who owned it, and I have also met Thais that appeared very caring of their bike as well.

You could always get lucky, but I wouldn't put my luck on this bike.

But the slingshot seems like quite a wicked bike. I have seen many others for lower prices as well.

Take it to a mechanic that you know should be honest with you and get him to check it out with you.

Thing is, I owned a CBR 400 from '92 before (with the original fairing). The bike was fine (except I had the spark plugs changed for new ones). I bought it from a guy who owns a small shop on Ladprao 80... he's quite known among Thais. (bought it for 60.000 THB i think about 3 years ago). The only problem it had was when it rained the bike would shut down. (bad wiring). I had them move the 'fuse box to under the fairing which fixed the problem.

Now this bike, I am very well off with the owner of www.118bikes.com (he bought one of my pups when my dog had pups.) he said the bike is fine... a little expensive but ok.

The serials in the book are the same as on the bike, we will go to the ministry together for the transfer (actually i am putting the bike on the wife name so I dont have to go there...)

I have also compared other bikes from same make and year on motorcy.com (thai motorcycle website) where they were around the same price range (if not even a bit more expensive). The chain in the picture and the chain in real life are different... he must have changed it...

I have seen the bike without fairing and all the electrical and tubing seemed fine. I had my friend from 118bikes have a look at it as well. He said same thing.... for 130.000 i could buy another bike that was not that old... but if i really liked this one then should be ok. I have found cheaper GSX than that one but they were from before '90.

I have testdriven the bike. clutch, brake and springs seemed fine.

Anyway i keep you guys posted

Hi Axelg, what you need is a Veypor unit on your new ride.

post-63954-1266328736.jpg

They are only a third of the price of a Digitek.

Or you could spend a little more and get the VR2.

Don't know if there is a Bangkok agent.....but you could internet order for mail elivery from Canada.

Axel, there is that GSX on Bahtsold.com for under 100,000 with green book. check it out (no affiliation with the seller). a knackered high tech engine can cost big bucks when things go wrong. I would insist on a compression test before proceeding. :)

I also dont want to know how many kms or really on it, and Suzuki engines, especially when raced where never the ones that last a long time...

I beg to differ, from the early GS, GSX and the air/oil cooled GSXR, Suzuki engines have always been very reliable. Some people from the UK may remember Steve Burns and his various bored out, turbo-charged Spondon Suzukis. The man and his bikes were a legend.

I also dont want to know how many kms or really on it, and Suzuki engines, especially when raced where never the ones that last a long time...

I beg to differ, from the early GS, GSX and the air/oil cooled GSXR, Suzuki engines have always been very reliable. Some people from the UK may remember Steve Burns and his various bored out, turbo-charged Spondon Suzukis. The man and his bikes were a legend.

But Tubber. Steve Burns was a mechanic with skills that far exceed the vast majority of Thai mechanics. I think this is kinda what they mean. I had a bike that was renowned for giving good miles but at 47thou it needed rebuilding. the thai mech made the head gasket out of gasket material (even thou i supplied a new original Honda gasket) because he did not believe i gave him the correct one. result head gasket blew within 200km. 2nd rebuild lasted 1,000km. then 2nd hand engine from japan. oh and even on the 2nd build he STILL did not use the gasket i got but made one out of ally plate. jeeeeeeezee

Edited by thaicbr

Wow very nice looking bike. I especially like the flat black and carbon fiber. Need a new chain obviously.

FYI if he took off the speedo it likely means he races it.

With these older bikes, and I can't stress this enough, be absolutely sure that he goes to the Land Transport Department with you when changing the name and that you make it his responsibility to cover any unexpected fees that always seem to come up with these older bikes. Also, there may be an extra step and small fee involved to change the color in the book if it needed it and he hadn't already.

More here on buying older bikes:http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Important-Buy-Big-Bike-t337654.html

Please be careful, my alarm system went on, when I’ve read this. The chain looks like this guy never made any service, which indicates that it might have huge problems……….

Well, first the green book, you’ll have to make sure (best at the Transportation Department) if everything is fine with the bike and book. Did he pay tax, insurance, and tickets to the cops because of speeding?

To be perfectly honest with you the chain says it all, better look for another bike. If you still want to buy it please make a compression test, it shows you much about the engine. Please be aware that loud bearings become quite if you put some thick shit in...But not long and you’ll need another engine.

Be sure that the engine is hot when you make your test drive, listen to any knocking noises… (Cam, camshaft, and so on. Parts are very expensive, same thing like in other countries. Be careful……

But Tubber. Steve Burns was a mechanic with skills that far exceed the vast majority of Thai mechanics. I think this is kinda what they mean. I had a bike that was renowned for giving good miles but at 47thou it needed rebuilding. the thai mech made the head gasket out of gasket material (even thou i supplied a new original Honda gasket) because he did not believe i gave him the correct one. result head gasket blew within 200km. 2nd rebuild lasted 1,000km. then 2nd hand engine from japan. oh and even on the 2nd build he STILL did not use the gasket i got but made one out of ally plate. jeeeeeeezee

I agree with you entirely but the part I was referring to was "and Suzuki engines, especially when raced where never the ones that last a long time...". Suzuki engines have long had a reputation for reliability, going back to the original GS, obviously if they aren't maintained correctly they aren't going to last. Only way to do it is to do it yourself at least you know it has been done correctly.

Don't know if there is a Bangkok agent.....but you could internet order for mail elivery from Canada.

You could try Kuhn Boyd at Chicane Motorcycles Bangkok. I understand that he is running aftermaket gear on his race Ducati.

Just an idea.

• 2 weeks later...

You could try Kuhn Boyd at Chicane Motorcycles Bangkok. I understand that he is running aftermaket gear on his race Ducati.

Just an idea.

I cannot find any information about 'Kuhn Boyd at Chicane Motorcycles Bangkok' .... any indication?

Just an idea.

I cannot find any information about 'Kuhn Boyd at Chicane Motorcycles Bangkok' .... any indication?

I made a mistake, its Kuhn Boy..no y in his name.

I asked some buddies to give me some info, below are directions and a phone number:

Lad Phrao 64/4 turn left into the Soi going towards Central Lad Phrao then

right at 7-11 about 50m on the right at 7-11 about 100m on right.

GSM:+66892044191