Motorbikes And Ipods/music

BillR

Maybe has been discussed, I gave this a whirl today, put on my ipod/music (headphones) and drove my motorbike as a test to prove how insane this is. Scary to say the least. My gf does this routinely as do many motorists. Tried explaining it is dangerous followed by a blank look. One more thing to look out for I suppose :)

Nothing wrong with listening to music while riding down the highway. Anyone who can hear a car coming up behind them over the wind noise in their helmet must have dam_n good hearing. Anyone who's first clue that a car is behind them comes from hearing it is not paying enough attention to their mirrors. Anyone who can't hear a siren or horn over the noise of their music has it turned up too loud. It is also recomended that motorcyclists wear hearing protection. A pair of comfortable in-ear headphones playing music at a reasonable volume is better for your ears than riding with no ear plugs.

Nothing wrong with listening to music while riding down the highway. Anyone who can hear a car coming up behind them over the wind noise in their helmet must have dam_n good hearing. Anyone who's first clue that a car is behind them comes from hearing it is not paying enough attention to their mirrors. Anyone who can't hear a siren or horn over the noise of their music has it turned up too loud. It is also recomended that motorcyclists wear hearing protection. A pair of comfortable in-ear headphones playing music at a reasonable volume is better for your ears than riding with no ear plugs.

ITs not the sound only its the loss of concentration.. i would never use it.

I road cycle round Phuket, hearing just as important as visuals for my own protection, yet have seen cyclists wearing the 'full enclosure' headphones ie not the 'bud' type. A short life-span predicted.

But back to motorbikes:

Have enough life-threatening occasions while riding the scooter as it is, wouldn't want to increase the risk by having music under my helmet too.

Haven't quite got the words for this, but once had it explained to me using the example of if you are driving a car, stressed, kids in the back bickering, lots of other traffic etc, and have to really concentrate on your driving - how many people turn down/off the car stereo?

As someone mentioned, surely it is the same as listening to the stereo in your car - what can you not hear that you should be able to hear?

I listen to my iPod inside my helmet, and it actually prevents me from going over 60 km/h - any faster and the wind noise is too great. If I increase the volume, I find I am deafened when pulling up to traffic lights!

Edited by Jim's_a_Thai_Fox

Dunno--- I've seen a few guys have near-wrecks because they were fiddling with their iPod/GPS/Phone/etc. while riding... Anything that can distract you should be avoided IMO. Secret to a long life on two wheels is 100% concentration. Just my two satang :)

Agreed, if you want to fiddle, pull over and stop. That is what play lists are for. I actually prefer earplugs.

Agreed, if you want to fiddle, pull over and stop. That is what play lists are for. I actually prefer earplugs.

Did you see that sad story about the guy who pulled over on his Harley to answer the phone and lost his foot in a hit and run? Phuket I think- terrible stuff!

I don't see the problem. Loads of guys wear ear plugs so what's the difference? I wouldn't do it in the city but on long stretches of highway I listen to music and watch my mirrors, I can't hear cars approaching either way due to engine and wind noise. It doesn't stop me concentrating - in fact I'd say it helps, keeps me more alert.

Maybe a new thread is needed: what do you do under your helmet while riding? I often listen to music on long rides, although on one of my bikes I like listening to the music of the engine. I have also been known to sing loudly, with or without MP3 accompaniment, and solve most of the worlds major problems in my head. I'd say it's near impossible to give 100% concentration to riding on a long trip, in fact it's likely that by trying to do so you'd go into a self hypnotic state and actually be far worse off than simply paying reasonable attention to the road ahead, your mirrors and any possible approaching hazards.

I'm one of those evil basterds that wears his Sure SE420 while riding. And as mentioned, at any decent speed, even sans music you really don't hear that much---to reiterate, relying on your sense of hearing is going to get you as dead as not swivling your head....(sorry for the rhyme).

Got me thinking how many people will play there car stereo loud, and yet never ride with music? Myself included, had a couple of scares well peddling with the tunes too loud. Yet with the single cylinder crowd I hung with ear plugs are common.

Plenty of factors to be taken into account, as it doesn’t seem cut and dry by people on both side of the fence;

Does music keep you focused or distracted?

What style, and fit, helmet do you use? (my Arai is already quite sound deadening)

Do you use high quality ear bud type headphones or big muffs with full ear coverage?

Volume of course; can you hear your bike over the tunes? (once was told 'if your music can barely be heard over 60 mph', as a good way to judge that the volume ain’t too high)

Can you listen with out the fiddling? (music level programs for mp3's, use em)

If it’s rap, disco, or folk you shouldn’t be riding….. :)

Riding conditions, heavy traffic or quiet country roads?

Can't you just be happy with the road and a little gas?

:D

Got me thinking how many people will play there car stereo loud, and yet never ride with music? Myself included, had a couple of scares well peddling with the tunes too loud. Yet with the single cylinder crowd I hung with ear plugs are common.

Plenty of factors to be taken into account, as it doesn’t seem cut and dry by people on both side of the fence;

Does music keep you focused or distracted?

What style, and fit, helmet do you use? (my Arai is already quite sound deadening)

Do you use high quality ear bud type headphones or big muffs with full ear coverage?

Volume of course; can you hear your bike over the tunes? (once was told 'if your music can barely be heard over 60 mph', as a good way to judge that the volume ain’t too high)

Can you listen with out the fiddling? (music level programs for mp3's, use em)

If it’s rap, disco, or folk you shouldn’t be riding….. :)

Riding conditions, heavy traffic or quiet country roads?

Can't you just be happy with the road and a little gas?

:D

Well I use in ear buds....however essentially all my riding is out in the sticks.

My question is this, at what speed is the road noise too loud anyways?