Renewing Us Passport Dates

sk1max

I have to renew my US passport before I apply for a new permit to stay, I will still have 6 months left on my passport but not long enough for the new stamp (need at least a year I believe). Does the new passport start from when you apply or from when the old one expires? Anyone have the answer? Cheers.

I have to renew my US passport before I apply for a new permit to stay, I will still have 6 months left on my passport but not long enough for the new stamp (need at least a year I believe). Does the new passport start from when you apply or from when the old one expires?

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun SK1Max,

Haven't been in the position you are in with a possible overlap (underlap ?) of expiry date of your US passport and whatever (we assume Thai) document it is you are referring to as the "stamp," but can share with you :

Applied for a new US passport in 2005 here in Chiang Mai a few years before its expiry because, even with pages-added-in, it was so full of visa stamps that we felt we were getting the "third degree" every time we went in and out of Thailand.

The new US passport came with a date of issue identical to the cancellation date stamped in the old US passport which had holes punched in the cover page and the first page, and the back cover.

Then, of course, we went to Chiang Mai Immigration, and went through the transfer of visa process which, at that time, was not too difficult : don't know if that process has changed, or not.

Hope that's useful information.

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

The new US passport came with a date of issue identical to the cancellation date stamped in the old US passport which had holes punched in the cover page and the first page, and the back cover.

Then, of course, we went to Chiang Mai Immigration, and went through the transfer of visa process which, at that time, was not too difficult : don't know if that process has changed, or not.

best, ~o:37;

Renewed my passport a year ago, the procedure was still the same, as you (plural) stated.