Lamphun Deaths

dingdongrb

Been awhile since I have visited the forum.

I looked around and didn't see any news or threads regarding the deaths that occurred in Lamphun last Saturday. Hasn't anyone heard of this? I don't know the exact details but what I have heard is that somewhere around 20 scooters were crashed into by a guy that had an accident down the road and was trying to run away from it. Then in the next intersection he apparently plowed into a pickup with his larger freight truck which was then pushed into the intersection where the scooters had the 'right of way'. I have heard that 7 to 11 folks on scooters had lost their lives. May they RIP.

It all occurred at the underpass there near Big C (hwy 11).

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if it was the same accident, but between Lamphun and Chiang Mai there was a big accident around 3:30, with a lot of ambulances when I passed but on my way to CM. It must have been several scooters, but not near an underpass or the Big C. The accident was on the road from CM to Lamphun.

Not sure if it was the same accident, but between Lamphun and Chiang Mai there was a big accident around 3:30, with a lot of ambulances when I passed but on my way to CM. It must have been several scooters, but not near an underpass or the Big C. The accident was on the road from CM to Lamphun.

I was told that this accident happened at around 8PM....One of the Operators at one of the nearby factories has a pretty gruesome video of the carnage cleanup.... Was not a pretty site.

Edited by dingdongrb

From my wife, who is a nurse at Lamphun Hospital, the vehicle was one of those double tandem trailer trucks. After trying to flee the first accident in his truck, he then caused the second accident under the overpass. He then tried to flee on foot, but was actually apprehended by the police sometime later. There were four dead, one of whom was a Lamphun Hospital nurse-aid.

From my wife, who is a nurse at Lamphun Hospital, the vehicle was one of those double tandem trailer trucks. After trying to flee the first accident in his truck, he then caused the second accident under the overpass. He then tried to flee on foot, but was actually apprehended by the police sometime later. There were four dead, one of whom was a Lamphun Hospital nurse-aid.

OK "only" four dead. The carnage is amazing, all right. I once saw a pickup truck run the red light at the Superhighway-Chang Puak intersection and plow into about 10 or more motorcycles. Champing at the bit, they took off when the light changed without looking and the pickup sent them flying through the air. Bodies and burning motorcycles all over the road. I couldn't really take in the scene very well. It seemed unreal, or at least surreal. I'll never forget it though.

It appears that the four deaths were those who were either DOA or died very shortly after arriving at the hospital, and this number has gone up since then. Then there were all those who were injured. Needless to say, this was a horrific accident. There are just too many people driving these big trucks who have absolutely no concept whatsoever of the destructive power under their control, and just don't care.

Edited by higgy88

OK "only" four dead. The carnage is amazing, all right. I once saw a pickup truck run the red light at the Superhighway-Chang Puak intersection and plow into about 10 or more motorcycles. Champing at the bit, they took off when the light changed without looking and the pickup sent them flying through the air. Bodies and burning motorcycles all over the road. I couldn't really take in the scene very well. It seemed unreal, or at least surreal. I'll never forget it though.

What do you mean 'OK "only" four dead. The carnage is amazing, all right'.

Is this a competition, the winner being the person who has witnessed the most killed in a traffic accident?

For example if it were a loved one or someone close to you that had been killed, would you than say, OK, only one person dead the carnage is amazing, all right.

*flame removed* and of course it`s a different story if the tragedy would have affected you personally.

Edited by sbk
no flaming please-sbk

Is this a competition, the winner being the person who has witnessed the most killed in a traffic accident?

For example if it were a loved one or someone close to you that had been killed, would you than say, OK, only one person dead the carnage is amazing, all right.

*flame removed* and of course it`s a different story if the tragedy would have affected you personally.

I'm sure what the poster meant was that originally it was reported as 12 killed..... and when it was stated 4, then , not that that was good, but much better than 12 dead....

Ease up a bit....

Don't be so critical...... none of us are perfect you know..... and try and feel what thinking people are trying to post before blasting them...

Is this a competition....?

I'm sure what the poster meant was that originally it was reported as 12 killed..... and when it was stated 4, then , not that that was good, but much better than 12 dead....Ease up a bit....

I was trying to be sarcastic, but not everyone gets that -- trying to highlight the magnitude of mayhem on the roads that people who live in Thailand come to accept.

Is this a competition....?

I'm sure what the poster meant was that originally it was reported as 12 killed..... and when it was stated 4, then , not that that was good, but much better than 12 dead....Ease up a bit....

I was trying to be sarcastic, but not everyone gets that -- trying to highlight the magnitude of mayhem on the roads that people who live in Thailand come to accept.

How can sarcasm be funny when people have died? or is it okay that only Thais died?

Oh my gosh. The magnitude of the tragedy and the recklessness of the truck driver is staggering, even for Thailand. Judging from driving behaviour, half of the people on Chiang Mai roads should probably have their license withdrawn permanently. The roads are truly insane.

Cheers, CMX

It's difficult to disagree with that, but after trips to cambodia and nepal, upon return to thailand the driving here seemed veritably SANE. It's all relative. I often hear about the mad driving in several countries.

Speed and running red lights are really the main culprits. It is noticeable in chiang mai however that the government are finally making efforts to educate people over driving.

I will say that the maddest driving i've seen in the kingdom was in isaan.

... snip ... I was trying to be sarcastic, but not everyone gets that -- trying to highlight the magnitude of mayhem on the roads that people who live in Thailand come to accept.

Sawasdee Khrup Khun Ferd54,

Just wanted to voice our opinion that your comment above was quite unfairly attacked by some of our "loose cannons of self-righteousness" rolling about the decks of the Good Ship "Chiang Mai Mid-Life Road-Kill."

You first post on this thread expressed your own memory of a similar bloody accident you'd seen yourself which affected you deeply : "I'll never forget it, though." Of course we assume that memory was painful, and that you responded with sympathy and concern to the news of this terrible event !

We are astounded that one of the people who laid into you posted the following single sentence on this thread : "I guess you can't rely too much on word of mouth in Thailand." Which was clearly a somewhat tongue-in-cheek, and slightly funny comment, on news that contradicted his own previous post.

"Sarcasm" might not have been the best choice of words here since it expresses "contemptuous humour," and comes from a Greek root referring to the "tearing of flesh," but we don't doubt that your heart is in the right place. And your motivation to remind us about the "magnitude of mayhem" on the roads : we're sure that comes from a good place in you, and we agree with you (as someone who's been a victim of that mayhem) : it's a good thing to keep talking about.

Whether you are riding on a bicycle, a motorcycle, or driving, or in, a car : if you forget that mayhem for one moment here : you are in danger.

To those who wish to use the death or misfortune of others as an excuse to vent their spleen by nit-picking on the posts of the others, by assuming the worst : we have nothing to say.

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

Condolences to the victims and the families/friends involved. The factual details may come out eventually but I will not hold my breath. To watch the motorcycles, group up in front of the pedestrian crossing/light waiting zone marked at intersections, jump the light in mass, make u turn, etc, while watching oncoming traffic speed up to make a light or just ignore same is mind boggling. This sounds like one of those times, with the errant truck and its herdsman (for lack of a better description) and other habits accepted here by the seemly majority of vehicle drivers, that Morphy's law was proven several fold.

... snip ... I was trying to be sarcastic, but not everyone gets that -- trying to highlight the magnitude of mayhem on the roads that people who live in Thailand come to accept.

Sawasdee Khrup Khun Ferd54,

Just wanted to voice our opinion that your comment above was quite unfairly attacked by some of our "loose cannons of self-righteousness" rolling about the decks of the Good Ship "Chiang Mai Mid-Life Road-Kill."

You first post on this thread expressed your own memory of a similar bloody accident you'd seen yourself which affected you deeply : "I'll never forget it, though." Of course we assume that memory was painful, and that you responded with sympathy and concern to the news of this terrible event !

We are astounded that one of the people who laid into you posted the following single sentence on this thread : "I guess you can't rely too much on word of mouth in Thailand." Which was clearly a somewhat tongue-in-cheek, and slightly funny comment, on news that contradicted his own previous post.

"Sarcasm" might not have been the best choice of words here since it expresses "contemptuous humour," and comes from a Greek root referring to the "tearing of flesh," but we don't doubt that your heart is in the right place. And your motivation to remind us about the "magnitude of mayhem" on the roads : we're sure that comes from a good place in you, and we agree with you (as someone who's been a victim of that mayhem) : it's a good thing to keep talking about.

Whether you are riding on a bicycle, a motorcycle, or driving, or in, a car : if you forget that mayhem for one moment here : you are in danger.

To those who wish to use the death or misfortune of others as an excuse to vent their spleen by nit-picking on the posts of the others, by assuming the worst : we have nothing to say.

best, ~o:37;

My comments where not tongue in cheek at all, I was going on local information that was wrong, so next time I will be more careful about this kind of information.

Perhaps you should take this advise.

Edited by garyh

Oh my gosh. The magnitude of the tragedy and the recklessness of the truck driver is staggering, even for Thailand. Judging from driving behaviour, half of the people on Chiang Mai roads should probably have their license withdrawn permanently. The roads are truly insane.

Cheers, CMX

i dont think many have licenses to begin with, and if they did have, it wont stop them driving if their licenses were revoked

:)

Here is a link from a Thai fishing web site re this (don't ask me why just it is on there) http://www.konmuang-fishing.com/wboard/sho...id=755&ch=1

The person who posted this is saying 12 deaths also mostly workers from Hoya 2, Ltec 4, Lamphun Hospital 2

5 Still in ICU.

Driver was being chased by police from previous accident.

Yepper some still pics posted where I saw the video...... I was also informed that the ones killed were mostly from Hoya and Ltec as they had just ended a shift. BTW, only one death was reported at the Lamphun hospital because only one had died there. I heard she went there because she was an employee of that hospital. More were dead on the scene and others died at CM hospitals. Regardless any death is a sad one... Again RIP to the victims...

Cheers, CMX

It's difficult to disagree with that, but after trips to cambodia and nepal, upon return to thailand the driving here seemed veritably SANE. It's all relative. I often hear about the mad driving in several countries.

Speed and running red lights are really the main culprits. It is noticeable in chiang mai however that the government are finally making efforts to educate people over driving.

I will say that the maddest driving i've seen in the kingdom was in isaan.

Concur. Just come to Udon Thani and drive around town for a while. Will give you a new perspective, I think. The complete lack of any sense regarding traffic rules, dangers etc is unbelievable here. Especially among the motorbike riders. They are like flies everywhere.

This is one reason why I will move from here.

... add incompetence, inaptness and a strong dose of "recreational" drinks like red bull, M150 to it, or maybe some of the "vit-amine-pills" around - overworking, stress.... pressure and one got a perfect mixture for desaster to happen any time....

So terribly sad for those poor people and their families. Not pre judging but if the culprit (s) are caught they should go to prison for life.

On a more general note. You often see larger vehicles treating motorcyclists with utter contempt on this road. The mad dash to get to work must cause so many accidents per year. These kids are just trying to make a living and they have to run the gauntlet of this major road every day. Something needs to be done to protect them.

About five years ago, a trucker pulled almost this same sort of thing in our province. While drunk, ran his dump truck over several motorcyclists with passengers, fled the scene, then hit more university students on motorbikes several kilometers down the road. Thai government made an example of him--a sentence of execution. I hope the heartless jerk that piloted this death machine gets the same treatment.

I have been involved in giving defensive driver training over a number of years (as a trainer) and whilst there are exceptions to everything most drivers of big rigs and trucks are not too bad at driving, after all it's their job and they spend quite a bit of time behind the wheel.

As said, there are exceptions and that would include those on 'ya-baa' and those drinking the contents of those little bottles of stimulant drink.

On (speaking about) the motorcyclists they are in the majority as being the most brain dead individuals that one could ever have the misfortune to meet in the realm.

When you stop your car at a red light you can finish up with "and usually do" half a dozen of these clowns pulling in front of your car. They jump the lights whilst other vehicles are still crossing the intersection and again it is the rule rather than the exception to have vehicles including motorcycles proceeding through an intersection long after the traffic lights have turned to red.

Someone mentioned that the authorities are trying to do something about these infractions but as I see they are doing nothing. So to the poster who wrote that perhaps you might give us some examples?

I went and renewed my five year drivers license a couple of weeks back and had to sit through an hour of video of how to drive in the realm and what not to do.

There was not one word said about the wearing of seat belts, the use of mobile cell phones, nor about having children in some form of cars seat or restraint.

There was plenty about thou shall not park on the footpath but does anyone do anything about it? NO!! and, it's unlikely that they ever will, because the police and everyone else in authority lack the will do do so.

Two persons are killed on the realms roads every hour and nothing is being done about it.

In concluding I have as much compassion as anyone posting on TV about death and carnage on the roads, but until the Thai’s themselves show the same level of concern and do something about the carnage as the majority of Caucasian expats who contribute posts to Thai Visa do the carnage will continue.

Another example the GF cousin’s husband is a Thai Airways caption rated for 747's and triple 7's and he and his wife think nothing of their 5 & 6 year olds standing on the passengers seats or the rear seats of their car. Have they got ant child restraints in the car, you can bet your <deleted> life they don't. And she when driving watches the TV which is just below the mirror of her vehicle. It's just a joke.

Am I gonna lose any sleep over it (the fatalities referred to in this thread) you're right, not a wink. I have seen more dead people than pretty well anyone (other than a military person) and I haven't become hardened because of it but as I have said until the authorities change the culture of how people drive (and the denizens of the realm who drive do likewise) in the realm nothings gonna change

I fell sorry for the families but that's as far as it goes.

Edited by john b good

So terribly sad for those poor people and their families. Not pre judging but if the culprit (s) are caught they should go to prison for life.

On a more general note. You often see larger vehicles treating motorcyclists with utter contempt on this road. The mad dash to get to work must cause so many accidents per year. These kids are just trying to make a living and they have to run the gauntlet of this major road every day. Something needs to be done to protect them.

The culprit is already caught.

I know some of the factories require helmets riding to and from work and do try to educate them.

I have to agree with you, john b good. As much as I feel sorrow for the injured and the families of the deceased, it is parents and the authorities in Thailand that have allowed it to happen. We have ALL seen multi people on scooters driving recklessly in traffic. Mothers holding babies and groceries at the same time while trying to negotiate a scooter through crazy Thai traffic in an every day sight. Teenagers racing scooters at high speed down narrow sois is another common sight.

I can't recall all the times I see scooters jump the lights as other vehicles are going through on red lights.

but, that doesn't take away from such a horrific accident between many scooters and a huge truck being recklessly driven.