Bad Experience - Taxi From Airport To Lamai

bridge

Arrived at Samui airport yesterday afternoon. Approached the minivan counter inside the terminal and told them where I wanted to go in Lamai. Could not get a seat, as they said 'driver wont go up road, too much roadwork', which is a complete crock. I live near Silavadee.

Then went to taxi counter and ended up sharing with two lads that were going into Lamai town (600THB). On the way I told the driver that I was getting off on the ring road just before Lamai (no detour involved - just planned to jump out on the ring road). He wouldnt have a bar of it, "one stop only - no two stops" was his reply. Anyway, for the rest of the journey I asked him whether he thought his attitude and that of his cohorts was damaging tourism. His reply, "I not care, I not like farang" - CHARMING.

samong kai ik leo ;-) (chicken brain once again) you can't ask uneducated people to be smart in bisuness and unfortunately the taxi drivers here are totally uneducated, rude, and only see your money...

but don't worry this is only a part of thailand, the crappiest part, the rest of the people are very nice especially if you can talk with them in thai as the english level of thailand is extremely low.

yes, something one has to know in Samui, better avaid taxis. Whenever I am on Samui I rather walk then use a Taxi just because they are so rude and rip you of. I rent a car or use the trucks going around the island. They are the better of the worse.

Samui has had this problem for years.

Regulation is the only answer.

For now, I never take a taxi. If my favorite bungalow owner forgets to pick me up, I always walk out of the airport to a little store opposite the 7 Eleven. Private guys with cars, such as a Honda Jazz or the like. Nice guys, cheap and personable.

There really ought to be a concerted campaign to boycott taxis until they put their meters on :)

Boycott them!

Specially from the Airport there is the wonderful option of the "Limousine Service"... unless one needs the privacy of a taxi - then pay up for the service!

Wonder what happened to the +90.- Baht must use Meter order, released last year?

There where Information sheets issued in Thai and in English with contact phone numbers, for complaints...

There really ought to be a concerted campaign to boycott taxis until they put their meters on :)

Boycott them!

Specially from the Airport there is the wonderful option of the "Limousine Service"... unless one needs the privacy of a taxi - then pay up for the service!

Expecially at the airport everything is private, the taxi are not even marked.....

People have no choise, and the minivan (still only 150/200) do not run if not full.

So in low season or late flights no choise, 500b private taxi (but in my case we shared it in 3 and it was cheap and door to door).

But when i will leave i will stop the first Songthae and give him 200, private trip....

samong kai ik leo ;-) (chicken brain once again) you can't ask uneducated people to be smart in bisuness and unfortunately the taxi drivers here are totally uneducated, rude, and only see your money...

but don't worry this is only a part of thailand, the crappiest part, the rest of the people are very nice especially if you can talk with them in thai as the english level of thailand is extremely low.

Excuse me! English level of Thailand is extremely low? Which part of Thailand have you been to? If you can afford to go places where upper class people go, you wouldn't have trouble with the communication! Sorry, but what do you expect from poor people? It would have been extremely lucky for them to even being able to afford to go to school. You get what you pay for...

i would advise anybody on Samui if not happy, move you will be amazed how much better it is off the island and about a third of the price. Baht bus Pattaya 10 baht, jontiem to pattaya 30 baht. taxi pattaya to bkk airport 800 baht, nice air con bus 120 baht. best thing i ever did was to move away wish i had done it years ago. i live in country side out of the madness but every thing only 15 mins away

u seem to not like this part of thailand so what u doing here. u seem to be too educated to stay in an under educated part of the world. either that or u don't live here. if thats the case how do u know so much about this island u must be a genious

Excuse me! English level of Thailand is extremely low? Which part of Thailand have you been to? If you can afford to go places where upper class people go, you wouldn't have trouble with the communication! Sorry, but what do you expect from poor people? It would have been extremely lucky for them to even being able to afford to go to school. You get what you pay for...

Samui does havea taxi problem but that is 1 problem. to say the whole island is crap because of the taxis means that all u care about is taxis. if that is the case why don't rent 1 to live in. as for the under educated man. He spoke english he was just nasty. He said " i don't care i not like forang" just because u r nasty doesn't mean u r thick. anyway he was the one with the 600 baht in his pocket so he was better off by the time he stopped. not saying it was right but i do have a point.

yes taxis are bad over here but that oesnt make the whole island crap. just 1 part of it

i would advise anybody on Samui if not happy, move you will be amazed how much better it is off the island and about a third of the price. Baht bus Pattaya 10 baht, jontiem to pattaya 30 baht. taxi pattaya to bkk airport 800 baht, nice air con bus 120 baht. best thing i ever did was to move away wish i had done it years ago. i live in country side out of the madness but every thing only 15 mins away
I have lived in Patty before and would never prefer it to Samui. But of course not everyone's priorities are beautiful nature with nice beaches, waterfalls and palm forests.

What taxi problems btw?? I live here way longer than the first yellow taxis arrived and have not one time used it. And I know nobody who ever had a problem with them, because everyone has his own transportation. Who living here has not at least a motorcycle?

i think there is a misunderstanding go on right now, what i read the op saying is; the crap uneducated thais are just a small part of thailand and everything else is wonderful. I do not see him saying samui is crap. imo the amount of english spoken on samui is vast as a matter of fact so many people speak english that a person could live here 10 yrs and never need to learn the language, the movies are in english, staff at tessco, big c, makro, and most eateries, customer service etc......we are lucky on samui because it is small and easy to get to around in a short time without traffic gridlock. the taxi mafia will go the way of the dodo bird sooner than later and i am sure they see the writing on the wall, their days are numbered. for my money samui is the best place to live in thailand if you like; sun, western food, to speak english, and nice beaches.

i think there is a misunderstanding go on right now, what i read the op saying is; the crap uneducated thais are just a small part of thailand and everything else is wonderful. I do not see him saying samui is crap. imo the amount of english spoken on samui is vast as a matter of fact so many people speak english that a person could live here 10 yrs and never need to learn the language, the movies are in english, staff at tessco, big c, makro, and most eateries, customer service etc......we are lucky on samui because it is small and easy to get to around in a short time without traffic gridlock. the taxi mafia will go the way of the dodo bird sooner than later and i am sure they see the writing on the wall, their days are numbered. for my money samui is the best place to live in thailand if you like; sun, western food, to speak english, and nice beaches.

I agree 100% with this. A discusion on some of the things that could be improved, does not mean we think samui is crap!!!

yep agreed samui is not for every. eacj to their own. i have lived in Bangkok, Pattaya go back and forward to phuket but samui must be doing something right because i always come back here. Yes everything is expensive. same as all islands round the world. Such as a few examples Monaco, Gurensey, gersey. you pay more but u have more freedome. not like phuket which is really part of the mainland and is more of a province or a city rarther than a small simple island.

yep agreed samui is not for every. eacj to their own. i have lived in Bangkok, Pattaya go back and forward to phuket but samui must be doing something right because i always come back here. Yes everything is expensive. same as all islands round the world. Such as a few examples Monaco, Gurensey, gersey. you pay more but u have more freedome. not like phuket which is really part of the mainland and is more of a province or a city rarther than a small simple island.

Did i read this write !! ?? is someone comparing Koh Samui to Monaco. HAHA :D I know alot OF Farangs cant stand anything bad being said about Thailand. But come on you cant compare Monaco ( a millionairs play ground and a beautiful place ) to Koh Samui ( nice beaches but a very dirty cheat tourist island ). Also Monaco is connected to mainland france dont need a boat. So you have never been there. In these please like Monaco yes they are very expensive but you get what you pay for .. class, good service and all the rest of lifes great things. But in Samui it is expensive but all you get is cheap rubbish and poor staff.

Just becuase the OP told us a story about something bad that happened on Samui, people come on here saying ' if you dont like samui the leave ' . All the OP was doing is telling us his story but people still come on here to tell him to either like it or leave. Alot of Farangs who live on Samui are very defensive. I wonder why .... could it be put all there money into failing business and they are stuck here :)

u have missed the point. the asking someone to leave was not the op. it was someone who had nothing good to say about the island. bascially a norse!

i wasn't only comparing it to monaco. it was an example for when you are dis connectedfrom the mainland then the price naturally goes up. every thing has to be imported from the mainland. Business can more easily manolpise things. Just part of life. Things are only worth what people arewilling to pay. as long as people keep buying then the rice will either stay the same or go up. in this case. samui is growing.

basically it is simple. if i over charge people yet they are happy to pay. then why would i lower my price. iw ould be an idiot. unless by lowering my price imake for customers and more money but if everywhere is charging the same then i know the customer can not go anywhere else. is some business they do like it when u put the price down too far as it mess up everyone else. u have to get on with your surroundings.

somethings are cheaper on the mainland but u add the cost of going there buying it the coming back. it works out the same but more hassle. such as flying from surat rarther than samui. buying a motor bike....

What a load of crap.................

i dont get it, why do you think that the only reason i would live here is because i cant leave, imo that is a load of crap, i spelled it quite clearly, i live here because it has many of the best things thailand has to offer and i dont need to speak thai. Q. do you live on samui? or are you one of those gone native types that like to talk shit about the guys who have more money than you? it is a well known fact that if you want to enjoy all that samui has to offer you need the green in your jeans because going native on samui still cost more than most other parts of thailand.

Bridge,

I too live right near Silavadee, and use the resort driver to pick me up/drop me off at the airport every month in his honda CRV, not the official Silavadee van, costs me 400 baht, my girf works there so she arranges it, you could probably do the same?.

You live here yet are still surprised at the way the taxi drivers treat people :D You don't have any friends here on the island who would pick you up drop you off ? Not even an old GF on a bike. MR popular indeed :D

No incredibly not true, I happen to know him and he is just to polite to impose himself on others time....since he has been back i have come out of hospital and he (AND his girlfriend) have been at the end of the phone to help in any way they can day or night....i find your comment rude, ignorant and incredibly pompous. How nice you feel you can demand others to pick you up and drop you off at your whim...he simply didnt mind paying for a taxi but was then treated badly...no need to attack his 'popularity' for goodness sake! :) i truly hope your comment was tongue in cheek otherwise i find your attitude despicable. grrrrrrr