Thai And/or Hilltribe Coffee

iSabai

Just remember that not all hand crank grinders are the same, and burr grinders, even hand cranked, are the best for uniformity of grind. I've seen ceramic burr hand cranked grinders in the states for less than $30 (~940 baht). Hario makes a good one for around $40 (~1300 baht), or you can get a Zassenhaus, which will last you a lifetime, but costs a bit more, starting at around $70 (~2200 baht). A good grinder is the second most important thing (next to good beans) in making good coffee.

Enjoy!

KB, I had been meaning to ask if there was a place to get a burr grinder in CM. Did you have to import the Zassenhaus or can you get it locally? It will be one less thing to have to bring when I come if I can get it or a similar quality one there.

I agree with you about the grinder being the second most important thing.

David

p.s. What part of Texas are you from? I'm in Austin, at the moment.

Hi David,

I got the Zass from Sweet Marias in California, where I get my beans from. (you can Google it)

I am still in the US, in Dallas, as I will not be moving to Thailand for 3 more years. 3 years, 1 month and 16 days to be exact. :D So I have no idea of whether you can get a Zass in CM, but assume that there is some way to get one if you want it. I plan to bring most of my coffee equipment with me, even if I leave most of the other stuff behind...roaster, different brewers, and different grinders. Retiring without (good) coffee would be no fun at all! :)

Best Regards,

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just remember that not all hand crank grinders are the same, and burr grinders, even hand cranked, are the best for uniformity of grind. I've seen ceramic burr hand cranked grinders in the states for less than $30 (~940 baht). Hario makes a good one for around $40 (~1300 baht), or you can get a Zassenhaus, which will last you a lifetime, but costs a bit more, starting at around $70 (~2200 baht). A good grinder is the second most important thing (next to good beans) in making good coffee.

Enjoy!

KB, I had been meaning to ask if there was a place to get a burr grinder in CM. Did you have to import the Zassenhaus or can you get it locally? It will be one less thing to have to bring when I come if I can get it or a similar quality one there.

I agree with you about the grinder being the second most important thing.

David

p.s. What part of Texas are you from? I'm in Austin, at the moment.

Hi David,

I got the Zass from Sweet Marias in California, where I get my beans from. (you can Google it)

I am still in the US, in Dallas, as I will not be moving to Thailand for 3 more years. 3 years, 1 month and 16 days to be exact. :D So I have no idea of whether you can get a Zass in CM, but assume that there is some way to get one if you want it. I plan to bring most of my coffee equipment with me, even if I leave most of the other stuff behind...roaster, different brewers, and different grinders. Retiring without (good) coffee would be no fun at all! :)

Best Regards,

245 days and counting.

I may get my stuff together for shipment as well, though I am working to minimize what I take with me. The cameras, passport, and money are the only essentials so far ... and good coffee, of course.

I'd go with Hillkoff too.

They roast their own beans and have a dozen different roasts and blends.

Just north of Chiang Puak Gate

http://hillkoff.com/

I've checked out the website, that is entirely in Thai, and tried all of the links (I think!) but can find no map... Can anyone give better directions on how to find the Hillkoff shop? Thank you.

I'd go with Hillkoff too.

They roast their own beans and have a dozen different roasts and blends.

Just north of Chiang Puak Gate

http://hillkoff.com/

I've checked out the website, that is entirely in Thai, and tried all of the links (I think!) but can find no map... Can anyone give better directions on how to find the Hillkoff shop? Thank you.

JimShortz,

I also had trouble finding it. I was exploring the area with my wife and as I said to her..."it's probablyou one of those places you find when you least expect it or when you are lost." and sure enough...there it was :)

Turn down Chang Puak rd from the moat. Turn right at soi 4 (I think), then double back to soi 2 which is a one way soi heading back on to Chang Puak Rd. Hillkoff is near the corner of soi 2 and Chang Puak rd.

Speak to Poon if you want someone with intimate knowledge.

Good luck.

I also had trouble finding it. I was exploring the area with my wife and as I said to her..."it's probablyou one of those places you find when you least expect it or when you are lost." and sure enough...there it was :)

Turn down Chang Puak rd from the moat. Turn right at soi 4 (I think), then double back to soi 2 which is a one way soi heading back on to Chang Puak Rd. Hillkoff is near the corner of soi 2 and Chang Puak rd.

Thank you lingnoi - much appreciated!

Thanks to the hive mind at work here on ThaiVisa, my wife and I promptly took up the recommendation of Duang Dee and bought some of what the owner described as "classic". Our order was ground on the spot, as we needed a slightly larger grind for our french presses. Result: Excellent.

We've been buying for the last two years from Hillkoff. Almost always satisfied with French Roast. Not so much the other types (i.e. City Roast or Espresso). People there are real merchants - diligent, friendly, but down-to-business. They are actually running their business, not paying bored staff a pittance to give you nonchalant and slack service. You can even order coffees and drink them on the couch at the front, though it's a little awkward and takes about 15 minutes. They are always busy. Always. Definitely the only place to buy any kit. They have everything. Grinders, machines, jars, imported cocoa, etc.

However, we think we've found an even better coffee supplier at Duang Dee. Taste is just wonderful. The German owner is quite the crank, though friendly and liable to story-telling. It is hard to find. It's the last possible left before you get to the NE moat corner, on the outside. The road isn't so much a soi as a parking lot for the rows of old shop houses, so don't look for a road per se. Duang Dee is at the end, on the left.

Thanks to the hive mind at work here on ThaiVisa, my wife and I promptly took up the recommendation of Duang Dee and bought some of what the owner described as "classic". Our order was ground on the spot, as we needed a slightly larger grind for our french presses. Result: Excellent.

We've been buying for the last two years from Hillkoff. Almost always satisfied with French Roast. Not so much the other types (i.e. City Roast or Espresso). People there are real merchants - diligent, friendly, but down-to-business. They are actually running their business, not paying bored staff a pittance to give you nonchalant and slack service. You can even order coffees and drink them on the couch at the front, though it's a little awkward and takes about 15 minutes. They are always busy. Always. Definitely the only place to buy any kit. They have everything. Grinders, machines, jars, imported cocoa, etc.

However, we think we've found an even better coffee supplier at Duang Dee. Taste is just wonderful. The German owner is quite the crank, though friendly and liable to story-telling. It is hard to find. It's the last possible left before you get to the NE moat corner, on the outside. The road isn't so much a soi as a parking lot for the rows of old shop houses, so don't look for a road per se. Duang Dee is at the end, on the left.

JohnLocke - I've got to agree with your sentiments on Hillkoff. It is surely the place to go for equipment. And yes, so nice to see a place run profesionally and with care.

My only hesitation with some of the coffee blends is the small dose of Robusta.

I have had Duang Dee a couple of times but have not purchased from them. How much for 250grams?

I tried to go to Hillkoff today at about 6pm, but unfortunately it was shut... doh! Anyway, thanks again for the directions lingnoi - I found it easily.

Since Hillkoff was shut I went to Duang Dee and bought a 250gm bag of "classic" for 70 Baht. A great price and pretty good coffee. I'm still looking forward to trying some of the blends from Hillkoff, and I want to go there to buy a grinder. I guess I'll follow JohnLocke's recommendations and start with the French Roast unless someone wants to convince me otherwise?

• 4 months later...

I know a guy who has a coffee business up in Chiang Rai and he is growing Kona coffee. If I am not mistaken this is the only guy doing this here. His name is Derek. If you ever go to Tuskers on a Friday night you will see him there. Unfortunately I have no contact info except about Tuskers. He is a really tall young guy with red hair and a beard, you can't miss him. I'm just trying to help a brother out. I think he would give a good deal too because his business is still getting on its feet.

If anyone gets any further contact with The "REDHEADED GUY" could you please forward some contact info to me in Chonburi? It would be most appreated this since I have not had kona for about 4 years....:( . Thanks in advance!