When Was The Last Time You Went Back To Your Country

livinthailandos

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was last in UK in October 2007

Going again in April this year (Great Songkran Escape)

Ahh, the Great Songkran Escape!

I go back to the US once a year to take care of business, visit my family, and to avoid the stupidity of the falangs here in Pattaya who make Songkran a two week experience in terror! :D Isn't taking two "stupid pills" a day a requirement?

Of course I'm more than happy to make the trip back to my home here in the Land of Vertical Smiles, even if it means the discomfort of 24+ hours of travel time! :)

I went to Philadelphia in 2007 to get a work permit from the saudi embassy in DC in order to get an iqama (saudi residence permit) back in saudi where I was workin'...was already resident in saudi at the time...the previous time was in 1999 in CA to renew my CA driver's license so I could get a local license in Abu Dhabi...dem arabs got you comin' an' goin'...the time before that was in 1993 to see my dad before he died of cancer; just bein' the dutiful son, I didn't like him that much...I pretty much called it quits with the US in 1987...

in Phila. I didn't sleep...there was gunfire at night and other sounds of brutality...an' I was just one block from the Drexel University campus...the deli sandwiches downtown near the office were quite nice as well as the pizza, however...

Yeah, I live about 40 mins outside Philly. We have now become the murder capital of the US thanks to ongoing gang warfare. Good job city of brotherly love!

Maybe Im more of a patriot to my home country (the USA) than others, but if Im away from the USA for more than a few months at a time I get homesick for my daughter, my mom, my friends, the English language and all things American. In the past 3 years I have spent the majority of my time in Thailand but with trips home at most every 2 months. Im not sure if I can ever call Thailand "home" as others are able to do, but its a nice place to stay for a long period of time.

Around MAY 2004 ... :)

Vancouver, BC. Canada.

Love the country, people,highway driving, fresh air outside cities..........

but the prices hurt my wallet, ruin my pension's purchasing level,

the damp-cold in the fall/winter/spring and sometime in the summer too !

Above all : I miss MISS VICKY potato chip ( w/seasalt is best ) !!!

any store in Bangkok sell this item ?

Family: Mine 'helped' my Mother when she developed alzheimers disease by clearing out her bank account including the insurance payment from my Fathers death 3 months before.

Friends: Most of the closest ones have also left the UK; 3 to Australia, 1 to USA, 1 to France, 1 to China and 2 to Thailand.

Roads: Gatso and constant speed cameras, cant adjust the volume on your cd player, soon scratching your nose while driving will be ilegal without pulling over to a designated nose scratching area.

People: In the 10 yrs before I came here; house burgled twice, cars broken into 9 times.

When I had a city centre business had occasion to call the police 27 times (didn't always bother to call them) within a 2 year period.

Even though the offences include attempted robbery with; a knife, a broken bottle and attempted assult (luckily all attempted only because I have over 20 yrs experience in martial arts, part of my reason for moving here) AND even though I had the relevant crim in my custody on three occasions, not one conviction!

Also dont miss watching people cross the road in fear when they see a group of youths approaching or seeing some abnoxious civil servant hand out fines when an old lady or respectable looking person accidently drops a receipt, dont see the same little worm aproaching a gang of youths dropping cans/bottles of lager and flicking cigarettes at people.

Old people dying of cold because their pensions dont stretch to food AND heating...

The last time I was there is not long enough past and I hope never to return.

<deleted> wow. Are you American? Did you renounce citizenship?

If not that's pretty crappy from a tax standpoint, whether you pay or not you are legally on the hook for taxes for 42 years that you have not even lived there! What a country! LOL

Edited by YanTree

My name is Ken Bower. I first came to Thailand at age 35, assigned to the US Army Satellite Communications Station at U-Tapao RTNAB in 1971 and was later assigned as Station Chief of the US Army Microwave Communications in Sriracha Thailand. It was during my 20+ years of servatude in the US military.

I had been in six other Asian countries B4 arriving in Thailand, but somehow, Thailand was so very different, somehow better.

I am now close to 74 yrs old and have worked in, lived in or visited 39 countries but since 1971 have always considered Thailand as not only the best place to visit but to live.

I fully retired in 1995 and moved to Chiayaphum Thailand, some 5 hours north of Bangkok, but in 2007 left our lovely home there and rented/leased an apartment in Bangkok. I now spend most of every month right here in the BIG MANGO.

In 2005, I stopped going back to the U.S. altogether. Haven't got any intentions of ever going back.

My kids/grandkids/great grandson ALL have a lot more money than I have and most come to visit here so why would I ever want to go back to a country I was born in but spent only about 1/3rd of my life in and didn't like all that much when I was living there?

The current cost of living/existing in the U.S. is several times what it is to live here so I'm very happy to just continue to live a little higher on the hog here than I'd ever be able to on my retirement incomes living stateside????

Ken Bower

Enjoying full retirement in Thailand