Fortuner Tyres

richardjm65

My Fortuner will be up for a tyre change soon. Have done almost 70,000km on the original Michelins and they've probably got another 10 to 15 thousand left on them. Relacement with Michelins is a bit spendy and I guess the options would be Bridgestone or Maxxis. Maxxis look as if they might be noisy. Anybody got any experience with the quality, longevity, noisiness or price on these options or should I just stick with Michelins?

I am thinking the same. Toyota now fit Bridgestone Duellers as standard, be interesting to know why the change, money l suppose. So must assume they are a quiet ride.

I'm also in the position of thinking about changing tyres. I have an Isuzu Mu7 and Bridgestone Duellers came as standard. Currently done about 50,000 and will do another 10,000 I guess. I thought I might change to something else as I assumed Bridgestones must be the cheapest and probably not the best. I wouldn't say they are quiet particularly as they make quite a screech going around corners (at any spead) and the tyre inflation is checked and to specification. I was hoping for quieter cornering.

I have had the previous Duellers, used to be standard on Vigo/Fortuner and still is on Izu. Crap

I v had the Michelin Cross terrain 16. ok

Both Michelin and Dueller are out as new road biased tyres in addition to above. Have Duellers 17" on my 2010 Vigo. Great. Excellent grip, quiet. Probably hopeless offroad though.

Maybe I can also throw in a penny's worth.

Before coming to Thailand I drove a Landrover 110 on AT tires, a Kia Besta on van tires, a Ford Mondeo estate on road + winter tires and an old Opel Kadett.

All on the same mark of tires.

Hankook!

Yes, indeed Hankook!

Very good tires, long life indeed, very quiet indeed.

The LR was driven hard, mostly with a big trailer with a trainload of 4500-5000 kilo

I drove that car for 120,000 km, the Hankooks were on the wheel from 45,000 km, and when I sold the car because my departure to Thailand, the tires were still good for 20,000-25,000 km

The Kia was indeed the workhorse, delivered with Hankook's, used all day, pulling a trailer, total km's in 4 years around the 300,000 km

For that I used 3 sets of tires in the front and 4 sets in the back

Mind you, when selling the van still halfway to go.

The Ford was driven by my son, high speed, much of it in Germany, many times with a single axle trailer.

The tires were normally changed because of this around the 75,000 km mark, to remain safe for the hard driving

My son, a car mechanic by trade liked the tires very much, better as Michelin, very much better as Dunlop, he did not like Bridgestone at all.

The Kadett was a fun car, used sparingly, and we got the tires for free, for promotional purposes from the importer of Hankook.

Even on this old car the Hankooks are a treat.

All our trailers, four of them, were also running on Hankooks.

In Thailand I am driving a 2003 CRV

When I bought the car there were Brigdgestones under it.

40,000 km later needed new tires.

Put on Hankook AT tires, they are not really very silent because of the AT-tread

But now, at 125,000 km, they are still on the car, and good for at least another 40,000 km.

For me.....Hankook

Edited by hansnl

If you are talking about the 16" Fortuner tyres, check out the bf goodrich long trail. I replaced my 16" Michelins with these tyres for 4000 baht a wheel.

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/overview/ra...ail-t-a/15.html

That's interesting, good price too, are they on a par to the michelins, road noise etc. :)

I have not noticed an increase in road noise. The handling does not seem to have changed and overall i am happy with my choice. I thought about the Michelins but they were 1000 baht more per tyre, dont know about the Bridgestones as i did not consider them. They have been on the truck just over a year now, done approx. 20k and rotated them once.