Yamaha Tiara Choke

ClareQuilty

I recently bought a Yamaha Tiara 120S - a nice old two stroke Sonic-style slightly sporty little bike - for just 4,500 baht. I like it a lot as it is a bit bigger and higher (more comfortable) than the Tenas I usually buy. But, it has developed a problem:

It happened after I got it back from a repair shop - the bike will only excellerate with the choke in the 'on' position. It wasn't like this before - before it required some choke to start but then would run and drive with the choke off, as normal, though it did have a too-high idle. My guess is maybe the mechanic sort of reset the mixture and so forth while he had it (the bike was just in for a new tube to replace one that was leaking, I think the one from the gas tank to the carb or to the autolube or something like that).

I'm not very good with mechanicals, and only speak Thai a bit, so its difficult to discuss this with the mechanic. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions? And by the way, any Tiara owners out there?

• 2 months later...

Errrm, so you don't just ride Tenas! :D Did you ever get the problem with the choke sorted out? I guess you must have as the post was a few months ago. I bet it was just running lean. Anyway, hope it's OK now. By the way, I think we should start a Honda Tena Owners Club! :) If you see any good Honda Tenas for sale, let me know. I was in Laos a couple of months ago and every other bike seems to be a Tena. Here's a photo of one in beautiful condition.

• 1 year later...

Errrm, so you don't just ride Tenas! :D Did you ever get the problem with the choke sorted out? I guess you must have as the post was a few months ago. I bet it was just running lean. Anyway, hope it's OK now. By the way, I think we should start a Honda Tena Owners Club! :) If you see any good Honda Tenas for sale, let me know. I was in Laos a couple of months ago and every other bike seems to be a Tena. Here's a photo of one in beautiful condition.

Hey I just noticed this, wow, long time ago. I hope you're still visiting Thaivisa. I have to admit I do only occasionally.

Alas I never really fixed the Tiara, it was drivable as it was so I drove it that way till some Thais persuaded me to sell it. I got a years worth of use out of it. I miss it a lot, and I really preferred the driving position compared to the lower/smaller Tenas. I'd love to find another one in really good shape, as that one was a bit rough.

As for Tenas, well, I now have three Tenas all in good shape! I just kept buying them when the dealer had a good one (which wasn't often), if it was cheap enough. I bought them for around 5-6K each, but I've put a bit into each one fixing them up. I'd sell them for 6-8K I guess, depending on which one.