How Do I Turn A Modem Into A Wifi Modem ?

torrenova

For reasons better known to Neanderthal men, my missus cannot change (read huge problems if she does) the modem her mother's husband is using to watch TV through his PC. I simply wanted to change it to one which was wi-fi as I'm trying to buy her a laptop for her birthday.

As there is no 3G mobile broadband in Buriram, we need wi-fi and if we cannot change the current router, can we make it wireless ?

This is what is there, GMesh GM-301 - DUAL PORTS ADSL MODEM http://www.gmesh.com/product.php?id=45

Apparently it only has 1 ethernet and 1 USB and from a picture I got off the net, it has the "printer" end of the USB (hope that makes sense). Is there some way that I can maybe plug something into this slot and if necessary something into the laptop and make a wireless connection that way between the laptop and the modem ?

If something has to go into the ethernet port to make this "wireless" connection, is it possible to have a splitter, effectively running 2 things through the same ethernet port on the modem ?

Any ideas to ease this most welcome because at the moment, it seems an insurmountable problem which a new router would solve easily.

post-8369-1266490463.jpg

post-8369-1266490475_thumb.jpg

GMesh_301_ADSL_modem_technical_specifications.pdf

I have the other way around, I use a Zyxel UC20, onto a computer to let it use the Wireless Network in my condo.

I am sure you could do the same the other way around. And add onto the USB on your modem then use the software

with the Wireless Adapter (UC20) to connect to the internet.

You should be able to plug a WiFi Router in between the PC and the ADSL modem. However it depends to some extent on the setup of the PC and modem, is there any software provided by TOT on your PC?

You should use the LAN port on the WiFi Router rather than the WAN port, so you need to make sure the LAN ports will recognise an uplink (most newer ones do - autosensing).

Actually what you really need is a WiFi Hub, but not sure I've seen one. A WiFi Access Point would work but then your current PC would have to connect wirelessly unless there is another LAN connection (there isn't usually)

From the spec pdf for the modem it looks like it will just work (mentions being a DHCP server for your whole network),

Can't be anything complicated or changing this or that I'm afraid. Neanderthal man goes ape shit if anything and I mean anything interferes with his TV. Tried to sort things out using Logmein and it froze his TV. Did it twice and now I cannot see my daughter on Skype because the arsehol_e won't allow anyone near the PC, hence the need for a laptop and wifi.

If it is just plugging something in or putting a 1 into 2 splitter then maybe, just maybe I can get away with it (or my missus can). I'd just replace the modem and have done with it but that is going to need someone to install the drivers for the new modem on his PC and that is a whole world of hurt. I don't even know what is running on his PC but I do know that it controls his TV and that makes it a no go area.

I hope you can see my predicament.

Buy a cheap Lan Hub, 4 ports will be enough. Make sure it supports 100Mb LAN.

Plug it into the router then plug the existing lan cable into the hub. The TV should now be working.

Purchase a Wireless access point (AP), like the Dlink DWL-AP2100

Firstly plug it into your lan connection on the notebook and use the Wizard to configure it.

Just follow the instructions.

Then plug the AP into the Lan Hub.

Now go back to your notebook and tell it to find Wireless networks.

Select yours and you are in business.

First time round do not worry about encryption, just concentrate on getting connected.

Then go back to the Wizard for the AP and set encryption and choose a password you will remember.

Once enabled you will need to key in the password on your laptop, in order to connect.

Manjarara has given you ther right answer, it isnt comlicated.

You need a wireless router in bridge mode (1500 BHT from Banana IT) and attach your modem into the WAN link RJ45 part of the router. Make sure you know password for modem and router and it's no more than 5mins work. Then set up wireless security seleceting WPA2 and only allow your mac address to to use wirless.

I think,you can simply connect laptop to modem using USB cable,it can be 3-4mtrs long,not enough?PC is on ethernet cable?You will only do connection and ..voila!...it goes!nothing else to do!After that,when your N.man will get used to new situation you may convince him to accept wireless router and to bear together all risks connected with it.(there is no risk at all,

but always some problems may come out - and Q?:who to blame?better - not you).

No need for access points, no need for splitters.

The cheapest way is please go get a d-link dir-300 wireless router. its plug and play no additional confusing software needed. it comes with necessary cables. plug your modem to the routers WAN port thats all. you will have wireless access within minutes and the router also comes with 4 additional ports incase you need to connect devices with ethernet cable "xbox, playstation, a desktop pc etc"

Modem already up and running so the router is simply getting the information "data" from the modem and distribute it over.

If the internet is working at the moment.. simply plug in a wireless access point into it and connect the laptop to that. Wireless access point is not to be confused with a wireless router. Wireless access point has one ethernet sockets were as a wireless router will have perhaps 4.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

In the end it all proved too much to do from 6000 miles away and though you gave out some great advice and I've certainly learned a lot from your answers, none of it was possible because of the apprehension my missus has.

I think we have sourced someone who installed the internet TV to come out and as such, I've ordered a wireless router from InvadeIT along with the laptop and they are going to fix up that side of things before shipping it and the man can change over the router from the current one to the wireless one as he apparently knows how to make the TV work.

I didn't know this guy existed until today but hopefully it will make for a cleaner solution (or not ?).

Thanks again.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

In the end it all proved too much to do from 6000 miles away and though you gave out some great advice and I've certainly learned a lot from your answers, none of it was possible because of the apprehension my missus has.

I think we have sourced someone who installed the internet TV to come out and as such, I've ordered a wireless router from InvadeIT along with the laptop and they are going to fix up that side of things before shipping it and the man can change over the router from the current one to the wireless one as he apparently knows how to make the TV work.

I didn't know this guy existed until today but hopefully it will make for a cleaner solution (or not ?).

Thanks again.

I know the feeling, I've managed to get ADSL for the house in the North, after about 6 years of trying to get them to install a phone line, now myself and the wife are in Turkey and we've been trying to get them to use Skype for video calls. They were not able to configure anything and only have one PC connected in the back room. Installing WiFi was completely beyond them.

I've resigned myself to waiting till I go there around Songkran (hopefully), when I will put in a WiFi router, Skype phone and NAS with the WD device to play content from the NAS through the TV. (note to self: better get a decent UPS too!)