How To Make Sure The Property Is Safe And Will No Be Burglared When Unoccupied?

Hi @ all,

I am planning to build a Villa in Samui on a hill that at some stage should function as a holiday or retirement home for at least 3 month or more a year. Up until then and in between I would like to rent out. Some people have a Thai couple living in their homes that they will pay. Also that couple will do some of the maintenance. All that being supervised by a property and rental company that I would have to pay. Is there any other good way of protection rather then having a couple living there which of course is costly? What are other doing if the property is empty for quite some time of the year?

I have many overseas friends who have holiday homes around me and have tried having paid couples live in. Invariably they are not reliable and either are always out. Some even have all their friends and relatives staying and messing up the place. And some steal everything and then disappear.

1/.The best is to have a TV monitoring system that you can check everything wherever you are, when ever you like.

You must have high speed internet acess both at your home in Samui and wherever you reside abroad. It could cost from Bt35,000 - Bt 60,000 depending on the size of your house.

2/You could rent it out to someone on a short term basis for a small rent. This is attractive for someone who is building a home on Samui to use in the meantime.

3/. You could employ a full time maid provided she has good recommendations. But very hard to find a reliable one. We have been trying for years without much sucess. We do not go away often and when we do we pay a policeman Bt200 a night to look after our place.

The majority of people who live abroad and have holiday homes here are married to Thais and when they are away have their wifes family look after the place

However this advice applies to where we live which is relatively crime free. (near Hua Hin) I am told that crime is a real problem on Samui

Have a quality security company like PCS or Securitas etc station a guard there 24hrs on shift rotaions. This is the only method.

Secuity cameras may allow you to watch your place being robbed on-line, with little ability to affect the outome (it's samui remember). Hired help living there is an option, but this has been known to not work out and a maid may collude with theives at some stage and negate the process.

Identify the nearest large development and target the guarding comany they use. This will increase the potential that the firm will accept the work as it will be easier for them to staff it.

Yes it will cost more, but frankly you have gone down this route with a stand alone villa in a remote island location and you need accept the practical issues that come with the territory.