60,000b Minimum Income For Work Permit

Nordlys,

Why do are you getting a work permit when you already have a Thai passport? Why don't you go to HK or Singapore for the weekend (leaving on your Japanese PP) and then fly back in on your Thai PP.

I do have a Thai citizen ID but not the passport yet, just didn't see the benefit of having one when I can travel anywhere with my Japanese PP.

It just didn't occur to me when I was moving back to Thailand six years ago that I still have a Thai citizenship. So I came back with Non-Imm B visa, got extension, got work permit and from that point on the annual renewal till now. It's not a major hassle now to get my visa/WP renewed every year (other than the cost of doing so that my company pays each year). But I know I can't keep doing this indefinitely as I intend to live and retire in Thailand permanently, so I and my wife are looking into your option for when our company's BOI incentive expires, or perhaps as soon as next year when my visa/WP expires.

I'm still kind of sorting out what right/convenience I would lose for no longer being a Japanese citizen here, and trying to scale that with almost B9,000 multi-entry visa/extension/WP/ annual renewal fee my company pays each year. Will I be able receive consular service at the Japanese embassy here, e.g. passport renewal, Japanese election voting, etc. with a Japanese PP that shows no trace of entry into Thailand? Can I get my Japanese driver's license renewed and register resident registration if I were to go back to live there again (well I can but I know they demand answers to those questions)? ... are the kind of questions I am seeking answers to before I go with the option of your suggestion.

You wrote in the other thread that Thai immigration does not care for the stamp trail. Is that the case for Aussie immigration as well? How long have you been travelling with two passports (that is, in and out of Thailand with Thai passport but entry to another country with OZ passport)? I am assuming you never had any problem travelling with two passports otherwise you wouldn't recommend me doing the same.

Edited by Nordlys

Nordlys,

Why do are you getting a work permit when you already have a Thai passport? Why don't you go to HK or Singapore for the weekend (leaving on your Japanese PP) and then fly back in on your Thai PP.

I do have a Thai citizen ID but not the passport yet, just didn't see the benefit of having one when I can travel anywhere with my Japanese PP.

It just didn't occur to me when I was moving back to Thailand six years ago that I still have a Thai citizenship. So I came back with Non-Imm B visa, got extension, got work permit and from that point on the annual renewal till now. It's not a major hassle now to get my visa/WP renewed every year (other than the cost of doing so that my company pays each year). But I know I can't keep doing this indefinitely as I intend to live and retire in Thailand permanently, so I and my wife are looking into your option for when our company's BOI incentive expires, or perhaps as soon as next year when my visa/WP expires.

I'm still kind of sorting out what right/convenience I would lose for no longer being a Japanese citizen here, and trying to scale that with almost B9,000 multi-entry visa/extension/WP/ annual renewal fee my company pays each year. Will I be able receive consular service at the Japanese embassy here, e.g. passport renewal, Japanese election voting, etc. with a Japanese PP that shows no trace of entry into Thailand? Can I get my Japanese driver's license renewed and register resident registration if I were to go back to live there again (well I can but I know they demand answers to those questions)? ... are the kind of questions I am seeking answers to before I go with the option of your suggestion.

You wrote in the other thread that Thai immigration does not care for the stamp trail. Is that the case for Aussie immigration as well? How long have you been travelling with two passports (that is, in and out of Thailand with Thai passport but entry to another country with OZ passport)? I am assuming you never had any problem travelling with two passports otherwise you wouldn't recommend me doing the same.

Well I am not sure if Japan allows dual nationality, but if it does, then you should be able to use the consular services anyway. I know with the Australian embassy in BKK, I can renew my drivers license/passport, register my self with the embassy as an overseas resident and recieve all consular services entitled to me as an Australian, such as voting in elections, registering births etc. I know the Thai lady at the desk there (K.Sumon) and get on quite well with her, and she has always been helpful come elections/passport renewal time.

As for stamp trails, Thailand certainly doesn't care. Australia doesn't care either, as they don't even stamp in and out its own nationals. When travelling between Thailand and the US or Europe, doing the passport switch works without any problems. I travel throughout asia on my Thai PP, and the rest of the world on my Australian PP. Never a problem

Some people say that they prefer to live in Thailand on their foreign PP over their Thai one as the can recieve consular assistance if they have problems with the law. My personal opinion is that under these circumstances, consular assistance is hugely overrated. Plus, it is easy to live within the law there so you should be afraid of the Thai authorites.

If you are truely in trouble with the law all that an embassy will do for you is bring out a list of lawyers for you to ring. Some people seem to think that being a foreign national is somehow a 'get out of jail free' card. If you have dealings with the law, there is very little your foreign government can do for you, apart from keep up appearances.

Japan does not allow dual citizenships. But I was born before the amendment of the citizenship act, meaning if I didn't choose/declare my Japanese nationality by age 22, I would be regarded as having chosen Japanese citizenship and therefore can retain it. Whether or not I have another citizenship would not be questioned and they don't/can't strip me of my Jap citizenship even if they find out that I have one (I don't know how on earth they can find out if I have Thai citizenship though). So I guess that means I am a Japanese citizen by every definitions and should be entitled to consular services regardless of whatever else the citizenships I have, and when and from where I landed in Thailand is none of their concern even if I couldn't prove that with my Japanese passport as immigration control within Thai border is none of their business. Is this a correct understanding?

You're right about the consular assistance to foreign national overrated in the event of the problem with law. As far as Japanese embassy is concerned, the respect for sovereignty and court of the host country comes ahead of my protection.

I know even if I receive a death penalty here the embassy wouldn't act out of respect for judicial independence of this country, as long as the I was convicted in the due process of law. I remember OZ nationals being convicted and executed for drug trafficking in Malaysia and Singapore and Australian government was requesting clemency through every diplomatic channels until the last day for their lives to be spared. Japan wouldn't go that far trying to save the life of its own citizens. So I guess I have nothing to lose to worry about. In fact the more I think about it, the more I'm confused what I'm worried about.

I did happen a few times on minor traffic violations that when police officer caught me found out I'm Japanese (from my name on driver's license), he appeared polite, was lenient and let me go without issuing a ticket.

Aussie can renew Australian driver's license in Thailand? That is nice. We Japanese have to go back to Japan to do that.

So I guess that means I am a Japanese citizen by every definitions and should be entitled to consular services regardless of whatever else the citizenships I have, and when and from where I landed in Thailand is none of their concern even if I couldn't prove that with my Japanese passport as immigration control within Thai border is none of their business.  Is this a correct understanding? 

Yes, your understanding of this is correct. You should be able to use all the services that the Japanese embassy offers its citizens.

Aussie can renew Australian driver's license in Thailand?  That is nice.  We Japanese have to go back to Japan to do that.

Well the embassy can't, but the authorities will let you do it by post and they can send the new one back to you.