Is This The Best Thailand Forum

deejah

Internet is a numbers game right?

The number of members here should be a good indication

I guess higher numbers is more advert money.

So, are the numbers real?

:)

I joined in 2003, looking for a new Forum after leaving nanaplaza dot com, which turned out to be mostly sleazy stuff, and the old dogs "shooting down" newbies all the time.

Anyhow,

can somebody tell me when TV started up?

I think I saw a thread about this a long time ago.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just curious, Why is it against the 'RULES"?

Because Thai Visa does its best not be like certain less honorable websites. :)

I only look elsewhere when I feel the occasional need to rant, flame, troll...libel, slander, intimidate; basically rip others to shreds while enjoying the anonymity of the internet...

11949854641636335824troll_daniel_steele_r.svg.med.png

Free speech man!

I am a newb and only aware of Tdoor and TV. I hope people mention some of the other places because I definitely have the time to check more than 1 website each day.

No, please don’t anybody do that because posting the names of other forums would be against forum rules. I am sure everybody is capable of doing searches to find what they want.

--

Maestro

being so well established you would think TV had nothing to fear by allowing people to mention the names of other forums.

As for the best, it is certainly the most active, and largest and seems to be somewhat less cliquey than some of the others.

the only thing that keeps me here is the high post rate. there is really no point in logging into a forum that doesn't change from day to day.

TV has experienced some growing pains. its affiliations with a particular local media enterprise in particular have done serious damage to the quality of itself as a news source.

As a collection of multiple sources, it was excellent, that sadly is no longer the case. it has lost the diversity that brought me here to begin with.

there is some very good information to be found here, but it is by no means as useful as just getting out there and doing it.

i find it amusing that a post discussing the features that may make thai visa the best thailand forum, so clearly demonstrates its very significant faults

Edited by t.s

being so well established you would think TV had nothing to fear by allowing people to mention the names of other forums.

I think it's an admission by the owner that Thaivisa is very definitely not the best Thai forum. And, if you don't want to know about farming or the Thai language, Thaivisa is very obviously far inferior to the alternatives, shit as they are.

Everyone keeps ignoring the fact that one (want-to-be) competitor has slandered George and many of the moderators - accusing Thai Visa of being a criminal conspiracy and all kinds of other wild charges over many years. Why would Thai Visa allow anyone to promote these kinds of libelous forums on their website?

i find it amusing that a post discussing the features that may make thai visa the best thailand forum, so clearly demonstrates its very significant faults

Very true! The amount of notifications of deleted posts in this thread is quite funny. A useful tip is to subscribe to a thread like this which is being butchered heavily so you can see all the real responses before they're deleted or censored.

It probably is the best Thai based forum for volume of content and for the wealth of information in the archives. It's great that you can ask a visa related question and usually get a pretty informative answer within a matter of minutes. For fun and having a laugh, though, you should definitely look elsewhere.

The forum software itself is in dire need of an upgrade as it's looking very dated now. It's a shame that the previous attempt at upgrading to the latest version of Invision failed so spectacularly.

From a user's perspective, there are definitely too many ads, but they're there to make the owners money, which has clearly been the main priority of the site for some time now, so they're here to stay unfortunately.

TV is my favourite from the current Thailand sites but I'm another who thinks that the forum could be a bit more relaxed about the competition, especially the city-based sites which have complementary roles. Even the main competitor is sometimes good for trip reports. The one I liked years ago which got completely ruined is the old usenet (later google) group. I suppose that one shows what happens if you don't have moderators.

Everyone keeps ignoring the fact that one (want-to-be) competitor has slandered George and many of the moderators - accusing Thai Visa of being a criminal conspiracy and all kinds of other wild charges over many years. Why would Thai Visa allow anyone to promote these kinds of libelous forums on their website?

i am not ignoring it, i was unaware, but as you posess knowledge some of us don't, wouldnt this be a great time to share?

i would also like to point out that saying the bangkok post is one of thailands daily newspapers is hardly promoting the paper, is it?

Edited by t.s

i am not ignoring it, i was unaware, but as you posess knowledge some of us don't, wouldnt this be a great time to share?

I do not think that George wants to give their crackpot accusations any publicity, but plenty of members have seen them. Enough said.

Horses for courses.

This forum may well be drearily predictable, possibly for reasons one could attribute to its blue collar demographic and the culture of absurd overmoderation stifling any satisfying debate, but it does benefit from scale and the resultant exchange of information based on personal experience can be an advantage over other fora.

However, if one wants a more thrusting and dynamic cyber exchange then there are much better sites to be found elsewhere.

The trouble here is you can't post any links to backup your claims so it is irrelevant and the fact that you cannot mention any of the other forums means this thread is pointless and may as well be closed, everyone go back to knitting and talking about sinsot. True open discussion means you can post links to whatever point you are trying to make.

This is where this forum falls apart and others excel. Open discussion.

Is mere mention of the unspeakable a promotion?

Hardly, dear boy, but I can well appreciate the defensiveness that may be engendered by what others understand to be nothing more than the exercise of free speech.

Is mere mention of the unspeakable a promotion?

Hardly, dear boy, but I can well appreciate the defensiveness that may be engendered by what others understand to be nothing more than the exercise of free speech.

Gent, is that you? You've been missed.