Incineration Will Cost About 4 Million Baht Per Tonne.

Dodobird

I've got a proposal on my desk for a plasma gasification system that will process 350 tons/day of MSW and generate about 8 MW of power. The cost of the whole system (gasifiers, gas engines, generators, and related equipment) is quoted as US$ 54,000,000 which would work out to about 5.1 MB/ton.

I'm guessing they are considering some kind of waste to energy project but maybe with less costly technology than plasma gasification.

At 4 million Baht/ton just to burn the stuff you would have be talking about GT200-scale "commissions".

I've got a proposal on my desk for a plasma gasification system that will process 350 tons/day of MSW and generate about 8 MW of power. The cost of the whole system (gasifiers, gas engines, generators, and related equipment) is quoted as US$ 54,000,000 which would work out to about 5.1 MB/ton.

I'm guessing they are considering some kind of waste to energy project but maybe with less costly technology than plasma gasification.

At 4 million Baht/ton just to burn the stuff you would have be talking about GT200-scale "commissions".

Is that US$54m a day or a year?

Is that US$54m a day or a year?

That's the capital equipment cost.

So the news report is not precise enough and readers misconstrue it to mean incineration cost of Bt4m for every tonne of garbage.

Actual cost would have to be worked out using normal cost analysis - capital cost + replacement cost over a expected life span of the equipment and divided by total tonnage output. Cost of operation such as fuel, manpower, and disposal of residual less any energy returns and fertilizer production can be added thereafter to arrive at the expected incineration cost per tonne.

So the news report is not precise enough and readers misconstrue it to mean incineration cost of Bt4m for every tonne of garbage.

Actual cost would have to be worked out using normal cost analysis - capital cost + replacement cost over a expected life span of the equipment and divided by total tonnage output. Cost of operation such as fuel, manpower, and disposal of residual less any energy returns and fertilizer production can be added thereafter to arrive at the expected incineration cost per tonne.

As far as the reporting goes, it's the same old story. The reporter hasn't got a clue and the editor doesn't either. They just write down what they think they heard or what somebody told them they should have heard.

I think the cost quoted in the OP is just the investment cost.

As for the actual project, if they do it like I think they should do it, the current tariff "adders" for renewable energy projects mean that they have the potential to set up a profitable operation. On the other hand, I have a little bit of experience with this and that experience tells me that there are too many "influential persons" and/or politicians involved in municipal waste disposal to give me any hope that there will be any changes in the near term.