Thai-french Beef In Khon Kaen

jazzbo

I posted this in Western Food --

A new small shop has opened selling Thai-French beef from Sakon Nakhon (with Thai-French logo) in refrigerated Cryovac pouches. Looks to me (?) to be fresh not thawed from frozen i.e. not watery. Located just one block due South of TukCom / Oasis on the road that goes on the west side of the Kosa Hotel at the NW corner (nearly) underneath a Pepsi sign.

Pong Yang Kham Beef -- 'Excellent marbling scores... Natural feeding' Tel. 083-0256952 although the gent in the shop (that) morning does not speak English.

Every time I see "Thai'French Beef" I have to put in my 2 cents worth of opinion. I live in SH, and have been to the source, purchased the offerings and consumed the products. Bottom line, nothing, and I do mean , nothing, special about this producer of Charlois beef, slaughter house, or their products. It's just the usual, skinny, poor diet crappy beef you get everywhere else. For example, the ribeyes are sold tail on with no fat trimming what so ever. that gives you less tan 25 percent meat resulting in a true cost of around 2000 baht a kilo. In addition, it is fresh, I mean fresh, killed today or yesterday and zero aged. Wet, mushy, and no taste. The only decent buy is the sirloin which I grind up into hamburger and serve bacon wrapped for flavor. If , what you see in KK is the "real thing", it is of no consequence what so ever. Buy Makro, it';s just as crappy and a lot cheaper.

Kuhn B. -- No problem... I just told the Thai gent standing alone in his shop that day that I would put out a notice to farangs on a farang-read website that T-F beef is available ... the rest is up to him and any of his customers...

Every time I see "Thai'French Beef" I have to put in my 2 cents worth of opinion. I live in SH, and have been to the source, purchased the offerings and consumed the products. Bottom line, nothing, and I do mean , nothing, special about this producer of Charlois beef, slaughter house, or their products. It's just the usual, skinny, poor diet crappy beef you get everywhere else. For example, the ribeyes are sold tail on with no fat trimming what so ever. that gives you less tan 25 percent meat resulting in a true cost of around 2000 baht a kilo. In addition, it is fresh, I mean fresh, killed today or yesterday and zero aged. Wet, mushy, and no taste. The only decent buy is the sirloin which I grind up into hamburger and serve bacon wrapped for flavor. If , what you see in KK is the "real thing", it is of no consequence what so ever. Buy Makro, it';s just as crappy and a lot cheaper.

I buy the Thai french in Bangkok at the Emporium and Villa markets,it is the best in Thailand.I assume you bought copies.If you want cheap go water buffalo. :):D:D:D

I have used the Thai-French Beef outlet in Sakhon Nakhon since finding the place 6+ years ago... O.K., not up to the quality of USDA Prime, but so far above the local Thai Beef that is offered / available anywhere in Isaan.... I have even found it to be very close to the NZ Imported Beef that I use to get from a friend in Khon Kaen who imported for his resturarant...

Cheap??? No, but again far better than the Sickly Looking Thai Beef...

Pianoman in Kalasin

Find somebody in the village who slaughters at home (usually out back, don't go if you're squeamish). Get your beef from him. Beef filet runs 260baht a kilo. Of course it is too fresh. He just killed the poor beast. Age it yourself in the fridge. Not ideal I know, but in a plastic bag after two weeks you will be surprised at the difference. Longer if you have the nerve, but to put that in perspective I know that the fancy steak restaurants in the US age their beef for at least six weeks, sometimes as long as three months. I worked with a guy in Texas who had been a (real) butcher. He told me "she-iiit boy you can keep it for weeks. If it gets a little slick, just wipe it off with a damp cloth". If you've ever had a steak in Texas you'll understand that Texans know their beef. Problem with Thai beef is not enough fat on or in it. Fat gives the flavour (and the heart attack!).