House Security In Pattaya

manarak

If you have to take these sort of measures to protect your property or are that paranoid about where you live maybe you should consider relocating.

To another country

Have done that. After three or four break-ins a year I got fed-up and am now in Vietnam. Cheaper and better - no gangs of unemployed youths hanging around on the streets with guns. Virtually no burglary, although there is considerable petty theft from my office desk, motor-bike and similar. But just a dollar or two, here and there.

Thailand, or specifically Pattaya, Patong, parts of Bangkok, are crime-ridden cess-pits and unfortunately many people do not realise this when they visit a few times, then decide to retire there, buy a property and suffer the consequences.

I am now much better off, both financially and in peace of mind. Will go back to complete my divorce, then that's it - I'm outta there.

All robbers need to do is remove a few roof tiles and there in.

not in my house (welded steel mats 12mm between ceilings and attic).

Holy dooley, thats some serious armour work Naam.....& after all that work you will probably go out one day and forget to lock a door or window & they will get in that way.

Theres always a way in, it just depends on how determined the theives are. :)

I love the idea with the smoke generator. Must be difficult to navigate in an unknown house. Is it possible to mix it with some tear gas? :)

A smoke generator is an effective device for minimising loss, but will not stop the crooks doing all the damage just to get in.

Will a smoke generator work effectively in Thailand's hot climate?

Is it repeatable without refilling so the crooks can not set it off and come back a few hours later to finish of the job?

Great idea with the tear gas except for one factor, ,most times an alarm goes if it is in error so you will probable be it's only victim.

Best answer is an effective deterrent, may be a 5 meter man eating crocodile? :D

I love the idea with the smoke generator. Must be difficult to navigate in an unknown house. Is it possible to mix it with some tear gas? :)

A smoke generator is an effective device for minimising loss, but will not stop the crooks doing all the damage just to get in.

Will a smoke generator work effectively in Thailand's hot climate?

yes, they would work :D

Having it outside coupled to the alarm system would be ok. In the moment the alarm goes off, the burglars are trapped OUTSIDE in thick smoke then gun shots from loudspeakers....police sirens with that "hands up, the place is surrounded" announcement..hehehe...might be good enough for your average hobby burglar.

If you have to take these sort of measures to protect your property or are that paranoid about where you live maybe you should consider relocating.

Nothing paranoid about installing a burglar alarm and protecting what is dear to you. Maybe you haven't been burgled... yet. There's a certain sense of violation felt when you realise that someone has been inside your property and once you become a victim, your attitude changes.

My old place in Naklua was done 3 times in as many months last year. This after being absolutely un-kamoyed for the previous 20 years! Sign of the times so relocated to Isaan which is not as radical as HB's flit to Vietnam (I kept the wife too).

Question to HB; how do you put up with all that senseless bloody beep-beeping horns in Vietnam? Drove me up the <deleted>' wall.

Thing about Thailand Pattaya moreso is its a dump,a cheap nasty dump.Nothing substancial no culture just a mass of a mess.Beats me why anyone stays,just a 3 weeker here and its so bloody awful,thinking you need your brains fixing to stay here or probably already fixed

And you joined Thai Visa just to slag off Pattaya and the people that live here right?

I shall be waiting for your next post with bated breath :)

not in my house (welded steel mats 12mm between ceilings and attic).

1. Holy dooley, thats some serious armour work Naam.....& after all that work you will probably go out one day and forget to lock a door or window & they will get in that way.

2. Theres always a way in, it just depends on how determined the theives are. :)

1. the Mrs insisted on it. cost was negligible; just the regular steel mats which are used to reinforce concrete floors and ceilings.

2. if they are determined to swallow a bullet or being torn to pieces by my two vicious dogs... let them come.

<snip>

All I can say is that the so called movement detectors are virtually a waste of space especially in Thailand or any hot weather climate.They are foremost heat detectors,most effective in low temperatures,hot nights /days here you could virtually wave your body in front of them and they would not work.

The cheap and most effective type here as far as I'm concerned are the so called rape alarms,fit the small box to a wall,extend the line with thin virtually invisible fishing line,used as a trip wire,sometimes at the beach I throw one into a bag and tie one end to the chair,bag goes missing and it sets off a high pitched wail.

Anyway the majority of expats living here as far as I'm thinking have a lot to hide,probably mostly on the run from law enforcement from their own countries,fraudsters,robbers,dickheads in their own right,they don't want to fall into the trap that they themselves were involved in.There's got to be some other reason why there are so many ex pats living here ,it cannot be just the weather and the girls alone. The guy who is my landlord here at the moment did a 21 year stretch as I was informed of latterly,still if you can't beat 'em.....

There are now very reliable Dual Technology (DT) detectors available that can handle hot humid weather. Passive Infra Red (PIR) detectors function by detecting the change in temperature in its range. PIRs are reliable when fitted in house and shops. You are correct about what you said about PIRs not working too well in very hot temperatures, what happens is that the air around the detectors is so hot that it cannot distingush between its enviroment and a human being.

DTs have a PIR & a microwave that work together to detect intruders. The microwave detector sends a microwave signal which scans around the room and is received back to the detector. A significant change in the received signal coupled with the PIRs signal then triggers an alarm, i.e. an intruder.

I have installed these detectors in Butchers warehouses and even in Saunas. Ones I recommend are Honeywell & Scantronic.

I have very much been interested to read other members thoughts on crime prevention for their homes. One client of mine had all the bells & whistles alarms, grilles, locks, security lighting, etc. however he was still being burgled. He had a large pond in his garden with Koi Carp fish and was getting fed up with the hassle & expense of having his fish stolen. He is an electrician by trade so one day he constructed a floor mat made of a stronger version of kitchen foil and connected this to the 230 volt electricity supply. Safe to say he has not had any fish stolen since then however on two occasions when he has forgotten to turn it off he has walked out late at night onto the foil and fryed himself.

Peace

Edited by Clive sorts

Many of the businesses near Thapae Gate in Chiang Mai have been broken into and it is always throught the roof. Other than woven steel mats - or something similar - which I have been told is very expensive and time consuming, there is very little one can do to protect against it. sad.gif

Edited by Ulysses G.

All I can say is that the so called movement detectors are virtually a waste of space

The infra red cameras that also have alarms attract insects that set off the alarm when there are enough of them. They are good for watching what is going on, but a waste of time for detecting intruders.