Thai/ Buddhist Tattoo Designs

tariq

Hi

I'm looking for some authentic, genuine thai/ buddhist tattoo designs. I've spent hours looking on the net but I'm having difficulty finding anything.

Does anyone know of any web-sites that could help me?

Thanks

Taz...

I don't think there are tatoos as part of the Buddist tradition. I asked my wife (a Thai) and she doesn't think so either. She says a monk can get a tatoo if they want but its not an integral part of their monkiness. She says Thais go to get tatoos to give them more power or so that knives can not hurt them and supernatural things like that. I remember seeing on the television that there were some gangs that were getting tatoos....probably so they would be invincible......but I don't think any of this comes from the Buddist tradition.

Indeed, I believe it comes from the Animist faiths that predates Buddhism in LoS (also many Hill Tribes still follow). Some Thais have 'converted' these into Buddhist pictures and script (Pali), but it isn't really related to Buddhism at all.

Indeed, I believe it comes from the Animist faiths that predates Buddhism in LoS (also many Hill Tribes still follow). Some Thais have 'converted' these into Buddhist pictures and script (Pali), but it isn't really related to Buddhism at all.

Thanks.... even if anyone knows where i can find any buddhist pictures or scripts that i could use as a tattoo design would be a start.

thanks.

If you are looking for something with meaning then please tell us what types of meanings that interest you. For example, at Thai funerals there will always be four monks who hold large fan like signs in front of their faces while chanting. These say (from right to left as I recall) born, old, pain, death.....or at least this is how my wife has translated them. I'm sure if you wanted these as a tatoo then someone could send you this script in Thai. Otherwise be more specific about what you want. For various occasions there are various chants done by monks and these should be fairly easily obtainable too....but you would need to learn what they mean and they are often kind of long so you would need to pick what part of them you would want unless you want a major portion of your body tatooed. Many people I've seen on television do have a large portion of their bodies tatooed with what looks like script.

Also there are many different styles of Thai scripts. You might want to learn about some of these to be sure you get the one you like the best.

And a question for anyone: Would getting a tatoo of the Buddha be a blessing or a sacrelige?

Edited by chownah

And a question for anyone: Would getting a tatoo of the Buddha be a blessing or a sacrelige?

Sacrilige may be a bit strong a word, but Thai people don't do it and look on it as being "dirty", There are some Chinese monks who have a Buddha tattoo, and Thais don't appreciate it.

Similar to tattoos of Royalty, not that I have ever seen one.

Sacrilige may be a bit strong a word, but Thai people don't do it and look on it as being "dirty", There are some Chinese monks who have a Buddha tattoo, and Thais don't appreciate it.

Similar to tattoos of Royalty, not that I have ever seen one.

Hmmm I suppose getting a tatoo with a buddha image would be a bit of a no no then. I have dreams of living in thailand at some point in my life and if the Thais saw a tattoo of a buddha image I'd imagine they would presume I was being disrespectful. I wouldn't want that. Maybe I'll opt for Thai script instead.

If you are looking for something with meaning then please tell us what types of meanings that interest you. For example, at Thai funerals there will always be four monks who hold large fan like signs in front of their faces while chanting. These say (from right to left as I recall) born, old, pain, death.....or at least this is how my wife has translated them. I'm sure if you wanted these as a tatoo then someone could send you this script in Thai. Otherwise be more specific about what you want. For various occasions there are various chants done by monks and these should be fairly easily obtainable too....but you would need to learn what they mean and they are often kind of long so you would need to pick what part of them you would want unless you want a major portion of your body tatooed. Many people I've seen on television do have a large portion of their bodies tatooed with what looks like script.

Also there are many different styles of Thai scripts. You might want to learn about some of these to be sure you get the one you like the best.

Thanks for your help. I think I'll do a bit more investigating on Thai scrip. I'm thinking maybe thai proverbs.

Cheers.