Where To Release My Terrapins?

Richb2004v2

We have had a collection of nine terrapins in our garden and pond for about four years now. We were given them by various people and they are of three or four different types. Now we are starting to organize a move back to my home country I am wondering what to do with them. I could of course release them back into the wild but I feel they will quickly be caught again and end up in poor circumstances. Has anyone an idea of a quite spot where they might stand a chance of living free. I know this is a bit hypocritical as they have not been free in my garden for the past years but I figure better there than in a pot some where.

Plan B: whatever they are, stick some fur over them, make your way to Pattaya and stop as soon as you see 2 roman centurions & Pluto, don't be intimidated by the sight of a fella holding high a bottle of lao cao, that's Nicky and is innocuous, aks for the crazy guy with the red shirt, as soon as you meet him just say you got something for his shelter and if start to ask questions, tell him they are a cross-breeds, job done and you don't even need to thanks me for that :)

Yes I would prefer that they do not go to make a meal for someone.

The terrapins range from fully grown red necked, box terrapins and up to quite large ones that I can't remember the name of. I've attached a picture of them in the bottom of my empty pond. I have two ponds for them which they dip in and out of, but spend most of their time wandering around the garden. Neither of the ponds is very big.

Thanks for the offers. I'm sure that one of you can give a good home. As soon as we are closer to moving I will get in touch.

post-33112-1266907378_thumb.jpg

They look bigger than my pond!!!

We've had problems with big ones climbing out of the pond and going walkabout and not coming back so don't think they'd suit my pond. (You didn't find them wandering the streets of Shinthavee Garden by any chance did you?)

They would surely survive at Wat Yang though.

A lot of Thai go there and release terrapins / turtles and fish to make merit and they get well fed by the visitors.

Too bad you are not closed to Fort Worth, Texas. I have a few T. ornada & T. triungus here in the back yard (in hibernation) and I am sure that they would enjoy interacting with some 'foreign exchange students'!

• 5 months later...

Too bad you are not closed to Fort Worth, Texas. I have a few T. ornada & T. triungus here in the back yard (in hibernation) and I am sure that they would enjoy interacting with some 'foreign exchange students'!

Are they an indigenous species?

If not you shouldn't release them into the wild.