Failed Life In Uk Test

My wife has tried and failed the life in the Uk test two times now. She has run out of time and needs to apply for a visa within the next couple of weeks. Obviously she cant apply for the ILR. So we will ask for an extension FLR(M) to give her more time to pass the stupid test or attend school. Is this a valid reason to have an extension granted. Is it automatically granted in this case, and will they give her 2 years or a limited period.

Any other members with this kind of experience, your advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Yorkieb

Hi Yorkieb

My wife was in a similar position a couple of years ago. She was studying ESOL and was at level 2 and hadn't progressed to level 3 so she had to apply again for FLR.

Application process was straight forward, we added a covering letter with the application form which explained why she was applying again for FLR. She now has ILR as she passed ESOL level 3.

Best of luck bud.

Clive

Edited by Clive sorts

Hi Yorkieb

My wife was in a similar position a couple of years ago. She was studying ESOL and was at level 2 and hadn't progressed to level 3 so she had to apply again for FLR.

Application process was straight forward, we added a covering letter with the application form which explained why she was applying again for FLR. She now has ILR as she passed ESOL level 3.

Best of luck bud.

Clive

Hi Clive.....If they complete the ESOL at level 3 does this mean they don't have to do the test, I did the practise test and failed!!! It's a worry me and my wife have when the time comes for her ILR?

Thanks

Andy

Hi Yorkieb

Best of luck bud.

Clive

Hi Clive.....If they complete the ESOL at level 3 does this mean they don't have to do the test, I did the practise test and failed!!! It's a worry me and my wife have when the time comes for her ILR?

Also how long does it usually take and how much does it cost?

Thanks

Andy

Hi Andy, if your wife completes her ESOL course she'll complete level 3 but she only needs to progress 1 level to qualify for her ILR, my wife started at level 1 in the September and completed level 2 by the February and applied for and recieved her ILR in the March but continued the course until the June and completed the course. My wifes ESOL course was free and started in the September and finished in the June. If your wife completes the course then she doesn't have to do the Life in the UK test.

Brigante7.

If you are British, have lived here all your life I suspect you will fail the practice Life in the UK test!!!!

I hate to admit that even with google I managed to fail it!!! In effect much of the test is of your ability to read and learn largely irrelevent facts in the set book.

I struggled with how many parliamentry constituencies are there? When were women first given the vote? All very useful stuff I am sure.

The test seems pretty silly but I am sure there are very good reasons for all the questions!

My wife is doing an ESOL course at the local college, has made new friends and is having fun there. You only have to show that you have moved up a level eg from ESOL level 1 to ESOL level 2 etc. If your English is ESOL level 3 you need to take the test. It is around £35 I think and needs to be taken at an approved centre but there are quite a lot of these.

A previous poster said the course his wife was on was free - lucky you - these are usually charged for and the range seems to be £250-£400 depending on the college. Still good value though.

Edited by bobrussell

It is up to the individual whether they take the test or sit a course; but unless their English ability is at ESOL entry level 3 or better then it is unlikely that they will be able to understand the study materials, and the test itself, well enough to be able to pass.

If sitting a course an ordinary ESOL course is not enough; it must be an ESOL course with citizenship materials.

See Knowledge of language and life in the UK

It is up to the individual whether they take the test or sit a course; but unless their English ability is at ESOL entry level 3 or better then it is unlikely that they will be able to understand the study materials, and the test itself, well enough to be able to pass.

If sitting a course an ordinary ESOL course is not enough; it must be an ESOL course with citizenship materials.

Hi

I brought my wife the Life in the UK book and test questions for Xmas, my wife was a student here for 2 years learning english and her speaking and writing are good but I must admit that she is not the best at reading especially a whole book in english and learning it by herself, can anyone suggest a good ESOL college in London that she could attend a couple of time a week etc, I dont mind having to pay but if anyone knows of a free/cheap one that would be good or even a website I could go on to find the nearest one to where I live in North London.

Thanking you in advance

Yorkieb

........ your partner can console herself in knowing that a lot of Brit's take the test on-line just for the hel_l of it - and fail! Myself included - I got 10 out of 24!!!!

hel_l only knows how foreign citizens would be able to answer some of the questions asked!

The way my wife passed it is by memorising the questions in the book,the online test will help, but by just keep going over and over the same questions,she will learn just by repetition.My wife passed 2nd or third time i think,but i was really proud of her for putting in the effort as i never thought she would pass.

a lot of Brit's take the test on-line just for the hel_l of it - and fail! Myself included - I got 10 out of 24!!!!
As this is a subject rarely taught in schools, that is hardly surprising.

What I find absurd isn't that immigrants have to learn this stuff; it's that British children don't!

hel_l only knows how foreign citizens would be able to answer some of the questions asked!
The same way as any one passes any exam; by proper study.

Kudos to Mrs hgvneil for putting in the effort. Although memorising all the possible questions and answers does seem to me to be a hard way of doing it; she would not have been able to do this if her English hadn't been good enough, which is the main point.

yorkieb i know many many ladies here in the good ol uk who have failes this test my god us felang wouldnt pass it but they will grant your wife as many extensions as you need 2yrs at a time but the price has gone up to near a 1000 pounds now. before it was 500 .good luck to your missus un the future :)

I know a couple of people who have done these tests in the london area, and have passed and they defianetly are not up to scratch in fact i think they had someone do it for them and it did cost a bit ! not implying to cheat mind but where there is a will there is way !

Those taking the test have to provide photo ID before being allowed to take it.

Attempting to take the test on behalf of someone else could result in criminal proceedings being taken out against both the person taking the test and the person they are taking it for.

It will also be reported to the Home Office and could result in any application for leave to remain in the UK being refused, or even the person being removed immediately. The person concerned could also be banned from applying again for any type of visa for the UK for a period of 10 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Permanent visa ILR & level 3 English test

I am a little confused about the above; a friend of my Thai wife has just told her that she now has a permanent visa after taking level 1 – 3 English studies. . We are very surprised as her English is very poor and I haven’t seen any evidence she can read. I believe it is the government approved ones ESOL. She hasn’t taken the life in the UK test.

I am sure I have read in the past on the relevant government websites that seem to indicate you still need to pass the life in the UK test, but reading the above posts it seems I am wrong.

My wife is studying for the life test and we are now very confused.

My wife’s English and reading skills are very good but the test "is" very difficult. Should she now just enroll on the ESOL.

Glad to see you are still here 7by7 can you clear this one up for us please.

Chewy, the requirement is to either pass the LitUK test or make progress at least one level in an ESOL with citizenship course.

The test route is probably quicker and cheaper, but in order to understand the study materials and then the test itself one's English ability needs to be at ESOL entry level 3 or better.

If it isn't, then one should enroll on an ESOL with citizenship course. When one does so, one's English ability will be assessed and when one progresses to the next level one will be issued with a certificate to say prove this. This certificate is sufficient to meet the knowledge of language and life in the UK requirement for ILR and citizenship.

See Knowledge of language and life in the UK.

Some of the private language schools seem to be taking a rather liberal approach to the requirements for moving from one ESOL level to the next. My wife is doing a non-approved ESOL course at the local college and getting on very well indeed. As it is not Home Office approved she can either go on a course with another local college which will take many weeks and quite strictly follow the Home Office guidelines or go to a private college where amazingly things can be sorted in a much shorter time!

I suspect if she went only to the private school she would get the right paperwork for ILR but would not learn much english! I have a feeling that some private language schools offer a short-cut!

I still think the exam route is quite a struggle for most people.

Hi

I brought my wife the Life in the UK book and test questions for Xmas, my wife was a student here for 2 years learning english and her speaking and writing are good but I must admit that she is not the best at reading especially a whole book in english and learning it by herself, can anyone suggest a good ESOL college in London that she could attend a couple of time a week etc, I dont mind having to pay but if anyone knows of a free/cheap one that would be good or even a website I could go on to find the nearest one to where I live in North London.

Thanking you in advance

Dunno whereabouts in North London you live but if Southgate is any good to you i found this http://www.southgate.ac.uk/international/i...ur_english.html

Failing that, most London Boroughs will have adult education centres where these courses should be available. Check your local council website.

Good luck.

Hi all, just wanted to add my two penneth worth(for what its worth!)

My TW passed LIUK test last year, she was a teacher in TL and she can read and write relatively good english, she studied the LIUK test book for about 4 weeks memorised the Q's & A's then passed quite easily, however she didnt actually understand most of the Q's or why the A's where what they were, she passed because she has a good memory thats all! I agree this is a totally pointless test, the test in my opinion(and hers!) should be about 'HOW' life is in the UK, IE how to set up bank accounts, how to travel, poll tax, paying bills, how to use buses, trains and taxi's, what to insure and what not to! How to get a job, save, pensions, banking systems, what to do in an emergency, how the NHS works i could go on but i think u get the jist by now..so really this was just a paper exersise really and nothing more.

The other day I showed her how to use a bus and how to make sure she took the correct one! She may have been a good teacher in TL but over here, catching a bus on your own for the 1st time in a queue of people all rushing you is quite a daunting prospect! When will this country ever learn???

Hi Yorkieb

Best of luck bud.

Clive

Thanks

Andy

Hi Andy

To my knowledge and spending much time talking to college teachers the student has to progress from one ESOL level to the next, i.e. if they begin on level 1 then they must pass level 1 & 2.. The course must also include life skills.

Regards

Clive

• 2 weeks later...

My wife has been doing such a course since January and is getting quite a lot out of it. She has considerably more confidence in the day to day challenges of living in the UK.

A good ESOL course such as the one run by our local college is well worth going on - much more useful and relevant than knowing how many parliamentary constituencies there are and what powers are devolved to the regional assemblies. Who can possibly live a full and happy life in the UK without knowing what year women got the vote?

I agree that enrolling on an ESOL course can be very fulfilling and have intangible benefits not associated with the KOL requirement. However, there is obviously a need for two routes to satisfying this requirement.

How would an immigrant who is already proficient in English, maybe even a native English speaker, benefit from an ESOL course?

Some of the questions in the LitUK test can seem a bit irrelevant, but remember that the main purpose is to test the candidates English ability, and the questions have to be about something. What would people prefer? Questions about the goings on in Coronation Street and EastEnders!?

Or maybe bore the pants off them with the Corn Laws and Agrarian Revolution! (Hands up all those who think that Jethro Tull was the singer with a '70s progressive rock band!)

Perhaps the test should be based upon the information contained in the UKBA page Rights and responsibilities; which to a large extent it is.

People may say that they cannot see the point of questions like when did women get the vote, but look through What you need to know and you will see that much of the information will be useful in people's later life. Remember that not all immigrants have a British spouse to help them with these things.

I am no big fan of this current government and it's policy regarding visa and LTR application fees. However, I think that this requirement, though not perfect in it's implementation, is an excellent idea.

• 1 year later...
but remember that the main purpose is to test the candidates English ability, and the questions have to be about something.

I am sorry but this is complete misinformation. It is not, in any way shape or form a diagnostical tool to assess language ability/level.

Edited by fatpig2