The North South Debate

tigerfish

ive just been on another forum, which is solely geared towards the topic of rugby. one of the hot issues at the moment is the debate over the new ruling in this years super 14 that concerns the breakdown area after the tackle.

theres the usual slanging match going on from both ends of the globe over, "would you rather see 6-3, 9-0 scorelines. compared to 72-65 ones" then theres the comparison arguement going on over turning rugby union into some form of the league game.

want i want to ask the members of tv here that are interest in union is!

1. do you like the new law that has been brought into the super 14 and why, for what reasons?

2. do you think it detracts from the game,in the skill of winning back the ball at the breakdown?

3. do you think it would be a good thing for the northern hemisphire competitions to bring it in?

4. would it nessarily be a good law to be brought in for the world cup and international games?

my take on it is, no no no and no. yes you may get more points in the games, but! lets take for example probably the best rugby union side in the world n.z. the breakdown area is what makes them such a great team and hard to beat. players like richie mcaw thrive on it, aswell as others like martyn williams and the likes of lewis moody to name a few. as one of the other members pointed out on the other forum. its not only what you do with the ball, its what you do to try and regain it and how, thats important too.

i like rugby league but the two codes of the game are completly different, and i want it to stay that way. we already have to much kicking in the game. another trait of league that has been brought into union, to try and spruce the game up a bit. i my opinion though it has had the reverse effect.

so guy whats your take on it, i know there are those of you out their that hail from all corners of the rugby globe, and im interested to here your views.