Sorry?

onnut

Last night when I went to drive home from work I got to my car in the car park and could not drive it out because someone had left there car parked in front of mine but did not put it in Nutrual.

so off I went to find a guard to see if they knew who owned the car or could move it out the way for me. suprise suprise, they could not move it nor knew whos it was.

anyway, after having to wait nearly an hour a guy turned up and the guard told him I had waited nearly an hour and the guy just looks at my car and gets into his.

no sorry or not even a sheepish look, nothing! rude POS!

why is it so hard for Thai Nationals to say SORRY? i dont understand it, its such an easy word, even in Thai. it can also make most situations much better.

I would be mortified had I been him, but he cant even look at me and say SORRY!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You certainly do have parking troubles.

In this case I would have been sorely pis*ed off and also expected at least a word of apology. However, I have seen plenty of Thais apologize in similar situations, although to fellow Thais.

On nutcase....!

why don't you nick your neighbours plant pots then keep them ready in the boot of your car and put them either side when you park like traffic road cones ! job done..loads of space and staying green too :)

I parked once blocked someone in and didn't leave it in neutral...got back and realised somehow the car i had blocked in had vanished..and knowing there was no way out without me moving i was like <deleted> was it Harry Potters car... then a guard came running over and gesticulating i was bad person but they moved my car

with a pallet truck.... you know the internationl language for pallet truck? pretend your on one of those small cartoonish trains that are hand powered...

just in case...ask for a pallet truck...

Same thing happened to me at Emporium a few years ago.

I waited by my car while the shop called out his number plate. It took him an hour to turn up.

It is my guess that he heard his plate number but didn't give two hoots.

He made no attempt to apologize before getting in his car while I waited by mine.

As he closed his door, I put my hand out to stop him and asked him why he couldn't even apologize for inconveniencing me for over an hour.

All I received was a shrug... as infuriating as it was he only got called a few expletives...

I would love to know what makes these people tick to really teach them a lesson for their self-centeredness and deliberate ignorance.

IDEA... If this happens, Nails on the floor in front of their car... So as they move away to clear the space, their tyre deflates !

Not exactly on topic but I do take great pleasure at Tesco in pushing these double parked cars as far away from the shop entrance as possible, I do this when the individual is too lazy to use a parking space 10 yards away but would rather block someone in that could be a pensioner or a woman. I have in the past pushed the car a good 70 metres to the far end of the car park. (this is when the carpark is not even half full)

On one occasion I asked someone why they were parking that way as they were getting out of their car, when there were parking spaces very close by, I pointed out how selfish it is and they moved. And why is it always the pick ups that do this making it even harder to push them.

I've found that Thai's are unable to understand the concept of causing inconvenience to others. Whenever it happens (often) all you get is a blank stare of incomprehension.

It is, I imagine, recognised immediately if someone else were to cause any inconvenience to them.

Edited by ukrules

On nutcase....!

why don't you nick your neighbours plant pots then keep them ready in the boot of your car and put them either side when you park like traffic road cones ! job done..loads of space and staying green too :D

:D

Yes, indeed, ON seems to have alot of issues with parking.

Perhaps he should take the bus. :) It seems the grannies in his soi have spoken to their native mates and now they are all out to get him. :D

I had it one time at the shopping Mall, I had a nagging wife and two screaming kids with me in the car. When I called the guard over to get it moved he just looked at me like there as nothing he could do about it and we would just have to wait. I then got my wife to tell him that if It wasn't moved in 5 minutes I would be smashing the window and moving it myself. 2 minutes later he ran back with a Car jack and towed it out of the way. I'm sure all of the shopping malls have a jack there just to lazy to use them. I know getting angry is a no go in Thailand but its amazing how quickly things get done when you do.

I hate the double parked cars, but all the shopping centers have car jacks to move them. I think the guard was just lazy in your case. Whenever someone double parks blocking me, forcing me to move their car, I always spit a big lugie on the drivers window.

Having a camera in your pocket can help motivate some people. If you take out that camera and make sure to BE SEEN to be taking shots of the offender's vehicle and the whole scenario, particularly things like get down on one knee for a close-up of the number plate and bluff tactics like that. You don't even need batteries in the camera, but it's the thought that counts. People will see what it looks like you're doing and shape up their act for the camera.

:)

I've found that Thai's are unable to understand the concept of causing inconvenience to others. Whenever it happens (often) all you get is a blank stare of incomprehension.

Bingo! Give Phil a Kewpie doll from the top shelf. He is spot on. Thais do not have the comprehension to understand inconveniencing others. It happens so often all you can do is shrug. Getting blocked in, or not having anywhere to park is why I ride a motorcycle.

There are times I wish I could just own a huge, 18 wheeler that I would just park anywhere and block everyone. But, the funny thing is that if I did, the Thais wouldn't even notice.

Onnut...you are not tipping the security guard are you? 50 baht a week and i am sure your passage will be clear! :)

As already stated you try parking in front of one of there shopfronts or access areas they are up and down the street instantly.

Edited by NADTATIDA1

I was blocked in once whilst parked outside a 7-11. Wifey and I returned to the trusty Triton and couldn't move.

After 10 minutes the wife went and found a policeman who proceeded to write out a ticket, waited for the guy to return and relieved him of 400 bht.

When he saw me the guy started shouting about 'Only blocking in a Farang'. I am pleased to say the cop gave him a lecture about the inconvenience he had caused.

I would have said something which would have elicitied a groping apolgy.

I guess a groping apology is a uniquely Australian ritual :) .

I have a similar complaint about cars blocking me however.

I hate driving myself in Bangkok so invariably use a Driver.

Many times I will go to a Shopping Centre - Seacon is a usual place - go shopping and return an hour or so later only to find my car is blocked in. Only when I actually get back to the car does the Driver start making a move to push the offending vehicle / s out of the way. OK, it only takes minutes but why has the bu99er been sitting there, watching us being boxed in and doing nothing until the last minute when we finally want to move?

grrrrr

Patrick

Edit : spelling

Edited by p_brownstone

I would have said something which would have elicitied a groping apolgy.

I guess a groping apology is a uniquely Australian ritual :) .

I have a similar complaint about cars blocking me however.

I hate driving myself in Bangkok so invariably use a Driver.

Many times I will go to a Shopping Centre - Seacon is a usual place - go shopping and return an hour or so later only to find my car is blocked in. Only when I actually get back to the car does the Driver start making a move to push the offending vehicle / s out of the way. OK, it only takes minutes but why has the bu99er been sitting there, watching us being boxed in and doing nothing until the last minute when we finally want to move?

grrrrr

Patrick

Edit : spelling

I guess that might be because while that one car is there blocking you in, no other car can get the chance to take over that space and block you twice over?

I had it one time at the shopping Mall, I had a nagging wife and two screaming kids with me in the car. When I called the guard over to get it moved he just looked at me like there as nothing he could do about it and we would just have to wait. I then got my wife to tell him that if It wasn't moved in 5 minutes I would be smashing the window and moving it myself. 2 minutes later he ran back with a Car jack and towed it out of the way. I'm sure all of the shopping malls have a jack there just to lazy to use them. I know getting angry is a no go in Thailand but its amazing how quickly things get done when you do.

Yes, they do have jacks to move the cars with but it is sooooo much trouble to get their fingers out for a mere Farang :)

Another poster mentioned leaving the motorbike on the ground. I had a guy who had cleaned his bike but instead of leaving it horizontal to his gate he left it protruding out in the narrow soi. After several toots of the horn and getting no response I moved the nice clean bike and laid it in a nice dirty part of the road. He came out of his house as I got back into my car and gave me such a dirty look. I shrugged my shoulders and drove off. He has parked better since :D

One time after waiting an hour I let the car's tyres down.

When it's motorbikes, I leave them on the ground after moving them.

I have found a potato or a papaya up the exhaust works a treat.

Sugar in the petrol tank totally ruins the engine so it can never be used again - i forgot about that one.

There's an old pick up outside my house - where's the sugar?